Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,786 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a potentially opportunity in Seattle, somewhere in the 80k-100k range in IT. That said, I have some questions about your lovely city. I've only passed through shortly, and have some concerns. I'll travel there and spend some time before making a permanent decision, but I'd like some information prior to this, so I know where to look around.

Here's the short of it - I currently live in San Antonio, but have lived all over, including living on an island many thousands of miles in the middle of nowhere. My current location has an extremely low cost of living, but the people are the bar/club crowd at best, and we won't even discuss the worst!

I used to be a homebody, but I've been hiking and camping more frequently as part of a lifestyle change I'm undertaking. Quit smoking some time ago, quit drinking, and trying to live a healthier life. I've realized my current location isn't ideal for this, as the heat in the summer makes most outdoor activities impossible. I'm also an avid shooter, in fact, I teach marksmanship in a national program. I love fishing, I like hunting, and so forth.

I've looked at many locations for positions that will allow me to spend more time with outdoor hobbies on weekends/holidays, but most do not have the type of employment I desire. Seattle, however, does - and from what I've read about/looked at/know in terms of geography, it certainly has it in spades.

I'm in my late 20s, single (and this is a consideration, too, as I'd eventually like to change this status), and fairly outgoing. I'm somewhere in the middle of the political spectrum (I focus on the issues, not the party). In terms of city vs. country, I also fall somewhere in the middle. I've lived in major downtown areas before (Dallas/Atlanta/etc) and the apartment life isn't for me. I may look into apartments in Seattle, first, to get my bearings (assuming I move there) before looking at homes, though.

So, with my background (feel free to ask questions if I've left anything out that might help you inform me), I'm looking for input on the potential move to Seattle, as well as input as to where I should look for housing. Both short-term (something to rent, home or apartment, until I determine if I want to stay 5+ years), and long-term. This is so I can start shopping around and seeing what's available.

Here are my ideals in this regard, as well as my budget (so if the ideals cannot be achieved due to budget, feel free to tell me so):
a) Short-term goals: I'd not want to spend more than 1500/m in rent, if possible, unless it was necessary. Ideally less, but I don't want to live in a bad location. This is so I can keep socking away a fair amount of money per month, while still looking/determining what my long-term plan is.
b) Long-term goals: I'd probably be looking at a maximum payment of 2200/m based on 1/3 of the 80k gross I'd be earning, at a minimum. I have 50,000+ saved already that can be used towards a down-payment if necessary.

As to my preferences, my *ideal* (and likely not possible) situation would be:
1) No more than a 30 minute commute, ideally by public transit/bicycle. 1 hour would be the *hard* limit.
2) On the water (yeah right, with the money I'm looking at, but doesn't hurt to throw it out there). Same for scenic view, I'd love one.
3) At least two bedrooms, preferably three (this would be a more long-term location, as I'm single and don't need this for myself. I'd just not want to *buy* a home with too few bedrooms and have to sell it, I prefer making long-term sound decisions. For short-term/rented housing, I can deal with 1-2 bedrooms without issue).
4) I prefer homes to apartments. I like not having people banging on walls, people stomping on the floor, and I really like to smoke food/bbq! Having folks visit also won't disturb neighbors.
5) A good location where necessary conveniences are relatively easy to get to, again - public transit/bicycle range would be awesome, but I don't mind driving some miles. I just don't want to be an hour away via car/truck to a grocery store. I like shopping daily so I can have fresh food without spoiling.
6) I don't like homeowners associations. At all. It needs to be said.
7) Reasonable utilities. One requirement, I absolutely need decent broadband (10mbit+ downstream, 1mbit+ upstream would be nice, but 512kbit/s is the minimum. I'd love 20mbit+, but I don't know if FTTH is common in WA). It's something required for my potential employment. The faster, the better.
8) Safe. I had a relatively expensive apartment in Atlanta, but had 3 people shot and killed in front of it within a year. I've also had three vehicular break-ins in my current location, with nothing inside to loot. I'm getting tired of this!

There are likely other things I'm missing, but I think I need your feedback/input, first. I'd really like to make an informed decision, and I need some information beyond what I've been able to find on my own before I spend more time researching. I may have further questions as responses are posted. Also, again, please feel free to request more information if it'll be of use to you, I may have overlooked an important detail.

Thank you kindly for any input you might have!

[Edit: I forgot to mention, the potential location of my employment would be around the Lake Washington area, slightly north of 520.]

Last edited by monolith; 06-06-2010 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Forgot location I'd be working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:15 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
If you're going to be working in Kirkland, why not live there. You can certainly find a nice apartment there in your price range.

You aren't going to be working for your namesake are you? I'm surprised they're still a company.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:07 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
You aren't going to be working for your namesake are you? I'm surprised they're still a company.
Monolith was bought by Time-Warner in 2004. They are still around and taking advantage of the Warner Brothers licenses.

I agree - just live in Kirkland.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 8,786 times
No, not working for anything named 'monolith' nor the company that purchased it. Thank you both for your input. Still looking for more, as I have a lot of unanswered questions.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:57 PM

23 posts, read 61,178 times
Well downtown Kirkland isn't bad. There is a decent downtown area with a vibrant nightlife to boot. For $1400 you can probably get a decent 2BR (probably not right on the water, but close to it).

If you do insist on staying in Seattle then look at Queen Ann, Belletown, and Capital Hill areas. As they probably fit the bill of being close, nice, and very much city like.

If you're looking into suburbs then probably Bothell or Woodinville (beware cause they're really more suburbs than Kirkland).

Or you can try downtown Bellevue (I live there).

Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Monolith was bought by Time-Warner in 2004. They are still around and taking advantage of the Warner Brothers licenses.

I agree - just live in Kirkland.
I know. Their dying games went to Sony and now they're just doing games for WB. Their studio used to be right near the P&R off of 520 in Kirkland,which is why I assumed the connection.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith View Post
No, not working for anything named 'monolith' nor the company that purchased it. Thank you both for your input. Still looking for more, as I have a lot of unanswered questions.
Seattle is all about the outdoors and healthy living. Lots of physical activities, lots of groups meet up and gathering set up for that. Great food quality, both in restaurants and groceries (though that might be more pricey than where you're from). Seattle and its metro area has lots of options, lots of trails, lots of nature; if you want city living with some density, you'd have that as well. So all you really have to do is find the one area that syncs up with your personality. Groceries stores and all that stuff are around and never too far.

Your budget plan looks reasonable. Its the best time to rent (not to buy). Our public transit is set up so that you can rest your bike on their racks.

In terms of Safety... Atlanta doesn't compare to here. We are very safe. Property crime is higher than violent crimes. But if you're smart and act responsibly, you'll be fine. The only "criminal" thing left would be the dumb drivers on our roads.

Can't speak about the broadband... very technology unsavvy here.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:39 PM

23 posts, read 61,178 times
Comcast offers 50 Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream if you can get it (be sure to look it up). Ofc you have to pay $100 a month. Avoid broadstripe like the plague, although you should be fine unless you want to live in south Seattle.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:05 AM

21 posts, read 74,538 times
Stay on the eastside-meaning Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond. Lots of professional singles. If you have a job offer in this area, I'd be all over it! You are in your 20's, so don't over think it

Old 06-19-2010, 12:22 AM

172 posts, read 442,147 times
Seattle has all the oudoor adventures you could think of. Its way sweet. The cost of living in Seattle is alot higher than Texas. My wife is from Ft worth area and I'm amazed the size of houses they have for the price there in Texas compared to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area