Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM

307 posts, read 363,181 times

Advertisements

NeuraLink is pretty much a company formed by Elon Musk. Their plan is to use their main product "NeuraLace" to enhance humans brain capacities by injecting the brain with a mesh-like computer.

Is this nuts or what ?!?! So pretty soon you have to plugin your brain to install updates?

My biggest beef is...well, since the hardware part of it engulfs your brain - what happens when the hardware becomes obsolete.

Plus another issue is "class". So pretty much richer people who can afford more expensive NeuraLaces then become smarter as they can buy more powerful brain capacity? This fact tilts the playing field and removes the motivation for people to make the effort to learn.

Only thing I can say is "nuts!!!!" The mention of the tech is scary enough without thinking of its consequences.

Here's a quick YT video explaining the company and tech (Neural Lace) >>>> NeuraLink/Neural Lace

Ok, what do you think?

Last edited by HighSpeed; 03-16-2018 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 06:43 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
It's been done in science fiction numerous times, and since real life inventions often are shaped by sf ideas (which are often based on theoretical science), to me it's not a matter of if, but when.
I hope to hear more about this soon, the devil is in the details and it could be a great tool that will improve our lives, or a great tool of oppression. It will probably be at least a bit of both..
Also, I don't think no one thinks about the consequences, in fact I'm sure many of those responsible are well aware of the potential consequences, both positive and negative. I mean, name one significant invention that didn't have "dire consequences" for some people.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:46 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
The foundations are being laid in this area.

Read down to encouraging creativity with electric probes:

https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/savant-syndrome/

Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Just think...politically incorrect thought can be zapped from your brain with one mandatory update! It'll be great!

Old 03-19-2018, 02:17 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
Computer security, hacking, anti-virus and identity theft would become a lot more personal.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Just think...politically incorrect thought can be zapped from your brain with one mandatory update! It'll be great!
Racist remarks, cussing, going into a school to shoot kids, etc.

And whatever the government wants you to think. MAGA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4rBDUJTnNU

Old 03-20-2018, 02:06 PM

307 posts, read 363,181 times
It's actually interesting that Elon Musk, the primary public face behind this concept, is introducing it as a way to fight Artificial Intelligence (AI), as he strongly believes that once started, the spread of AI would turn out more destructive than nuclear weapons and end mankind. Other respected scientists such as the late Steven Hawkins also share the same fear with Musk.

The NeuraLink then, is set to create a merger with the human being and machine making us smarter than AI. I could imagine science-buffs talking about this at the bar. The conversation would be loud and lengthy.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
This is not a new idea though, there was debates on using technology similar to this on the battlefield, in an attempt to frighten enemy soldiers. The idea was to project visions or even voices of Mohammad directly into the minds of jihadist soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Its likely they already have technology this like, but it will never be accessible to the general public. There are regulations in place to prevent technology like this, from reaching the public, point is, they have a reason for doing that!

Old 07-17-2019, 04:09 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
There was an presentation about the technology the other day. They're planning on human tests next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA77zsJ31nA

When I was a kid, this is the kind of thing that sprang to mind when I heard "the year 2020"

Old 07-17-2019, 06:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
It's actually interesting that Elon Musk, the primary public face behind this concept, is introducing it as a way to fight Artificial Intelligence (AI), as he strongly believes that once started, the spread of AI would turn out more destructive than nuclear weapons and end mankind. Other respected scientists such as the late Steven Hawkins also share the same fear with Musk.

The NeuraLink then, is set to create a merger with the human being and machine making us smarter than AI. I could imagine science-buffs talking about this at the bar. The conversation would be loud and lengthy.
Downside: The AI is in your brain. You know what that means? Taking over humans is going to be so easy. We'll never see it coming because, "We have met the enemy and it is us."

This is a twist on Oliver Hazard Perry's words after a naval battle: “We have met the enemy, and they are ours.” The updated version was first used in the comic strip “Pogo,” by Walt Kelly, in the 1960s and referred to the turmoil caused by the Vietnam War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology