Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

Remember your children's whine: "There's nothing to dooooooooo." Humans have a need to be productive. Otherwise, they stagnate and loose their functionality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:25 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm more inclined to believe that AI will be created and enabled big business to become a mega corp entity that owns and runs everything in our world.
You don't think these entities are already running most of the show?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:28 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
You are truly discounting the effects of a paradigm shift.
Old B&W Tvs used to be assembled by hand, now the Samsungs are being produced automatically by robotic arms.
Similarly, houses used to be made of wood cut using very tedious and expensive techniques - that made house building expensive and slow. Now, you can build sky-scrapers with machines and man-made material much more efficiently.

So what will the next paradigm be that may allows cheap (nearly free) production of houses? How about 3D printed houses? Where do you think that technology will take us?
Giant 3D printer creates 10 full-sized houses in a DAY: Bungalows built from layers of waste materials cost less than £3,000 each.
Houses were built using a mixture of waste material pumped into layers .
Each house is thought to cost less than $5,000 (£3,000) to construct, meaning affordable housing could be built faster.
Four huge printers measuring 105ft long, 33ft wide and 22ft tall were used to make the bungalows
Technique could one day be used to build complex villas and skyscrapers.
3D printer creates 10 houses in a DAY | Mail Online

You have it all wrong again.
Like my example above about the 3D printed houses. Is this technology coming from current house builders that use wood or concrete? No. It is coming from a complete new industry.

New battery technology for cars is not coming from oil companies. It is coming from new technology companies like Tesla. Tesla doesn't care about big oil profits. It cares about it's own. And in the process, it is revolutionizing how we drive!

Google Cars would be a similar example. For all you know, Google is going to compress the auto-driving machine and sell it for $50 in a few years. You think Google cares about GM and Ford?

I think I have adressed this already. People who run companies like Google, Tesla, SpaceX do not have the "same old" corporate shareholder mentality. Ask yourself, why is Elon Musk of SpaceX spending his millions to explore space?

Then, why did Google open and fund a Singularity university? Why is SpaceX exploring space?
Excellent post! You said it much better then I did.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
More points to ponder.
"Our Final Invention" --Will Artificial Intelligence End the Human Epoch?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have read topics like this and have even seen documentaries on it. Again they do not take into account that we will merge with technology and will keep up.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:15 PM

All your posts keep taking me back to Hal in 2001 A.D. Remember Hal? He came to a dire end for his uppitiness. Al's future? Just pull his plug.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
All your posts keep taking me back to Hal in 2001 A.D. Remember Hal? He came to a dire end for his uppitiness. Al's future? Just pull his plug.
LOL people tell me a lot. The thing is that is just a movie and will be noting like real life.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
LOL people tell me a lot. The thing is that is just a movie and will be noting like real life.
It's just a little flub in typing, I know, but it is absolutely true. What Hal tried, Al won't be far behind. May he meet the same end. I don't want to see the day when the bank says "Sorry, we can't access your account. Al is on vacation."

Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
It's just a little flub in typing, I know, but it is absolutely true. What Hal tried, Al won't be far behind. May he meet the same end. I don't want to see the day when the bank says "Sorry, we can't access your account. Al is on vacation."
Siri tells me that now.... I think its actually because my phone can not access the network for some reason but its funny especially the first time when it happened and she said "I'm busy". (According to my friends who were laughing that was my face!)

Old 05-07-2014, 04:05 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have read topics like this and have even seen documentaries on it. Again they do not take into account that we will merge with technology and will keep up.
Perhaps thats the way it will go, at this point we can only speculate..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology