Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 09:03 AM

844 posts, read 420,248 times

Advertisements

I am a gardener so I pay attention on sun intensity. I've always known that sun is hottest in the afternoon but just the other day I began to think why that is. I have my theory but want to hear others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 09:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
In my experience, the sun is not hotter in the afternoon, it's just that the temperature is hotter then. Here, the temperature on a sunny day peaks about 5pm, when it's actually going down behind the big trees to the west of us. What I noticed one day was that in my front yard which is mostly lawn, it was comfortably hot. When I went to the store less than a mile away, and got out of the car, it was almost unbearably hot. Thinking about it, I formed my theory, it's the buildup of heat on the ground, especially concrete during the day. By afternoon, you have the sun still providing heat, but in addition, the heat coming up from the ground.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:55 AM

789 posts, read 369,084 times
Is your grill/oven/stove the hottest immediately after turning it on or after it's been running for a while?

Same reason

Old 07-14-2023, 10:10 AM

2,035 posts, read 990,377 times
OMG has nobody heard of things lie the earth's rotation around the sun, tilt, seasons, etc.? SMH

Old 07-14-2023, 10:21 AM

2,035 posts, read 990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
Is your grill/oven/stove the hottest immediately after turning it on or after it's been running for a while?

Same reason
Heat sink is a thing, yes, in some environments.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:27 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In my experience, the sun is not hotter in the afternoon, it's just that the temperature is hotter then. Here, the temperature on a sunny day peaks about 5pm, when it's actually going down behind the big trees to the west of us. What I noticed one day was that in my front yard which is mostly lawn, it was comfortably hot. When I went to the store less than a mile away, and got out of the car, it was almost unbearably hot. Thinking about it, I formed my theory, it's the buildup of heat on the ground, especially concrete during the day. By afternoon, you have the sun still providing heat, but in addition, the heat coming up from the ground.
That's how solar heating systems work work.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:34 AM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:

Same reason

Bingo. Heat is additive.

If you keep heating a fluid, it is going to get hotter and hotter as you add more heat. Even after it's mid-day apogee, the sun is still at sufficient angle to keep on heating the atmosphere and the surface. At some point, the setting sun in your location is so low in the sky, it can't add significant heat and the air cools down. And then, there is sunset...

Old 07-14-2023, 10:59 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Ignoring for a moment seasons and axial tilt, there are a couple of things happening. As mentioned above both the atmosphere and the surface are heating throughout the day. And as you reach mid-day, the sun is its most direct with the least amount of atmosphere between you and it to impact the intensity you feel. As you move on through the day, the atmosphere keeps heating while the sun angle gets lower and hence more atmosphere to protect you. Eventually it starts radiating and cooling off. Of course, there are a significant number of weather effects that change the actual results in any one area from day to day.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:16 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:

Same reason

(well stated)

/thread

Old 07-14-2023, 01:13 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Then why do they say "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun," instead of five pm sun?

Because the sun is strongest mid day, even if the temperature keeps rising.

Here in Arizona, I go for a walk before 6am, while it's only in the 80s. It's been 105°+ every afternoon for weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology