Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 13,186 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Savannah to attend Scad in the fall. I need to live by my self so I will not be in the dorms. I am moving from new york city and only have time to visit Savannah once to find a place. I will not have the time to explore all of Savannah so please be specific on where I should look for housing. The names of streets would help. also specific areas. the historic district is quite large and I am sure its not all worth living in.

I would like to know what areas to avoid, where the projects are.
I like a good night life and neighborhoods that have personality.
I do not want to be in the middle of nowhere. And a reasonable distance from Scad. (Living on a cool street is more important)
I probably will have to buy a car
I am looking to spend up to 700$ Hoping for less.

These are the neighborhoods I keep hearing about.

Historic district North
Historic district south
Victorian district east
Victorian district west
Dixon Parks
Baldwin Park
Southside
Eastside

Any details about these areas would be helpful.
Any other areas I don't know about would be helpful.

Thank you for your help. Moving out of state can be very stress full if you don't know the areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:35 PM

737 posts, read 2,460,076 times

Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 AM

6 posts, read 21,156 times
The Islands: Whitmarsh, Wilmington, Tybee or Georgetown. Downtown is beautiful but very expensive, Midtown is loud from Hunter Army Air Field. Planes going ALL THE TIME. Georgetown is quieter, closer to I95 but away from the city.

If you have kids try further west for better schools: Effingham, Port Wentworth unless you put them in Private Schools.

We have lived several places but Wilmington Island is the best. Close to the beach and minutes from downtown.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 AM

Talking Welcome to my world...

"We have lived several places but Wilmington Island is the best. Close to the beach and minutes from downtown."

Old 05-29-2009, 08:49 AM

165 posts, read 507,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahlime View Post
If you have kids try further west for better schools: Effingham, Port Wentworth unless you put them in Private Schools.
I will have to disagree with the suggestion of Port Wentworth for schools. There are plans for the future that will hopefully call for rezoning and help Port Wentworth out (at least the north side, which is the area being developed), but there are no current guarantees. If the kids are already school aged, I would consider somewhere else for now.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:10 AM

I keep forgetting...
My BFF has a daughter that goes to public school on Whitemarsh.
And she is a stickler about education.
And yet she's totally happy with the quality of education her daughter is getting.

Just my 26cents worth, is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area