Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
In science we call those ages, Milankvich cycles. They are also possible to measure them. Based on Milankovich cycles we should be entering what is most accurately called a period of glacial maxima aka ice age. That is not happening because we have changed the atmospheric concentration of greenhouse gases and the Earths natural albedo.

So no.
Nobody knows what will happen, but more than likely a global cooling is next.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:37 PM

684 posts, read 713,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
You can find actual #'s so you don't have to rely on memory. I remember last winter was the coldest ever, so of course everyone was saying,"so much for global warming". Most people have no idea what it really means. This December was the warmest on record in NH. A full 10 degrees above avg, Christmas eve hit 70, It was awesome. People have reported bulbs coming up and trees budding.
Last winter was not that cold. It was short, had 3 cold days in it. (every winter will have a coupe really cold days).

Old 01-22-2016, 09:24 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,984 times
This site has climate data past 2010: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/climate-monitoring/

Old 01-23-2016, 12:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Nobody knows what will happen, but more than likely a global cooling is next.
Are you saying we do not know how Milankovich cycles work?

Really?

Old 01-26-2016, 01:40 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Then and Now Photos of Earth

Quote:
"Alaska has been warming at nearly two times the rate as the rest of the U.S. over the past 50 years," AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Brett Anderson said, referring to the decline in Alaska's glaciers over the past century.
NASA Images

Quote:
Our Images of Change gallery features images of different locations on planet Earth, showing change over time periods ranging from centuries to days. Some of these effects are related to climate change, some are not. Some document the effects of urbanization, or the ravage of natural hazards such as fires and floods. All show our planet in a state of flux.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Are you saying we do not know how Milankovich cycles work?

Really?
Where did I say that?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
If this trend continues, Alaska will have arable lands and long growing seasons. As it is now, produce has to be brought in from the lower-48 States. But then, some scientists are predicting a mini ice age by 2030

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-27-2016 at 10:25 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 03:51 AM

572 posts, read 280,083 times
Quote:
But then, some scientists are predicting a mini ice age by 2030
This is actually not true.

The drop in sunspot activity is part of an 11 year cycle and will have minimal influence on the Earth's temperature. If sunspot activity drops to the same extreme it did during the 'Little Ice Age', the only effect would be a half degree temperature drop, and only in Northern Europe.

Sunspot cycles won't cause a “Mini Ice Age” by 2030.

Quote:
The root of the problem here may be a poorly worded quote in the press release implying an imminent 60 percent decline in solar activity. Yes, numbers of sunspots can vary by that much or even more on an 11-year cycle, but the sun’s output—the total amount of energy we get—is extremely stable and only changes by about 0.1 percent, even in extreme sunspot cycles like the one Zharkova is predicting.
The consensus is that warming will continue, and there is nothing we can do to prevent that from happening, barring some sort of future geoengineering technology that can reduce the CO2 imbalance in the atmosphere, and there is a good chance that many of the effects of climate change will be irreversible.

Switching to wind or solar at this point will really only serve to lessen the warming in the future... but of course, there are a lot of unknowns involved and it's not just the CO2 that's a problem, it's all of the feedback loops triggered by the manmade warming.

Some regional effects could be positive (such as longer growing seasons in Northern climates) but studies show that for most of the ecosystems on the planet, the results will be negative.

Of course, it is ultimately impossible to say what will happen because it's the future, and innovations in AI and superintelligent computers could possibly do wonders for bringing the climate of the planet under control.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
This is actually not true.

The drop in sunspot activity is part of an 11 year cycle and will have minimal influence on the Earth's temperature. If sunspot activity drops to the same extreme it did during the 'Little Ice Age', the only effect would be a half degree temperature drop, and only in Northern Europe.

Sunspot cycles won't cause a “Mini Ice Age” by 2030.

The consensus is that warming will continue, and there is nothing we can do to prevent that from happening, barring some sort of future geoengineering technology that can reduce the CO2 imbalance in the atmosphere, and there is a good chance that many of the effects of climate change will be irreversible.

Switching to wind or solar at this point will really only serve to lessen the warming in the future... but of course, there are a lot of unknowns involved and it's not just the CO2 that's a problem, it's all of the feedback loops triggered by the manmade warming.

Some regional effects could be positive (such as longer growing seasons in Northern climates) but studies show that for most of the ecosystems on the planet, the results will be negative.

Of course, it is ultimately impossible to say what will happen because it's the future, and innovations in AI and superintelligent computers could possibly do wonders for bringing the climate of the planet under control.
The problem with the supercomputers you are referring to is that the data will probably be entered by the same scientists involved in the "climate change" debacle in the UK a few years back.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...eneration.html
'
The way I see it: enjoy this beautiful global warming period, and lets hope that it will last for a few more generations to come, not just my generation since I want my grandchildren to stay nice and warm, along your grandchildren, of course

Old 02-23-2016, 04:15 AM

572 posts, read 280,083 times
Quote:
The problem with the supercomputers you are referring to is that the data will probably be entered by the same scientists involved in the "climate change" debacle in the UK a few years back.
Climate change: this is the worst scientific scandal of our generation - Telegraph
'
The way I see it: enjoy this beautiful global warming period, and lets hope that it will last for a few more generations to come, not just my generation since I want my grandchildren to stay nice and warm, along your grandchildren, of course
That article is from 2009. And I have to say, out of all the unqualified political mouthpieces you could have cited, I honestly think Christopher Booker could very well be the worst.

Not only does he deny that AGW is a problem and propagate false hoaxes like 'Climategate', he also denies the link between secondhand smoke and lung cancer, talks about how asbestos is perfectly safe and thinks intelligent design is valid science. A lot of other RWNJ people would agree with some of those, but not usually all. But it doesn't really matter, because all his audience cares about is how harshly he's condemning anyone who disagrees.

He is pretty much the antithesis of credible journalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.