Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times

Advertisements

Amazing. Wonder how long until 3D printing is made illegal...

A $50 3D-Printed Prosthesis Compared to a $42,000 Myoelectric Prosthesis - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
It won't be made illegal, the cost of the consumables will become astronomical...

Just like with CD's and DVD's, taxes will be added to the product cost...

Big business and the American government NEVER lose....

Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
This whole field sounds like it will be the way of the future. But why have the stocks been so skittish lately? I have been following companies like DDD, SSYS, XONE and VJET. It might just be a great time to buy? I have one friend that was pushing me to buy DDD - but it dropped about 40% since he told me to invest (I am glad that I held off).

Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I didn't watch the film, but I'm guessing it's an unfair comparison. All the research for creating it was done for the expensive prosthesis. The 3D printed one takes advantage of all that research, but doesn't include the cost of it in it's alleged price.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I didn't watch the film, but I'm guessing it's an unfair comparison. All the research for creating it was done for the expensive prosthesis. The 3D printed one takes advantage of all that research, but doesn't include the cost of it in it's alleged price.
That may or may not be true but that's the case for any device, unless they are using a patented technology the regualr device would be subject to competition from anyone.

These devices need FDA approval? In addtion to not requiring highly skilled labor to manufacture from a very limited amount of manufacturers I'm going to take a guess the reason it is so cheap is that it hasn't gone through the miles of red tape. They are selling a drawing, they are not selling a device. You can bet that these companies that manufacture these things are already lining up the lobbyists to fix this "loophole". The funny part is this "loophole" cannot be stifled by government regulation.

"Do you have a license for that arm? "

One of the reasons things can be very expensive is government regulations put in place that stifles competition. I can show you two identical coal boilers, one cost $7K and the other cost $9K. The only difference is that one has a ASME stamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology