Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 30,756 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Savannah and I have a 5 year old son. Me and my husband would love to have him go to a great school. We are originally for N.Y; so we are big on diversity. We both went to schools with children form all different ethnic backgrounds and we would love for him to be exposed to the same experiences. Are there any diverse areas in Savannah Ga, that has good schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 AM

970 posts, read 2,952,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbailey677 View Post
I am planning on moving to Savannah and I have a 5 year old son. Me and my husband would love to have him go to a great school. We are originally for N.Y; so we are big on diversity. We both went to schools with children form all different ethnic backgrounds and we would love for him to be exposed to the same experiences. Are there any diverse areas in Savannah Ga, that has good schools?
The city itself is diverse; majority black by about a 65/35 ratio, if not 70/30. The public schools in the city limits are, by & large, majority black also, but are not good. You'll find your better public schools typically in the county, but you'll also encounter a majority white population in them. Beyond that, for a quality education, many people send their kids to a private school, the vast majority of them being a Christian setting. Here, the vast majority of students are white.

I don't know if this answers your question or not.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 AM

737 posts, read 2,460,806 times
"We are originally for N.Y; so we are big on diversity. We both went to schools with children form all different ethnic backgrounds and we would love for him to be exposed to the same experiences."

You caught me with this line.
That was the way I grew up.
In N.Y.
Diversity is what Savannah is all about.
But I can't really say anything about the schools.
Don't have kids anymore.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 PM

214 posts, read 900,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
"We are originally for N.Y; so we are big on diversity. We both went to schools with children form all different ethnic backgrounds and we would love for him to be exposed to the same experiences."

You caught me with this line.
That was the way I grew up.
In N.Y.
Diversity is what Savannah is all about.
But I can't really say anything about the schools.
Don't have kids anymore.

The public schools in Savannah are basically segregated. Chatham County is 55% white and 40% Black.

The public schools in the Savannah area are basically 100% black and are very poor performing schools. I would not send my kids there. It is not diverse and can be dangerous.

All the white kids all go to private schools or schools out in the suburbs - Pooler, Richmond Hill or Rincon.

Sadly when you look at the performance of the schools all you have to do is look at the ethnic make up of the school and that tells the story.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 PM

"Sadly when you look at the performance of the schools all you have to do is look at the ethnic make up of the school and that tells the story."

HUH?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
"Sadly when you look at the performance of the schools all you have to do is look at the ethnic make up of the school and that tells the story."

HUH?

Was responding to the original post not you.

But the statement you copied is a fact. All you have to do is do the research. I don't like it more than anyone else. Maybe we just shouldn't talk about it and it will get better if noone says anything. D, JD.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:52 PM

Ahhh...
Now I'm tracking.
And we should talk about it.
A predominently black school doesn't measure up?
Sub-par teachers?
Lower standards?
Lack of concern by the public at large?
Why are we letting this happen?
The youth are the future of our nation.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Ahhh...
Now I'm tracking.
And we should talk about it.
A predominently black school doesn't measure up?
Sub-par teachers?
Lower standards?
Lack of concern by the public at large?
Why are we letting this happen?
The youth are the future of our nation.
Yes we should talk about it Al. Unfortunately there is a lot that needs to be talked about with the "future of our nation." But people that speak the truth in this situation are attacked and labled. See Bill Cosby.

The truth is the same it's not the teachers or standards: Same teachers and standards as any other school in the country. It all boils down to the PARENTS!

Something must be done though. Young minority boys are "terrorizing" our city - Savannah, and many other cities in our country. Just watch the news every night and look at the arm robbery, murder, rape, etc.'s faces. 99% of them are young black boys. Terror and fear is what the result is on our streets. But the govt. wants to focus on 221 terrorist in Cuba??????? We have tens of thousands of "terrorist" on our streets. Lets solve that problem.
Sorry about the soapbox. Just hate to see our beautiful city terrorized everyday by these troublemakers. Again, all falls back on the PARENTS.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:03 PM

726 posts, read 3,604,750 times
The Savannah Chatham County Public School System has its inner city, islands, and westside schools. There are also many Charter, Magnet, and specialty schools in the system. A very large and very diverse student body. Excellent programs for parents to chose from. Islands and Westside Schools have the better scores. Savannah Arts Academy is one of the very few top rated public schools in the state as far as College readiness is concerned
Best High Schools 2009 Search U.S.News & World Report—
Savannah Arts Academy: Best High Schools - USNews.com
Oglethorpe Charter is the most sought after Middle school in the area

Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools (http://www.sccpss.com/District/Academic+Affairs/Academies+(Magnet)/About+the+Academies+Program.htm - broken link)

Study the SCCPSS website. The opportunities are there.
Savannah-Chatham County, Georgia Public Schools
We have children in SAA, OA, DeRenne MS, and Bloomingdale Elementary

The Rincon and Richmond Hill schools can offer neither the enrichment opportunities nor diversity of the SCCPSS

imho

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 01-27-2009 at 08:19 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 AM

10 posts, read 30,756 times
Thank you everyone!! All of your responses have been very helpful. I am actually a teacher so I hope that I can bring change to the inner city Savannah area. My son currently goes to a Montessori school and I am afraid that he will not be challenged in a public school. I agree that it is up to the PARENTS to invest in their children as this is the only way to gain success-since we all know that teachers are only capable of doing so much....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area