Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 11:26 AM

40 posts, read 103,577 times

Advertisements

Let me jsut say that I am the first person to realize that EVERY city has good parts and bad parts. I live in Queens, NYC. It is a beautiful part of NYC, however you can go jsut a few stops on the train and be in a fairly nasty area. So, I realize that crime rates get skewed by bad neighborhoods. Just to recap...I am engaged to be married. I work on a ship and am not concerned about finding employment in the area. I don't knwo much about the area. I have visited there once, but was limited to the old town and riverwalk (very limited). I am looking at renting at first and then purchasing a home in the 200K range. I will be gone for up to 8 weeks at a time. Whitemarsh/Tybee/Wilmington islands all seem pretty nice and laid back.

Ultimately, I would like to know what the safe areas are in the Savannah area. Can I feel safe leaving my wife alone for an extended periods of time? Can I find a 200K home in these areas?

Any info or advice would be helpful so I can realy this to my Fiance.

Thanks Everybody who responds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM

737 posts, read 2,460,634 times
I got your email.
I'll be replying when I get a few minutes to sit and write without distraction.
I can fill you in about the islands, but I don't spend much time downtown/mid-town/southside.
That's up to Ellie, and the rest.

Ps: You really should search some of the older threads.
This has been covered time and time again.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:57 PM

40 posts, read 103,577 times
Default Which thread seem best for what I am looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post

Ps: You really should search some of the older threads.
This has been covered time and time again.
Thanks for thinking of me!

I have looked through so many of the threads that have been posted. The problem with it is that there are almost TOO many of them. ANother problem is that between some of the REAALLLY old ones and now, we have had a pretty significant economic downturn. So it seems that when I read them, there are so many people that ask similar questions but seem to be looking for all different things. So, I end up sending out some questions that are focused to what our specific concerns are. Really, I am looking at overall affordability of the area, ability for my fiance/wife to meet new people and, foremost, her safety while I am away at sea.

I do appreciate your time and look forward to reading your email.

Thanks "Al",

Bill

Old 06-05-2009, 06:24 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
As I've posted before, my kids live in Pooler and my DIL feels very safe there, even when jogging or walking the dogs after dark. They live in the Hamilton Grove development, and the houses are mostly under your price range. Many of the residents are military, and 20 somethings.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 PM

182 posts, read 711,582 times
I live just outside of the historic district by MLK. My husband just left for Texas on a 4 month long job contract. We were uncertain with him leaving...and his truck no longer at the house. So far...I never had a problem before he left, I never had a problem after he left. I don't know if its just because of a "you leave me alone/I leave you alone" respect- but the neighborhood does have criminal activities that I see several times a week- but I have never been a target. I also dont push my luck. I stay aware, keep my head up, and have a good home security alarm on when I am not home, and when I go to bed.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:27 AM

737 posts, read 2,460,634 times
"... and have a good home security alarm on when I am not home, and when I go to bed."
And when you are home and not in bed?
I hope you have some sort of protection then?

Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 AM

182 posts, read 711,582 times
I do also have 2 pit bulls. They are my pets, but my neighbors don't know that. I think that helps. But I dont recommend getting a pit bull or a dog for protection only, so I don't want to suggest getting a guard dog for the sake of having a guard dog.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:21 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
The problem with moving to Savannah without knowing the city, is that people seem to think that it's important to live near the historic district. This is NOT so. Savannah has many areas that are very low crime. Not 100% free, no place is that, but a very low rate.

The regular posters here try not to just come out and tell people that where they want to buy is not a nice area, we just hint at it and try to suggest other areas. But no, they want a lovely old victorian house, or they want to be close to the downtown area and they buy foolishly. Then, they join in with the group that talks about the crime situation in Savannah. It's there, but let's hope that you have more sense than to buy in such areas.

Please try to rent before you buy, let her get a feel for the various neighborhoods. Drive through them at night and see what kind of street corner activities you spot. One danger sign, beat up, unkept yards and houses with nice late model cars parked outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area