Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,668 times

Advertisements

My partner (of 9 years) and I are planning to relocate from Columbus, OH to the Seattle area. We are looking for a gay friendly neighborhood in which to purchase our home. We're looking for a nice yard, 1200sf or more, quite area in the $200-$225 range. Does anyone have an opinion on areas such as Auburn, Renton, Des Moines, Federal Way or that section of Seattle proper (any other suggestions)? Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
So, I think in your price range, you're going to be out of luck in Seattle proper, however that's where you're going to find the most gay-friendly neighborhoods. You might consider buying a condo and living in an area like Capitol Hill or Columbia City.

I'm from CA, and just left WA after 3 years. Coming from CA, Auburn had a distinct redneck feel to it (so I'm thinking not gay-friendly, someone correct me if I'm wrong), Renton is very family-oriented suburbia, but the area around downtown Renton is kind of cool, and if you don't have kids, I'd recommend it, but the schools for that area of Renton are some of the worst in the state, I don't have any experience with Des Moines, and Federal Way is sort of a sprawl of strip mall suburbia, and from the time I spent there, I don't think I'd call it gay-friendly.

Hopefully someone has some better info, but I think the further south of Seattle you go, the less gay-friendly you're going to get.

Good luck!

V. =)

Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,880 times
There Goes the Gayborhood - Page 1 - News - Seattle - Seattle Weekly

Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I mostly agree with Veronika about Auburn. Renton and Kent are more gay friendly. Also, there isn't going to be a lot out there with 1200 square feet and a nice yard in your price range, but Renton and Kent have a lot ( I'm partial to Renton, and I know that there are a fair number of gay exiles there from Seattle). Within the Seattle city limits, Upper Rainier Beach is one neighborhood that may fit the bill. Rainier Beach itself is a bit undesirable, but up the hill ( Upper Rainier Beach) is a lot nicer. Also, the Lakeridge and Bryn Mawr areas in the 98178 zip code( between Seattle and Renton) have a lot of homes with bigger lots and lower prices, and is a gay friendly area.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Ira, I'm planning on driving through parts of Renton tomorrow, primarily the east part of Renton. In your opinion is that the nicer part of Renton? What nice sections of Renton would you recommend.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
The eastern part of Renton is nice. Too many new houses there, but it gets prettier the further east you go on NE 4th ST...If you turn north on Union Street and keep going til it stops and then turn left, you'll hit the hiking trail known as the devil's elbow ( really pretty), and if you stay on the street bearing left you'll hit Kennydale. Kennydale is also a nice neighborhood, especially right along Lake WA. Kennydale is on both sides of 405, and,while some of it is noisy from the freeway, other parts have big trees and water views

Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 7,668 times
Thanks everyone for the info. We're not the "pda" types......just looking for an area that you can hang out in your backyard peacefully and host an occasional grill out / cocktail party. We found several options in the Renton area and plan to look in Kent as well. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area