Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:19 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,570,003 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain why the food costs--as in grocery store food costs--are 107 on sperlingsbestplaces.com when 100 is the norm? That means that food costs in the Savannah area are way over normal. Why?
I can understand price gouging in Hilton Head, SC, but why Savannah? Isn't much food grown around the southern end of Georgia? I should think so, but I'm not there to testify to this.
Can anyone explain this oddity to me? Is it because it is a tourist area? That is the only logical explanation I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 AM

737 posts, read 2,460,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Can anyone explain why the food costs--as in grocery store food costs--are 107 on sperlingsbestplaces.com when 100 is the norm? That means that food costs in the Savannah area are way over normal. Why?
I can understand price gouging in Hilton Head, SC, but why Savannah? Isn't much food grown around the southern end of Georgia? I should think so, but I'm not there to testify to this.
Can anyone explain this oddity to me? Is it because it is a tourist area? That is the only logical explanation I can think of.
And the point of this exercise would be...?
Does the food cost govern where you would live?
Just askin', is all.

I got waaay more important things to do then analyse food costs.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
No, not much food, with the exception of turnips and collards, is grown in the Low Country Area. It's too hot. We raise timber, tobacco, peanuts and cotton. There are some strawberry fields and tomatoes in season, but just about every thing is trucked in. The soil is not the most productive either. It was farmed for too many years by farmers that really didn't understand conservation.

We just don't have the big farms like they do in California. Growing conditions just aren't the same.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks, Padgett2, that explains it totally. Soil has been tilled in places like Greece so much that they can no longer grow decent crops (except figs seem to like the over-tilled soil). I was thinking that Georgia has great growing soil, but maybe not anymore. And I didn't realize it was that hot in the Low Country--beautiful country, anyway (hey! I watch Paula Deen's show..haha!). Your food costs there are really outrageously high considering what they are all over the majority of the U.S.A.
In cities like Las Vegas--where nothing is grown locally--it makes sense, but I figured your area would be able to grow more than they do. Figured wrong, and thanks for setting me straight.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:03 PM

214 posts, read 900,432 times
Quote:
SWGA is the main farming area and peanuts, cotton and corn are the main crops. SoyBeans are grown sometimes when the prices are right.

Statesboro area is a major farming area which is 1 hour west of Savannah but it is the same crops mentioned above. Vidalia onions are the big crop in a 5 county area about 90 miles west of Savannah.

There aren't a lot of big vegatable farms in Georgia.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
It's not just a matter of what is grown, it's the processing plants, canneries and places like that. There is just not enough grown to make building them worthwhile.

The so-called "Piedmont" area, around Macon probably has the best soil. In the Low Country coastal area, a lot of the soil is sandy and acid.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:29 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Food's expensive here?

Truthfully, we've never had such great soil. It's sandy and requires a lot of fertilizer, etc. There's also a layer of hardpan beneath many agricultural areas that prevents good drainage and the high rate of precipitation and heat causes nutrients to rapidly leach out. I learned this from a soil scientist. It has nothing to do with "spent" soil or tourism.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Boy! was my perception of Georgia soil off-base. I always saw Georgia as this great agricultural State. Now I know better. Thanks for explaining. Still a neat State.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:15 PM

214 posts, read 900,432 times
Quote:
Boy! was my perception of Georgia soil off-base. I always saw Georgia as this great agricultural State. Now I know better. Thanks for explaining. Still a neat State.
You read wrong. GA is a MAJOR agriculture state. The largest producer of peanuts and one of the largest producers of cotton and corn. The soil is excellent in southwest GA, middle GA, parts of southeast GA and parts of North GA.

Vegetables is not a major crop in Georgia but it has nothing to do with the soil. It has to do with the climate.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:47 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
You read wrong. GA is a MAJOR agriculture state. The largest producer of peanuts and one of the largest producers of cotton and corn. The soil is excellent in southwest GA, middle GA, parts of southeast GA and parts of North GA.

Vegetables is not a major crop in Georgia but it has nothing to do with the soil. It has to do with the climate.
I'll have to correct myself, as well, here. The soil in the coastal plain, around Savannah, is relatively poor. Farther west and north, things are different. I should have been more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area