Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has better entertainment options?
Seattle 33 58.93%
Vancouver 23 41.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 AM

19 posts, read 43,715 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to what people think. Ive spent a lot of time in both, and a friend from CA travelling to the PNW recently asked me this question--and I had a hard time answering.

Overall, Id say Seattle is the better city, but that Vancouver might have slightly better entertainment options (cultural activities, parks, nightlife, restaurants, etc.)

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,746 times
Seattle doesn't have the energy, style, cohesiveness or the drive to foster good nightlife. City officials and most older residents are fervently anti-nightlife (think Footloose but in a self-righteous way). But Vancouver kinda sucks so Seattle wins.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM

233 posts, read 752,282 times
Vancouver is very vibrant downtown with lots of folks walking around but when it comes to actual cultural options and entertainment Seattle does this better. The music scene in Seattle is well supported with numerous venues for live music as well as music festivals. The classical arts are well represented with a great symphony, ballet and opera- all recognized nationally. Capitol Hill, Ballard, Fremont all have an array of cool bars and restaurants, indie cafe's and some cool shops. There's always a festival in Seattle during the summer-just tons of live music and activities going on.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,663 times
Seattle, I guess, but not by much

Old 08-08-2010, 10:22 PM

10 posts, read 24,971 times
I would say Vancouver. Stanley Park beats any Seattle park, Granville and Gastown are bigger entertainment districts than anything in Seattle. In general, Vancouver's walkable area is significantly bigger and the city is more fun to walk around.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times
Vancouver, of course. Seattle sucks.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,757 times
Great insight movingwiththewind.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Great insight movingwiththewind.
Thanks for not taking my comment seriously. You are cool!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,757 times
Edit. Sorry MWTW, I was short of caffeine today; slow in processing your comment today... point taken ; )

ANYWAY....

Seattle.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
OK, just gave you 2 points for the coolness. But, Seattle? Are you serious? Can you explain, why?
To movingwiththewind:

Interesting. In your messages you say how you like a lot of things about Seattle but then in these threads you try to bash Seattle in any way you can.
I liked your most recent message though and I'll respond soon!

Seattle is no slouch in entertainment. In those one survey, its rated in the top 10 for most fun places in the USA(7th place!) This is out of hundreds/thousands of places in the USA and it came 7th. I think in some ways Seattle beats Vancouver in entertainment and in other ways Vancouver beats Seattle in entertainment. In some ways I prefer Seattle over Vancouver and in other ways I prefer Vancouver over Seattle.

Seattle had so many cultural events June-September(2 film festivals, music festivals, an environmental festival, a jazz festival, lots of music concerts). And all of these events are so affordable! Im sure Vancouver has a lot of cultural events like that too.

Also Seattle beats Vancouver in the music scene, independent coffee/tea places, and having more varied old and modern architecture in its downtown. Seattle also seems to have some better nature/outdoor possibilities than Vancouver in some ways while in other ways Vancouver has better nature/outdoor opportunities. Seattle also has a better economy and is more affordable than Vancouver.

Vancouver probably has better nightlife, a better food scene, more walkable areas, better public transportation, has a more bigger dense downtown, more diversity, but Seattle still has a great food scene, a nice vibrant downtown, and good amount of diversity, and some walkable areas. In some ways Vancouver beats Seattle in city skyline and in other ways Seattle beats Vancouver in city skyline.

I know so many people that love both Seattle and Vancouver and then there are some I know that like Vancouver much more than Seattle or Seattle much more than Vancouver. I love both cities and their regions.

Vancouver and Seattle are more similar than you think!
I wish Portland, Oregon was more like Vancouver and Seattle in some ways. I wonder what you would think of Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area