Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 12:35 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,404 times

Advertisements

I love how waterproof the iphone is. Can't imagine it would be anywhere near as waterproof with a tool-free swappable battery. I don't mind paying ~$50 every 2-3 years to have the battery professionally changed on my $1,200 iphone instead of having a tool-free battery that I can change myself for likely similar cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 02:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I love how waterproof the iphone is. Can't imagine it would be anywhere near as waterproof with a tool-free swappable battery. I don't mind paying ~$50 every 2-3 years to have the battery professionally changed on my $1,200 iphone instead of having a tool-free battery that I can change myself for likely similar cost.
I take my dive computers to 130' on a regular basis, which is nearly 10x deeper than the iphone is rated, and have over 1500 dives without any leaks. The user-replaceable battery compartments are typically opened with a coin. It's a threaded cap that screws down onto an o-ring. Not rocket science. Here's a short video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYM1MP4WcVw

One difference though is that the battery in a dive computer can be a lot smaller - typically a button lithium like CR2450 or a AA - since you probably only run it 6 hours on even the busiest dive day.

For me, it's not the cost of having Apple replace the battery - it's the time and inconvenience.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:29 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
My Samsung Galaxy S5 was waterproof and had a removable battery. Apple is just incapable of building a quality product.

The additional battery I had cost me about $30.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:37 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
I'm still waiting for someone to share how they would use a replaceable or swappable battery.

I can't specifically recall my last phone with a removable battery (blackberry storm?), but I've never had the need to carry multiple batteries (nor replace a phone battery before the device was obsolete). I used to travel with a phone case with extra battery built in, but batteries are so good now that I dont find it necessary. I carry two iphones (work and personal). My work phone is an iphone 12 pro. I'm on it constantly (hours and hours per day - its my primary contact number). 85% battery health.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:39 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Obviously, this law only affects the EU, but OEMs wouldn’t likely design phones specifically for the EU.
Why not?

Cars are made to the standards of foreign countries, different from the US standards.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:17 AM

297 posts, read 245,983 times
Default the other reason of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
European Parliament passed a change to a law that will force replaceable batteries on all gadgets, including smartphones.
By law, phones in the EU by 2027 will need to have batteries you can replace with no tools, which means no adhesives.
This could fundamentally change how smartphones are designed.

Obviously, this law only affects the EU, but OEMs wouldn’t likely design phones specifically for the EU. Just like with an EU law forcing Apple to bring USB-C to iPhones (which will likely happen this year), this EU-specific law will have ripples across the world.

I think it's s great news. Phones and other gadgets cost way too much but any unauthorized repairs are prohibited by their makers.

BTW: there is already a "Right to repair" class-action against Apple...

https://www.androidauthority.com/rep...-2023-3335711/

is if you can remove your battery the gov't and leos cannot monitor you and track you when the battery is out. As far as I know that is. But now someone will say they still can. Answer:faraday bag.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:23 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
It's always good if the customer has the option of replacing a battery. As it is, smartphones aren't designed to last years and years, anyway. When batteries start going bad, customers get another phone. Very wasteful. Now they'll have the option of getting a new battery and keeping the phone. Making a battery non-replaceable is a sales gimmick, to pump up sales of the devices. The fact that the companies do it that way to begin with tells us that it's beneficial to the manufacturer, not the customer.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:41 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My Samsung Galaxy S5 was waterproof and had a removable battery. Apple is just incapable of building a quality product.

The additional battery I had cost me about $30.
Nowadays even computers are being designed so that components are soldered to the motherboard, and some laptops one has to take to a technician to replace the battery. But in the case of the iPhone, Apple has to pay for the cost of replacing the battery as long as the damage was not intensional.

Phone and laptop batteries can last quite a lot of years these days. I still have a very old iPod (generation II, I believe) and the battery is still working fine. But I still have to charge it once per week if I the iPod is not being used (self discharging in this case). Just look at most tablets (iPad and everything else) and try to figure how to replace the battery. Well, you can do it, but the simplest way is to let the right person do it for you while you can continue working an earning a paycheck

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-21-2023 at 09:15 PM..

Old 06-23-2023, 02:32 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,671,743 times
USB-C? Isn't that going to require taking the phone apart and installing a USB-C port? Not in my skill set. As for the battery, my year-old iPhone runs out of power and requires recharging for at least several hours every night. I'd welcome a replaceable battery (former Blackberry user speaking).

Old 06-23-2023, 05:14 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
USB-C? Isn't that going to require taking the phone apart and installing a USB-C port? Not in my skill set. As for the battery, my year-old iPhone runs out of power and requires recharging for at least several hours every night. I'd welcome a replaceable battery (former Blackberry user speaking).
It's about replacing battery not USB-C port.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/21/2...ries-phones-eu

Last edited by elnina; 06-23-2023 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology