Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,910 times

Advertisements

We recently visited Savannah, and we LOVED it. We have been trying to find a city to live after we finish law school, and it was between Charleston and Savannah. Well about a few hours after we arrived we decided that Savannah is the place for us (as long as we can find jobs). I love the history and beauty.

While we were there we noticed all the people walking dogs around the historic district. I have read many websites and seen about restaurants and hotels that allow dogs, but when I started looking around for pet services, doggie daycare and specialty dog food stores I couldn't find much info. I did research some of the older threads, but they are 2 years old and I just wanted to make sure they are still accurate. And yellow pages didn't have any reviews on a lot of places.

So my questions are:

1. Who is the best vet in Savannah? Way open ended I know, but there are around 55 listed in the yellow pages and I thought I would save some time and cut the list down by using recomendations. I will interview a select number before I choose one, but the specifics I look for are: an after hours emergency number for a vet at the office (not an emergency animal clinic number), knowledgeable about giant breed dogs and their care, at least 2 vets in the office, friendly staff, nice facilities and equipment. I know it's a lot to ask, but they are my babies.

2. Are there any pet stores that carry specialty dog food like Before Grain, Eagle Pack Hollistic, Solid Gold,...etc.? Or if you use these do you have to order it by a website?

3. Are there any nice doggie day care places? I know that there is a dog park, but during work hours we would like to be able to drop them off to have playtime a few days a week.

4. I know the beaches do not allow dogs (unless that has changed since older posts), but is there anywhere to take the dogs for a swim? We have newfoundlands and they cannot live without water!

If you're wondering about location, we are looking at Wilmington Island, or any of the islands out that way, Ardsley Park, and are open to any nice areas in or around Savannah, although when we told people we were going to look at Pooler they told us we probably wouldn't like that?? I don't know what that was about, but any advice would be wonderful.

So for those of you that are still awake after this long post, any dog info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:00 AM

737 posts, read 2,458,958 times
I'll be back with the rest of my answers later, but for now...

#1: I use Islands Vet Clinic on JMB. And have found them to be quite knowledgeable. But there are plenty more to choose from.

#4: No. You have to go to Hilton Head to get them near the surf.

Last edited by Just Plain Al; 04-17-2009 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 06:06 AM

214 posts, read 899,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUNewfies View Post
We recently visited Savannah, and we LOVED it. We have been trying to find a city to live after we finish law school, and it was between Charleston and Savannah. Well about a few hours after we arrived we decided that Savannah is the place for us (as long as we can find jobs). I love the history and beauty.

While we were there we noticed all the people walking dogs around the historic district. I have read many websites and seen about restaurants and hotels that allow dogs, but when I started looking around for pet services, doggie daycare and specialty dog food stores I couldn't find much info. I did research some of the older threads, but they are 2 years old and I just wanted to make sure they are still accurate. And yellow pages didn't have any reviews on a lot of places.

So my questions are:

1. Who is the best vet in Savannah? Way open ended I know, but there are around 55 listed in the yellow pages and I thought I would save some time and cut the list down by using recomendations. I will interview a select number before I choose one, but the specifics I look for are: an after hours emergency number for a vet at the office (not an emergency animal clinic number), knowledgeable about giant breed dogs and their care, at least 2 vets in the office, friendly staff, nice facilities and equipment. I know it's a lot to ask, but they are my babies.

2. Are there any pet stores that carry specialty dog food like Before Grain, Eagle Pack Hollistic, Solid Gold,...etc.? Or if you use these do you have to order it by a website?

3. Are there any nice doggie day care places? I know that there is a dog park, but during work hours we would like to be able to drop them off to have playtime a few days a week.

4. I know the beaches do not allow dogs (unless that has changed since older posts), but is there anywhere to take the dogs for a swim? We have newfoundlands and they cannot live without water!

If you're wondering about location, we are looking at Wilmington Island, or any of the islands out that way, Ardsley Park, and are open to any nice areas in or around Savannah, although when we told people we were going to look at Pooler they told us we probably wouldn't like that?? I don't know what that was about, but any advice would be wonderful.

So for those of you that are still awake after this long post, any dog info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the store that opened a couple of years ago called Tail Spin?

It is a couple of blocks from Forsyth Park on Whitaker. I have heard they have a large variety of dogfood and are very knowledgable.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 AM

182 posts, read 711,149 times
I use Dr. Steve Marlay at 800 Ash street (right off liberty street). 912-232-1741. The vet lives on the premises and it is a family run business. He has a german shephard, and the daughter has some large pitts.

Victory Feed & Seed carries "alternative" dog food. The woman who runs it is very knowledgeable and believes her products are healthier than the grocery brands. I bought some kind of prairie brand that my dogs are loving. She also had Inova...and a bunch of other brands I had never heard about. The store is on the corner of Victory drive & Bull street.

Doggie day care...no idea

Swimming- not sure. There is a tidal creek on a property that I go to, but its a private farm. I found it by asking someone at a dog park about swimming for my dogs and they brought me to the farm. Everyone at the dog parks are super enthusiastic about their dogs and dispensing knowledge.

I have not heard of any beach that will allow dogs on it.

Last edited by gamecock43; 04-17-2009 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Feed & Seed is on BULL & Victory...not montgomery

Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
I use Dr. Steve Marlay at 800 Ash street (right off liberty street). 912-232-1741. The vet lives on the premises and it is a family run business. He has a german shephard, and the daughter has some large pitts.

Victory Feed & Seed carries "alternative" dog food. The woman who runs it is very knowledgeable and believes her products are healthier than the grocery brands. I bought some kind of prairie brand that my dogs are loving. She also had Inova...and a bunch of other brands I had never heard about. The store is on the corner of Victory drive & Montgomery street.

Doggie day care...no idea

Swimming- not sure. There is a tidal creek on a property that I go to, but its a private farm. I found it by asking someone at a dog park about swimming for my dogs and they brought me to the farm. Everyone at the dog parks are super enthusiastic about their dogs and dispensing knowledge.

I have not heard of any beach that will allow dogs on it.
Marlay is quite good.
My outfit uses him sometimes.

Islands Pet Centre on JMB carries Chicken soup brand, Wellness, and a few others.

Doggie Day Care...I'm still working on this one.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 AM

56 posts, read 224,460 times
Tail Spin moved to Habersham. There is also Canine Palace downtown. Not sure what brands they carry.

There is a new doggie daycare place that opened. I forget the name but there is an ad for it in either the current Savannah Magazine or The South Mag.

Still looking to find a small dog playgroup here in SAV if anyone knows of one.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 AM

"Still looking to find a small dog playgroup here in SAV if anyone knows of one."

Tybee has a dog park.
I believe it is separated into large and small dog areas.

Doggie Day Care...?
OBCC Pet-Sitting
Moderator removed: Please don't publish phone numbers on here. Use Direct Message for info exchange instead, please !

Last edited by MB2; 04-20-2009 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 AM

56 posts, read 224,460 times
I've been to the Tybee Dog Park. There never seems to be anyone there since they moved it off that main st.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 14,932 times
Islands vet is awesome! As are most of the vets in town. No doggie day care's yet, but one is coming to the Savannah area! In the mean time, try At Home Pet Sitters, At Home Pet Sitters, Pet Sitting, Savannah, for exercise for your dogs during the day. They are awesome, insured, bonded, pet first aid/cpr certified and accredited by Pet Sitters International.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,064 times
The old Bremer Veterinary Clinic on Wilmington Island is under new management and is now the Wilmington Island Animal Hospital. The new owner, Dr. Reidlinger, is great. She is very knowledgeable and caring. My 2 dogs are usually wary of strangers but they absolutely adored her during their visit. Dr. Reidlinger has updated the equipment used in diagnosis and treatment to utilize new technological advances and the building and grounds are being renovated. [/FONT]

The hospital does have a doggie day care with separate areas for little and big dogs. Another area is for boarders

Last edited by Linda6; 05-21-2010 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: removed the HTML coding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area