Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times

Advertisements

Admittedly, I have never even visited Seattle, and I'm one of these dorks whose interest in the city was triggered by Frasier. However, I have spent the last several years reading up on neighborhoods such as Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, West Seattle, and Downtown. Bellevue also interests me with some of their urban planning and downtown re-development initiatives. Also, Washington is obviously a beautiful and geographically diverse state.

Let's just say that, in no particular order, Seattle, as well as coastal metro L.A. (not inland), California's central coast, Fort Worth, Houston, and Austin are my top choices for relocation. All very different areas with different personalities but with interesting histories. The people from these areas that I've met have generally been friendly and with more of a positive vibe. Additionally, these have all been traditionally fast-growing metro regions (except the central coast) with more of a market for urban and transportation planners, either of which I want to pursue as a career.

A little about me: I have lived in Kentucky for all of my 24 years. All over the state, in fact, but never outside of it; currently I live just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. Even though I have a Southern accent (although not too strong ) and was raised in a rural area, I've never been a true "redneck". In fact, the whole horse racing/Kentucky Derby and 24-7 University of Kentucky Wildcats culture that is very present in the state is rather cheesy to me. While Kentucky does have some great colleges--Centre and Berea come to mind--college basketball and gambling on horses are emphasized much more than anything else.

As for the people...well, I've traveled to 20 states (not quite the world traveler, I know), and while I don't think I'll qualify for Mensa anytime soon, it amazes me to listen to such terrible grammar from so many people. Oh, and when I worked in retail about five years ago, two 30-something men asked me if we sold 8-tracks! (No joke.)

Kentucky is also a very cliquish place and, although I can be introverted around people I don't know, I become very extroverted once you warm up to me a little bit. I have plenty of real-life acquaintances but it is extremely hard to make true friends here. I've read about the "Seattle Freeze"; well, trust me, the "Kentucky Freeze" exists. I'm a pretty live-and-let-live sort of guy, just don't approach me with a rude or condescending attitude--which, maybe surprisingly to you all, is actually quite common in "friendly" Louisville and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky. (Parts of rural KY are generally more laid back and chill, though.) Oh, and as for the dating scene, the average age of first marriage for females is 23.8 years, so for this 24-year-old male even finding a coffee date is challenging. Nightlife is nice, but just sitting on a patio or porch drinking beer, eating brats and burgers and talking with folks about whatever comes our way is just fine by me.

I am also politically libertarian on some things and Reagan-esque conservative on others. I've read that Seattle, while an openly and proudly liberal city, is also a city where its people will respect your points of view as long as you respect theirs. I hope this is true.

My only concern: the high number of cloudy days in the Puget Sound region. Of course, our October-March is very cloudy and makes people more depressed and gloomy. Kinda unfortunate, actually. But at least western WA summers would be more comfortable with lower humidity (not that I can't handle hot and humid, I much prefer it to 10 degrees and snowy!)

Anyway, I have no connections (not that I'm expecting to make any on C-D), so it's hard to just up and move to Seattle unless I were to, say, apply for and be accepted into grad school at UW.

If you're from Seattle, would you honestly recommend Seattle for me? If you're a transplant to Seattle, what brought you to there and how did it happen?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-21-2010 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Grammatical changes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:14 PM

918 posts, read 1,698,403 times
Without having a chance to address everyone of the points you made in your post, I can tell you that I spent a little less than a year in Louisville, KY in 2001-2002 and I'd say Seattle would be a major upgrade.

Bardstown is nice but it's not Capitol Hill. Generally speaking, there are a ton more things to do in Seattle area than Louisville, or probably anywhere in KY, not sure about Cinci metro area as I haven't spent a ton of time up there.

I too share your opinion about the attitudes in the supposedly "friendly" Southern town of Louisville. It's weird, because the city is quite liberal and they do have a rich tradition of supporting the arts. It would seem that Louisville's liberal politics, artsy tradition, general quirkiness combined with Southern hospitality would make for a conducive social atmosphere - alas, this wasn't the case with me as I really struggled to meet people there. Oh, I lived in J-town in an apartment complex with extremely thin ceilings and a woman above me who would never leave her house would constantly call the leasing office to complain about my music without even bothering to talk to me face-to-face even once. Coworkers were a nightmare. Most nights that year I spent alone with my Playstation

Say what you want about Seattle Freeze, and I'm not denying or admitting its existence, but my experience living here has been infinitely better. Neighbors have complained about the noise here too but this time they had the courtesy to speak to me and put a polite letter under my door once. One time I complained to my next door neighbor, I received an apology card the next day. My coworkers here have been way less uptight and fun-loving - going out for happy hours, lunches and actually socializing about things other than work. Nightlife, outdoor activities, options for weekend getaways, everything else way better. A TON more singles here as well.

But that's just my experience so take for what it's worth. Maybe it's not fair to compare a place where one spends only 10 months of their life with one where one spent almost 5 years at a more mature age.

I'd recommend it, unless you have SAD and can't live without the sun for long stretches of time. And if you miss the horses, there's always Emerald Downs

Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Without having a chance to address everyone of the points you made in your post, I can tell you that I spent a little less than a year in Louisville, KY in 2001-2002 and I'd say Seattle would be a major upgrade.

Bardstown is nice but it's not Capitol Hill. Generally speaking, there are a ton more things to do in Seattle area than Louisville, or probably anywhere in KY, not sure about Cinci metro area as I haven't spent a ton of time up there.

Louisville also has Original Highlands (parallels Bardstown Road and is adjacent to the Highlands), although that is just more of a really cool residential nabe to live in. It also has Crescent Hill and Clifton, and the city has been very successful with revitalizing Downtown; in fact, DT Louisville is now, in my opinion, stronger and more happening than nearby cities like Indy, Columbus, Cincy, and certainly Lexington.

I too share your opinion about the attitudes in the supposedly "friendly" Southern town of Louisville. It's weird, because the city is quite liberal and they do have a rich tradition of supporting the arts. It would seem that Louisville's liberal politics, artsy tradition, general quirkiness combined with Southern hospitality would make for a conducive social atmosphere - alas, this wasn't the case with me as I really struggled to meet people there. Oh, I lived in J-town in an apartment complex with extremely thin ceilings and a woman above me who would never leave her house would constantly call the leasing office to complain about my music without even bothering to talk to me face-to-face even once. Coworkers were a nightmare. Most nights that year I spent alone with my Playstation

I spent plenty of nights alone surfing the net in Louisville. Same here in Northern Kentucky now.

Cincinnati also has a rich tradition in supporting the arts, has an extremely unique (in a good way) local culture and has plenty of trace of Southern culture thanks to mass transplantation over the years from Southern Appalachian Scots-Irish job seekers. But I also think it's that standoffish Scots-Irish element that makes the region what it is: very cautious of and closed off to folks who aren't like them.

Say what you want about Seattle Freeze, and I'm not denying or admitting its existence, but my experience living here has been infinitely better. Neighbors have complained about the noise here too but this time they had the courtesy to speak to me and put a polite letter under my door once. One time I complained to my next door neighbor, I received an apology card the next day. My coworkers here have been way less uptight and fun-loving - going out for happy hours, lunches and actually socializing about things other than work. Nightlife, outdoor activities, options for weekend getaways, everything else way better. A TON more singles here as well.
But that's just my experience so take for what it's worth. Maybe it's not fair to compare a place where one spends only 10 months of their life with one where one spent almost 5 years at a more mature age.

I only lived in Louisville for nine months, but continued to commute to college there for another three years. Believe it or not, I didn't like any other public college in Kentucky well enough to transfer to, so I stuck with the University of Louisville for the rest of my undergrad years (and I couldn't afford a private school.) But the student body and organization and even church groups were unfriendly...I mean remarkably unfriendly, such as ignoring you when you clearly acknowledge them.

I'd recommend it, unless you have SAD and can't live without the sun for long stretches of time. And if you miss the horses, there's always Emerald Downs
Answers are in bold.

You know, after working in customer service I've met plenty of folks from the Seattle area. I liked many of the ones I met. I know it's silly to make a general assumption on a metro area of 3+ million, but behavior and conduct always leaves an impression.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:53 AM

333 posts, read 810,831 times
I would advise you find a way to get as much real life experience of Seattle as you can before deciding to move there. Even if it is just online, this place is a start but try for something that will give you a feel for the social interaction.

The lesson I learned from many moves is that there are two components to how you will fit into a place - how you experience it and how it experiences you. It's important to find out about this before you make a big commitment. You already know the travel brochure version of what Seattle is, it's a magnificent city with much to offer, but I'd say look for the personal angle of what it would be for you as well as for the other cities you are considering.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 AM

368 posts, read 695,903 times
I grew up in Atlanta, and then up to Athens, GA for college. The Pacific NW is very different from the South in a lot of good ways, but at the same time there will be things you miss. For me Sweet tea, good bbq, thunder storms, warm summer nights, night swimming, and sunshine are some of that list. Looking back I think everyone should consider the people currently in their lives ie friends, family etc. before moving this far. I miss family the most and it's easy to think I'll just hop on a plane anytime to see them, but reality is that doesn't always happen whether its due to work/cost or whatever.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM

649 posts, read 1,769,503 times
i've lived in seattle, tacoma, and bremerton all at different times in my life and i certainly don't think anyone from the south would enjoy the PNW only becasue they are use to friendly people. and the PNW people are NOT friendly. they are sullen, they rarely have a smile and and friendly hello when they encounter people. just look at the checkout stands at your local stores and see how many people greet each other with a smile or a hello or conversation................RARELY do you see people greet each other like that. and in the south that is second nature.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:35 AM

and another thing, one CAN NOT underestamate the effect of not seeing the sun for years. they have in the pnw what's called sunburst; that's the few minuts the sun might be uncovered by the clouds a few days out of the year. if you've lived in an area with regular sunny summers and are not a writer or big time indoor enthusist then you'll go bonkers in the pnw. unless you have a job where you travel a lot so can go visit the sun. other then the people, traffic, and weather, the pnw is beautiful to look at. very green and scenic and lots to do. but snooty people and gray skies are a BIG BIG deal to lots of people.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:17 AM

328 posts, read 839,512 times
Transplant from Texas (Austin/Houston). Moved to Seattle in 91, been here since.

Weather is what you make of it. Cloudy days, well, if there a clouds in the sky on any given day, even if it's for a few hours, it will be considered a cloudy day. Never mind that the sun was shining bright from noon to dusk. This is not to say that it isn't cloudy a lot, it is. After frying in the hot Texas sun for 24 years, it was the MAIN reason I moved here.

I think what a lot folks experience is the short days in winter that are also cloudy and wet. When daylight is only from 8a to 4p and it's cloudy most of that time, most people don't fair well. Then the rainy season goes until May or June (as it often does), people get real antsy for the sun. Now me, while I like the sunny days in summer, I tire of them quickly and look forward to winter again. If you can deal with nine months of less than sunny weather, you'll be fine in that department. My suggestion is to make two trips, August and December.

For me, Seattle is perfect (even with it's flaws). However, for others, it may not be. You need to experience it to know.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM

328 posts, read 839,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
i've lived in seattle, tacoma, and bremerton all at different times in my life and i certainly don't think anyone from the south would enjoy the PNW only becasue they are use to friendly people. and the PNW people are NOT friendly. they are sullen, they rarely have a smile and and friendly hello when they encounter people. just look at the checkout stands at your local stores and see how many people greet each other with a smile or a hello or conversation................RARELY do you see people greet each other like that. and in the south that is second nature.
As a former southerner of twenty five years, and current PNW resident of twenty years, I respectfully disagree with your opinion. But thanks for sharing.

Southern friendliness IMO is often a front for getting the gossip and spreading the gossip. And if you're not from the area, you're a yankee any way you slice it and dice it and you will not likely be allowed in any inner circle for a long time, if ever.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
As a former southerner of twenty five years, and current PNW resident of twenty years, I respectfully disagree with your opinion. But thanks for sharing.

Southern friendliness IMO is often a front for getting the gossip and spreading the gossip. And if you're not from the area, you're a yankee any way you slice it and dice it and you will not likely be allowed in any inner circle for a long time, if ever.
ya but when someone is smiling and saying good morning at the check out line, i'm not looking to make a like long buddy; it's just the simple politness that makes coexistance more enjoyable. and you don't get those type of pleasentries or manners from many people in the pnw. maybe you say well it's "real", then give me the artifical niceties of the old days and old south ways any time. and honestly are you telling me that people in seattle/tacoma/bremerton or any of the big cities on the west coast are approchable and hosipitable????? through all my travels you'll only find these types of people in the flyover parts of the us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area