Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2023, 07:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,308 times

Advertisements

Was a fios customer but now renting an apartment in a house that has altice. They include cable and wifi as part of the rent but I miss the faster internet speeds of Fios and want my own DVR. Can Fios run their own lines alongside the optimum\fios cable so it doesnt create any new holes or mess with the existing service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 07:39 PM

Also, what about hooking the same tv to both systems? Can that work?

Old 08-24-2023, 08:09 AM

1,097 posts, read 647,541 times
It just got FIOS as well. It was installed without affecting the existing service, but there is a new hole. I always keep a close eye on exactly what the installer is doing. YMMV

TV cannot be connected to both at the same time.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:53 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Your real question is going to be, if your building "doesn't" have FIOS, will Verizon run a line - they've stopped their rollout in a lot of places. Not to mention your landlord/property manager has to agree to it.

Verizon isn't going to run a line to one room, forget about that. Won't happen. If they already have service in your house, you should be able to open a new account. I wouldn't expect you to have two different services though. Not to mention, you'd have to get coax cable run from the Verizon box to wherever you are. Can't run two different CATV services over the same cable. You might be able to rig up an adapter, but why?

Yes, you can run two cable boxes on the same TV, just put them on different HDMI ports. Moot point most likely though, since I doubt you're getting Verizon.

TL;DR - you're probably not getting Verizon to come out and lay fiber along the existing lines just so you can have two different internet services.

Old 08-24-2023, 04:30 PM

1,097 posts, read 647,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Yes, you can run two cable boxes on the same TV, just put them on different HDMI ports.
Yeah my bad. I wasn't thinking of external devices. I was just thinking of connecting the TV directly to the router via wifi or ethernet.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:31 PM

Confused but processing. Son's rental comes with WiFi and altice cable but he doesn't feel comfortable sharing a DVR with strangers and wants to choose his own channels. Would rather pay himself _ or have us pay_ but physically not sure because the landlord wouldn't want the existing cables being converted and not sure they would like a new hole somewhere. But the deal includes wifi and he doesn't much like that either.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:00 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Confused but processing. Son's rental comes with WiFi and altice cable but he doesn't feel comfortable sharing a DVR with strangers and wants to choose his own channels. Would rather pay himself _ or have us pay_ but physically not sure because the landlord wouldn't want the existing cables being converted and not sure they would like a new hole somewhere. But the deal includes wifi and he doesn't much like that either.
Does he have a smart tv? If so, and as you say he is willing to pay, he can just download apps and pay for his own service (Apple TV, YouTube TV, Netflix, etc.) that has built in DVR. If he doesnt have smart tv, he can still obtain a Firecube and connect to his laptop. Oh, and with YouTube tv (which I have) you can also stream from your iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology