Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 05:21 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times

Advertisements

Car/truck wheel diameter is in inches. (Except for FORD Mustangs in the 1980's?) Those were a freak.

But, the width is in mm....go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 05:53 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
There are only three countries in the world that do not use SI, (in common usage). The economic powerhouses of The United States, Liberia, and Myanmar, (Burma). In the past, we had the economic power to where we did not have to convert. In the future, maybe not.

I've used the SI system long enough in work that I understand it fairly well and can almost go effortlessly from one to the other. Except for temperature. Still struggling with that.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-24-2021, 06:14 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
There are only three countries in the world that do not use SI, (in common usage). The economic powerhouses of The United States, Liberia, and Myanmar, (Burma). In the past, we had the economic power to where we did not have to convert. In the future, maybe not.

I've used the SI system long enough in work that I understand it fairly well and can almost go effortlessly from one to the other. Except for temperature. Still struggling with that.
The big three is 32 F is 0c and 212 F is 100c. -40 is -40 it doesn’t matter which scale you use.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:05 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
The world is a weird place.
Tires - inches and metric on a single item
TVs - inches diagonally
Nuclear weapons - kilo and mega tons. Even for ‘Murica.
The US military is mostly metric. Except, submariners measure distance to target in yards.
Shipping containers are measured in TEUs. Twenty foot equivalent units.
Ships’ speeds are measured in knots.
Look up zerk fitting.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:44 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Pipe fittings are NPT nominal inches all over the world - note that a 1" nominal pipe has no dimension that's 1.000"...

Socket wrenches are 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive all over the world.

Wire gauges are used all over the world.

There are many other examples. The idea that all the rest of the world inhabits some kind of SI pureness and it's only the benighted Americans that use this weird system of rods and furlongs, simply isn't true.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:06 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Pipe fittings are NPT nominal inches all over the world - note that a 1" nominal pipe has no dimension that's 1.000"...

Socket wrenches are 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive all over the world.

Wire gauges are used all over the world.

There are many other examples. The idea that all the rest of the world inhabits some kind of SI pureness and it's only the benighted Americans that use this weird system of rods and furlongs, simply isn't true.
Interesting. I was just reading that Canadian construction supplies are the same sizes as US supplies. Going to the European metric sizes would be a major change. Older homes & home plans would all become obsolete.

I spent my working career in environmental testing laboratories, where everything is metric. However, at home, nearly everything is in US measurements. I have both US & metric tools, of course.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
The much-hyped difficulty of going back and forth is also much over-hyped.

The only difficulty I ever experience is in designing products, you have to set out at the beginning whether you're going to design in "hard metric" - all dimensions and stock are even metric values - or "soft metric" - dimensions and stock sizes are English but the dimensions are presented in mm and threaded fasteners are metric.

At this point in time every competent machinist, repair person, and engineer has tools in both systems and knows how to move back and forth.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:38 AM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Curious, have any USA state ever put height and weight on Drivers License in Metric?

Also, the height weight of athletes in sports? Has any sport used solely metric for them?
There is so much inflation of height in certain sports I wonder if using metric would make it any better or worse.

Interestingly one would think from psychological aspect that females would like metric since the inverse relationship of value of CM / KG to inch and pound would "sound" better. I.E. make one sound taller (more Cm per inches) and sound less heftier (less kg per pounds)

F 5'4 140
F 163cm 64kg

Think of all the overweight people who could now say they only weight 150 (Kg)

The "6" foot height would now sound "taller" 184 cm

It would ruin some songs like 101 pounds of fun....that's my little honey bun

Imagine saying kilos of fun? Makes me think of drug busts...

Old 01-25-2021, 08:41 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
I like buying a pound of apples. There is an intuitive feel for the amount. Buying a kilo of apples - that's just wrong. I wind up buying waaaaaay tooooo much. About 2.2 times as much as I need. Who wants to buy a half kilo?

Old 01-25-2021, 08:48 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
A handy ditty for the Americans who travel and need to know the weather in C, not F:

Zero is freezing. 10 is not. 20 is warm. and 30 is hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology