Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 AM

10 posts, read 15,260 times

Advertisements

Hey all why has America not gone Metric yet?

Please Sign my Petition, to tell [mod]substitute "the government"[/mod] to bring America into the Twenty-First Century....

[url=http://www.change.org/actions/view/twenty-first_century_metric_america]Twenty-First Century Metric America | Change.org[/url]

Last edited by Bo; 11-02-2009 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Deleted reference to political figure. National politics are off-topic in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Please wait until after I am dead. Thankyouverymuch

Old 11-02-2009, 11:06 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,966 times
The medical industry in America is all metric. It's a good start.

But because we have this whole antiquated notion of "freedom" and stuff, people don't want to be forced to use it everywhere.

Even though I like the metric system and prefer it to the Imperial system, I will not sign your petition, because I don't like the idea of forcing people to do something, even if it is something I think is beneficial.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM

Well then keep America in the dark ages then, and try to continue to compete in the World Free Trade Market while America continues to be Forced to purchase two sets of Tools and hardware to keep things going the way they are, no one else in the world has to. Who is forcing who here? Your laziness is forcing me to spend more then I need to. Is that really cost effective? Are you trying to compete in business? If so, you are not a very good businessman.

[URL="http://www.change.org/actions/view/twenty-first_century_metric_america"]Twenty-First Century Metric America | Change.org[/URL]

Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
If it really really needs to be metric, it is.

There is nothing stopping GM or Ford or any other company from turning out 100% metric products, but to legislate that they do so is not the solution.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Default Compelely Off-based

That is funny, it has been a 'volunteer' based so far, and only way any thing have been change was through Government intervention. You are so off base it is hilarious. Look at all your packaging labels, Government controlled. Wall Street/Banking Transactions, Government Controlled. Weight Measurements, Government Controlled. Why/How do think the Imperial System was chosen in the first place? Because the Government sanctioned/approved it. The Government can take it away.

Everywhere that anything was not under Government Actions there was major corruption. People are greedy and will do anything to rip off others. Take the unregulated Derivatives Market as the latest example. It crashed Wall Street and screws millions stock holders.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeholdersEye View Post
Well then keep America in the dark ages then, and try to continue to compete in the World Free Trade Market while America continues to be Forced to purchase two sets of Tools and hardware to keep things going the way they are, no one else in the world has to. Who is forcing who here? Your laziness is forcing me to spend more then I need to. Is that really cost effective? Are you trying to compete in business? If so, you are not a very good businessman.

Twenty-First Century Metric America | Change.org
Do you not see the inherent irony is demanding legislation to compete in "World Free Trade"?

If the "World Free Trade Market" wants American products (do we still make anything?) in Metric, guess what American manufacturers are going to do? Profit works better than regulation.

If you want the metric system to be used, vote with your dollar. Only buy things that include metric measuring and are built to metric measurements. Begging politicians to beat up people who don't like the metric system isn't very sportsmanlike.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
That is funny, it has been a 'volunteer' based so far, and only way any thing have been change was through Government intervention. You are so off base it is hilarious.
I already mentioned the medical industry. Do I need to point out the import automobile industry as well?

They are not required to be metric, but they are. So who is hilariously off-base?

Quote:
Look at all your packaging labels, Government controlled. Wall Street/Banking Transactions, Government Controlled. Weight Measurements, Government Controlled. Why/How do think the Imperial System was chosen in the first place? Because the Government sanctioned/approved it. The Government can take it away.
You're right. If you trust government to give it to you, government can take it away. Which is exactly why I don't think government should be controlling those things. Standards evolve and develop on their own. They don't have to be mandated by government

If you don't believe me, research the history of the computer you are reading this message on. It is a history replete with the voluntary, market-driven adoption of industry standards.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:41 PM

Default You do not get it. Not a Businessman.

'If the "World Free Trade Market" wants American products (do we still make anything?) in Metric, guess what American manufacturers are going to do? Profit works better than regulation.'

Right, having two hardware in stock does not eat into profits. You still do not get it, pal. You are still wasting money on two different set of hardware/tools. Or on fu--up jobs because of translating from one system to the system.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
'If the "World Free Trade Market" wants American products (do we still make anything?) in Metric, guess what American manufacturers are going to do? Profit works better than regulation.'

Right, having two hardware in stock does not eat into profits. You still do not get it, pal. You are still wasting money on two different set of hardware/tools. Or on fu--up jobs because of translating from one system to the system.
I do get it. If it were *NOT* profitable for tool manufacturers to sell *two* sets of tools to every car mechanic, they wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology