Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 AM

177 posts, read 530,639 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm wondering where in Savannah would be a good place for my girlfriend and me to live. We're 24 and 23, and would be moving from Philadelphia, where we currently live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Queen Village, an extremely nice and historic neighborhood. Basically, our apartment is a steal.

Anyway, I may be getting laid off from my current job soon, after only 3 months of working here. I'm kind of annoyed they even bothered to hire me in the first place. There are 3 current opportunities with the same organization I currently work for in South Carolina, with one of them being in Bluffton. If I got that job, we'd be moving and I'd commute from Savannah. Our income at first would only be around 30k, but hopefully my girlfriend could find something quickly. What areas should we be checking out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 09:49 AM

47 posts, read 158,491 times
You are in ai similar situation as my fiancee and I were in. We moved from NYC and found a cute apartment in Baldwin Park in Midtown. Nice neighborhood, cute little park, and only 3 miles to the historic district, and one right turn away from 80E in route to Tybee Island. We love it.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy the Pooh View Post
You are in ai similar situation as my fiancee and I were in. We moved from NYC and found a cute apartment in Baldwin Park in Midtown. Nice neighborhood, cute little park, and only 3 miles to the historic district, and one right turn away from 80E in route to Tybee Island. We love it.
That's a whole heck of a lot better than living on the Southside. Good choice.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Good to hear that. I was looking around at some rentals in that area, but wasn't sure if it was safe or not. The prices are so much cheaper than here it's hard for me to gauge what areas are safe/nice.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 PM

47 posts, read 158,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
That's a whole heck of a lot better than living on the Southside. Good choice.
Ha Ha. I asked so many questions, I don't even remember which apartments I was asking about. I still don't know where the southside is haha.

Yeah my fiancee just lucked out. Her and her mother was driving around and just happened to see a for rent sign in the yard. There are quite a few apartments for rent in this area. I would be more than happy OP (sorry forgot your screen name) to take some pictures for you and send them to you on here. This neighborhood is awesome.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:54 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Look around Bluffton too. There are some nice places there. think about staying there at first, close to your job, until you get to know the Savannah area better. The trip from Bluffton to Savannah can be a pain sometimes.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,833 times
you haven't said what price range you would be expecting? I know a few people that commute from savannah to bluffton

Old 08-20-2010, 05:08 AM

3 posts, read 12,168 times
Why not Bluffton? It is a very nice city and growing rapidly. Visit Savannah when you want...a easy drive. If you have to live in Savannah, I would suggest you look in the historic area of the city. You can walk to almost everything to do and most young people really like the atmosphere.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:26 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Ha Ha. I asked so many questions, I don't even remember which apartments I was asking about. I still don't know where the southside is haha.
You're already starting to sound like a Savannahian.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
you haven't said what price range you would be expecting? I know a few people that commute from savannah to bluffton
Sorry, price range would definitely help! Right now we pay about $1000 a month after rent and utilities. Plus my current commute is about 45 minutes in the morning and an hour coming home.

We like the idea of Savannah as it's still a city. Keep in mind that we'd be moving from Center City Philadelphia, which is extremely busy. I know Savannah is extremely different, but we like having restaurants, culture, etc. around us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area