Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Advertisements

I worry about this too, but I'll be dead long before this happens: Stephen Hawking: Artificial Intelligence 'Potentially the Worst Thing to Happen to Humanity'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 02:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I was starting to think i was the only one who thought technology will be our undoing. As technology is going in a a few hundred years the human species will become irrelevant and the Artificial intelligence that we created will dominate the world applying its own agenda for being and i'm sure whatever the computers is it wont include us..
Solution better start happening soon as once the Artificial intelligence is "born" it will realize it already controls a world wide network and there will be no stopping it at that point/.
I think severe laws should be enacted prohibiting any effort at attempting to manufacture an artificial intelligence.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
If Stephen Hawking says something, are we all supposed to assume that it must be true?

The linked article is just a series of paragraphs repeating the same warning in different words, but never goes on to explain how or why this dire outcome will be irreversible. Hawking has become a hack contributor to op-ed publications.

It's not like a self-driving car will be equipped with an arm that will reach through your bedroom window and drag you out into the passenger seat at unpredictable times and take you to a destination over which you have no control and then eject you to sit there and wait until another driverless car arrives to take you somewhere else.. Somehow, man will resist the temptation to allow driverless cars to achieve that authority, without the necessity for a Stephen Hawking's unchallenged wisdom to come along and warn us about it..

Last edited by jtur88; 05-04-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
I have been discussing this on Facebook and while I admire Stephen Hawking a lot he is completely wrong here. Its almost like he is over thinking the issue. First he contradicts himself a lot and second AI will not increase in a vacuum as we will merge with the technology as well so AI will never be smarter then we are. In fact from what I have studied everything will happen around 2030 as by 2029 AI will be as intelligent as a un-aided human and by 2030 AI will be more intelligent. However, also, by 2030 computers the size of blood cells will be thousands of times more powerful then Google glass today and we will have millions if not billions of them is us augmenting our intelligence. That will allow us to advance just as fast as the AI so it will not be this lopsided future he predicts.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:16 PM

You guys need to read more Sci-fi to imagine how artificial intelligence can take over . i have no doubt that sometime in the near future (couple of hundred years)technology combined with AI will render humans irrelevant.

Some points to ponder.
https://sites.google.com/site/understandai/danger

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...949415/?no-ist

Old 05-04-2014, 04:08 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You guys need to read more Sci-fi to imagine how artificial intelligence can take over . i have no doubt that sometime in the near future (couple of hundred years)technology combined with AI will render humans irrelevant.
AI will make it necessary for humans to merge with technology and that will happen in 16 years not hundreds. So in a way your are right as AI will be one reason humans will have to change because we will not be able to survive if we do not.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 AM

I believe the next step will be Computer to brain interface where we will have the ability with a small implant to be able to access the net,phone and all related aps and tv merely be thinking about it,no external hardware needed..

Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 AM

We already have that ability, jambo, but implants are problematic medically. Read The Future of the Mind by Michio Kaku.

We're MUCH further along with the technology than most people think. Good book.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
It's pretty obvious Stephen Hawking is just a little behind the times and just saw the Will Smith movie, AI

Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 AM

He's not behind the times - he's still making active contributions to physics, still publishing. You can't do that without knowing a thing or two about computation which is so important in testing hypotheses.

He's right about the dangers of artificial intelligence ...... what use would a computer which is a million times more brainy than a human have for people, if it has robots to carry out its mining and manufacturing?

We're within a few decades of simulating or improving a human brain's thought processes ...... what's to stop it from becoming ever more efficient as it re-designs itself more quickly than it was designed? Or simply to expand itself a million times, and link the subunits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology