Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 07:34 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times

Advertisements

Miniature Patriot Battery. Then sue the drone operator for damaging your model rocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 06:33 AM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Whatever angle you want your lawyers to work while you're cooling your heels in the pokey.
So you have a high privacy fence and like skinny dipping in your pool. Someone with a drone fly above you and that is legal. Yet anything you do to prevent the drone from being there lands you in the pokey?

Old 06-11-2023, 12:02 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Drones can be jammed electronically. Not cheap though. Might help to know type or brand of drone you’re trying to jam. The signals from the controller get scrambled and drone either crashes or returns to controller.

https://www.perfectjammer.com/uav-sc...ji-drones.html

There are shotgun shells that shoot nets which if close, might work. Highly doubt a pervy drone operator would pay for a lawsuit. The fees would soon outprice just buying a new one.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:21 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,202 times
^Exactly. The police in 90% of the US would not get involved in a civil dispute over someone's toy (drone) damaged by someone else's toy (shotgun). So Mister Drone owner would be looking at a civil lawsuit. See you in court :-)

Old 06-11-2023, 03:58 PM

532 posts, read 446,781 times
I own several "mid level" consumer drones. They do take surprisingly good pictures and videos and I use them a lot for that. I'm retired and it is a fun hobby. As a "recreational operator" my drones are registered with the FAA and so am I.

I did think of a plausible scenario for flying over someones private property. If I lose RC connectivity my drone will stop and hover for 10 seconds and try to re establish connection. If unsuccesful it has a RTH (return to home) function and it will rise to a programmed height and take the shortest path back to me which may be over someones house.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:46 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Whatever angle you want your lawyers to work while you're cooling your heels in the pokey.
You took me seriously!

I am neither rich nor famous and frankly, my house will not have 6+ feet of solid fence around it. Since anyone will be able to walk by and see anything outside, I'd not care much about a drone flying around above!
That said, if there was a drone operator with ill intentions targeting my property or family for some odd reason, It'd not be just the drone that'd be missing.

I know quite a few registered drone operators like royalabran who are very proper with their use much like a gun owner and I doubt they would ever cause any issues intentionally.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:11 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
If you can't shoot or 'deploy' on your own land than you'd likely turn to some variant of the following that is eventually mass marketed.
https://listverse.com/2022/08/31/10-...ak-technology/

Begs the question of what the drone operator would say - and what drone camera images (if stored remotely) before it 'disappeared' would reveal. Imagine "The case of the missing drone".

A civil case where drone operator goes on Judge Judy claiming some guy five blocks away stole his drone or destroyed his drone because his property was last seen. Wonder how the case would proceed if there was 'no evidence' found of the drone?

Sort of like those professional hits when the body is never found. If a drone is never found how would the drone operator / owner prove the case? Would the judge demand to see ALL drone footage the operator has 'produced' to affirm usage was legal? Would it even matter?

Do drones have built in GPS to enable user to find them if 'downed'? I'm imagining the violated property owner claiming no knowledge and using the "alien" defense (Ie. some other alien UFO object took it - thought it was a lilliputian relative). You could have so much fun with this if prosecuted.

Plaintiff (Drone owner / operator) : "Judge, the drone's last known location was the defendant's address, 808 River Road, and he claims it doesn't exist."

Defendant : "I never saw the drone but I saw a silver cigar shaped object for a brief moment and then it took off at incredible speed. I know nothing about any drone your honor".

I have this image of the the old MAD spy vs spy, but instead it has become Drone vs Drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E7u6i-TSkI

Old 06-12-2023, 12:19 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
If you can't shoot or 'deploy' on your own land than you'd likely turn to some variant of the following that is eventually mass marketed.

Begs the question of what the drone operator would say - and what drone camera images (if stored remotely) before it 'disappeared' would reveal. Imagine "The case of the missing drone".

A civil case where drone operator goes on Judge Judy claiming some guy five blocks away stole his drone or destroyed his drone because his property was last seen. Wonder how the case would proceed if there was 'no evidence' found of the drone?

Sort of like those professional hits when the body is never found. If a drone is never found how would the drone operator / owner prove the case? Would the judge demand to see ALL drone footage the operator has 'produced' to affirm usage was legal? Would it even matter?

Do drones have built in GPS to enable user to find them if 'downed'? I'm imagining the violated property owner claiming no knowledge and using the "alien" defense (Ie. some other alien UFO object took it - thought it was a lilliputian relative). You could have so much fun with this if prosecuted.

Plaintiff (Drone owner / operator) : "Judge, the drone's last known location was the defendant's address, 808 River Road, and he claims it doesn't exist."

Defendant : "I never saw the drone but I saw a silver cigar shaped object for a brief moment and then it took off at incredible speed. I know nothing about any drone your honor".
Honestly, if I owned a business or property that was heavily targeted, instead of such complicated and costly "mechanical" solution, I would try a more organic approach like purchasing an appropriately trained attack bird to take those drones down. The drone operator would not be able to prove anything as it is "wild life".

Old 06-13-2023, 03:06 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So you have a high privacy fence and like skinny dipping in your pool. Someone with a drone fly above you and that is legal. Yet anything you do to prevent the drone from being there lands you in the pokey?
Actually, there was a case in Vermont where state police used drone footage in a case and it and any discovery from it was disallowed because the owner had a high privacy fence and proper signage. IIRC, the ruling was that in such a situation, the individual had a reasonable expectation of right to privacy.

What satellites and high flying aircraft can do these days is more than enough to make drones a minor side issue in most situations. As a kid, I had an Estes rocket that took aerial photos, and kite photography was also possible.

I suppose that one could allow a child to run around property nude, like Calvin in the "Calvin and Hobbs" strip used to like to do. Any neighbor with drone footage could, I guess, then be brought to court as a sex offender. That is a bit extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology