Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 PM

97 posts, read 199,622 times

Advertisements

How bad is it? what are the good areas, safe and clean.thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:42 AM

98 posts, read 389,608 times
Do a search and you will find many topics on this board discussing your exact question.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 PM

50,407 posts, read 64,141,570 times
If you go to savannahpd.org they have a crime map. You can see who got raped/robbed/killed or burgled, where.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM

15 posts, read 37,358 times
It depends on what you are looking for. Are you an urbanite who knows leaving your purse in the front seat of your car might result in it being stolen? Do you want to leave your bikes on the lawn and don't mind driving 20 minutes to get to everything? If you love suburban living complete with a garage door opener, then move to the county, Wilmington Island, Southbridge, Pooler. If you will take the potential for petty crime as a price to pay for living in a walkable city with sidewalks, then look at Ardsley Park, Parkside, Kensington Park, Habersham Woods, Bacon Park . . . These are all nice areas but they are not gated. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:29 AM

12 posts, read 36,177 times
Savannah is a beautiful city - but like all Metropolitan Areas, she sees her share of crime. I think that KC said it best...are you moving here or just visiting? If you're moving here, I strongly suggest you investigate the outerlying areas of the "Metropolitan Area" - a twenty minute commute can do wonders for your peace of mind. Good luck to you, I hope you enjoy your journey.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM

50,407 posts, read 64,141,570 times
I know I'll have a culture shock living there after living in a safe, sleepy, rural area, but, in any city, it's only common sense to lock your doors, to not leave anything worth stealing in a car, and keep your insurance paid up. I'm thinking I will get into the habit of not carry anything more than I need..like unused credit cards, etc. to avoid extra hassle if and when my purse gets stolen. It's almost sort of fun to think of ways to foil the criminal element.
I might get a gun, but I don't think so.
We're planning to live in 31410 or 31322, two of the areas KC mentioned.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 AM

I have been a negative poster about Savannah's crime for some time now. I heard it was bad before I moved here 3 years ago but it seriously is pretty bad. Yeah yeah yeah all metropolitan areas see crime but being the beautiful city that Savannah is and really not that large, there is WAY too much crime. If you will do a search of crime on this board, you will see that I have lived in different areas in and around the city of Savannah and in three of those areas I have heard gun shots in the middle of the night.
People can continue to be naive about the crime in this city, and it will continue to be a problem. If somebody in power will actually admit that it is a serious problem in this city, maybe something can be resolved. The way it is now, if the crime stays on the west side of the city and the rich white people stay in the historic district or on the islands and send their kids to private schools with more rich white kids, nothing will improve.
Let me ask you a question gentlearts, what is buying a gun going to do for you? Do you seriously think that it is going to provide some sort of protection for you and your family?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,986,596 times
To put it frankly, I'm quite tired of hearing about your negative posts about crime in Savannah. You will have your views of it and I will have mine, but don't call the people that don't have anything negative to say about it naive. If what you are saying is true about hearing gun shots everywhere in the city you've lived, then why not pick up and leave if you don't ever feel safe.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Oh I am...as soon as my lease is up in my apartment, I'm heading back to the midwest. Unfortunately I love the city of Savannah, but I can't afford to live in a gated community or on one of the squares downtown. Also, what you said about me not ever feeling safe is not true. I do feel safe most of the time. It is usually at night that I don't feel safe in this city.

I'm calling people that don't think that crime is a problem in this city naive, not people that don't have anything negative to say about it. One may think that crime in this city is a problem but will remain quiet and not say anything negative about it, which is their prerogative. People that DON'T think that crime in this city is a problem are the ones I am calling naive. I don't mean anything mean by calling somebody naive. One definition of the word naive is to lack information about a certain subject and although I feel a lot of people in this city lack that information because they refuse to seek it, they are still naive.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:56 PM

14 posts, read 38,376 times
I've felt safe during all my visits to Savannah. You can hear the random gunshot anywhere and there is crime everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area