Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:34 AM

240 posts, read 475,251 times

Advertisements

very interesting site: Future Timeline | Technology | Singularity | 2020 | 2050 | 2100 | 2150 | 2200 | 21st century | 22nd century | 23rd century | Humanity | Predictions | Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:53 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,997,298 times
May is an understatement. The future won't look anything like that.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
I read out through 2016 and saw nothing that isn't an easy extrapolation. These aren't the things that will actually make a major change the world we live in. It's the, "Wow, I didn't see that coming!" that are the big change makers. This, for example, if it makes it to the consumer market. Capacitor better than batteries

I did enjoy my initial reaction to 2111-2015 British forces withdraw from Afghanistan. Wow, that's it? Then I read on...

Some of the items (3D printing for one - 2015) that are mentioned are already here, it's just that most people can't see a need for it, and probably still won't in 2015.

Some are inane and apparently added just to bulk up the text, like "Brazil hosts the FIFA World Cup". How does that affect the future of the planet in any major way?

An interesting concept and fun to read, but I am certainly not going to base any life decisions on the information provided.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Saw a piece the other day about past predictions of the future.

The prediction is that we would have a space plane, that looked very much like the space shuttle.
The prediction is that we would have a telescope in space, that looked very much like the Hubble.

Where it really fell short is that the concept of digital photography was missed completely, because the painting depicted astronauts "changing the film" on the telescope.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Saw a piece the other day about past predictions of the future.

The prediction is that we would have a space plane, that looked very much like the space shuttle.
The prediction is that we would have a telescope in space, that looked very much like the Hubble.

Where it really fell short is that the concept of digital photography was missed completely, because the painting depicted astronauts "changing the film" on the telescope.

I can hear it now: "This is Houston. Keep the negatives out of the sun, please. You have 45 seconds before your spin takes you into danger."

Old 03-28-2011, 02:35 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Possible or not, I thought it was an interesting read and gave my coworker and I something to talk about. It's interesting to think that perhaps me or my kids or at the very least my grandkids may have the ability to essentially live forever.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
My 1956 Popular Mechanix magazine promised me that by 1980, cars would levitate on magnetized highways, and by 1990, all fatal diseases would be wiped out, and in 2000 we could all spend our vacation on Mars. No mention was made of narcoterrorism or "Jersey Shore" or the president tweeting a declaration of war.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Possible or not, I thought it was an interesting read and gave my coworker and I something to talk about. It's interesting to think that perhaps me or my kids or at the very least my grandkids may have the ability to essentially live forever.
If we attain the ability to live forever, and decide to use it, we will first need to convince certain countries and religions that population control is necessary.

It will never come to that anyway because it will be reserved for the Rich and Famous...

Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If we attain the ability to live forever, and decide to use it, we will first need to convince certain countries and religions that population control is necessary.

It will never come to that anyway because it will be reserved for the Rich and Famous...
Perhaps, but the timeline essentially is following singularity theory. The implication would be that my physical body may no longer exist, but there is the possibility that my consciousness could be stored on a computer.

If we assume that the brain itself is nothing more than a complex computer, it is theoretically possible to replicate that computer. If brain activity is nothing more than electrical impulses, than those electical impulses could theoretically be transferred to said computer. At that point, my cosciousness will essentially be allowed to live forever.

While it would certainly be something only the rich and famous could attain at first, if we followed Moore's Law, the technology would rapidly expand in power and lower in cost making it more and more accessible.

I'm not saying I believe this is going to happen, just fun to think about.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:39 PM

131 posts, read 300,380 times
Interesting read...thanks.

Accurate? - highly doubt it since many of the proposed technologies in place in the future are based on the the concepts of today instead of concepts yet to be realized. For instance, I think it was the year 3,000 where the author said that faster than light travel is possible via Alcubierre drives. The Alcubierre drive was a patented idea in 2003 or so. Any technology implemented in the year 3000 will not be conceived of in the year 2003. That's like someone from the year 1000AD saying that in the year 2011, we'll shove a rocket up a horse's as* and we'll be able to move over land at an astonishing speed of 120mph+, 3x faster than today's speeds - since the author has no concept of today's cars and airplanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology