Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I like the Wikipedia article on it, where they said that it gave people hemorrhoids (tumors of the groin in some translations) and was attractive to mice. It was also carried well ahead and away from those on the exodus. Using deductive logic, I'm suspecting that it contained really stinky cheese.

Another trait was that when the carriers walked with it into a river, the river stopped flowing and the ground dried until it was removed, implying that it was selectively water repellant (humans are mostly made of water). I guess that means it could have been scotchguarded cheese.

What I do find at least plausible is that it resides in Axum. The links are not conclusive, but are at least feasible.
If the cheese is scotch-guarded, I'm not sure the mice could smell it, although mice can get to things you'd think should be impossible. Not sure it'd make a very good grilled cheese sandwich either. I heard that when mice nibbled on it, they became 15-foot tall monsters that shot lightning bolts from their eyes.

Whatever is at Axum might eventually be revealed since the roof is severely leaking and needs to be replaced. There's a single person designated as a guardian who is the only one to see it, so the locals pretty much take his word for it. It could just as easily have been acquired from a street market long ago from someone who said, "Psst! Hey buddy, I've got the real Ark you can have for a good bargain."

If it's as large as indicated, he's not going to be able to move it alone. It's said to be covered with gold. A new building is being constructed, and the artifact will have to be moved to the new location. Supposedly, it's been there since 1300 BCE.
Ark of Covenant 'to be revealed' after leaking roof in Ethiopian chapel | Mail Online

Other claims are that the Babylonians made off with it long ago when they sacked Jerusalem. In any case, it doesn't appear anyone was struck dead by it. I suspect none of these are the genuine artifact, but that whoever delivered the object made the claim that it's the one. After centuries of tradition, everyone thinks the one they have is it. I'd suspect the looting of the Babylonians is more plausible and that they probably melted it down for the gold. It's also possible it was moved before the sacking to a hidden location. One only need to think about the caves from which the Dead Sea Scrolls were found by accident. It could also have nee hauled off by the Abyssinians or the Philistines. Everybody and their brother seems to claim to have it in their possession.
Ark of the Covenant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
8 Alleged Resting Places of the Ark of the Covenant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 06:19 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Since this coffin shaped object was made by the Atlantean's and stolen by some religious fanatical group the best answer to the OP would be we need to find out what technological plateau the Atlantean's achieved....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology