Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 05:30 AM

507 posts, read 1,670,187 times

Advertisements

Hi there

As I've probably mentioned in a previous post that my wife and I are moving to Seattle in a couple of months time. We've had a chance to have a look at the City for a week a little while back. Out of the areas we saw we liked Capitol Hill the most. We're both in our thirties and like to live in an urban environment. We appreciate having a few restaurants and bars on our doorstep and we would also like to avoid having a car (use zip car instead). Capitol Hill seemed quite quirky and diverse and we quite like that.

So the question is,a re there any obvious downsides to living in Capitol Hill? We have been living the last 8 years in London and so are used to a certain degree of antisocial behavior, dirt and shady characters that you inevitably come across in a big city but of course there is a limit to everything. Is there a lot of violent crime in Capitol Hill? Muggings? etc? Drug users hanging around in the street? Of course I would like my wife to be happy to walk home at night on her own if necessary...

So please let me know if you think living in Capitol Hill isn't such a great idea Of course, if you can recommend any alternative areas I'd be interested as well. I'll be working in SLU and want to walk or cycle there, so Capitol Hill is also great in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,604,372 times
Just use your good common sense honed from years in London and you'll be fine.

PS: Welcome to Seattle. Let me share with you an anecdote from my first month in the city. I was leaving REI on Capitol Hill (before they built their monster flagship store) and a guy walked past the store in a blue body suit, red shorts over it, and a red cape. A young woman leaving at the same time, without batting an eye, looked at me and said "every neighborhood needs a superhero" and went out the door.

I knew then I'd love living in Seattle.

So, if you appreciate the quirky and diverse, you'll like it here. And you already have a superhero in the neighborhood.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 PM

240 posts, read 535,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Just use your good common sense honed from years in London and you'll be fine.

PS: Welcome to Seattle. Let me share with you an anecdote from my first month in the city. I was leaving REI on Capitol Hill (before they built their monster flagship store) and a guy walked past the store in a blue body suit, red shorts over it, and a red cape. A young woman leaving at the same time, without batting an eye, looked at me and said "every neighborhood needs a superhero" and went out the door.

I knew then I'd love living in Seattle.

So, if you appreciate the quirky and diverse, you'll like it here. And you already have a superhero in the neighborhood.
That anecdote is so awesome I can't stand it.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:59 PM

807 posts, read 2,260,008 times
Sounds like you're set. Capitol Hill doesn't have anything bad worth mentioning that you wouldn't already be used to.
By the way, I've noticed quite a few UK blokes moving over here lately. What's up with that?

Old 08-21-2010, 01:10 PM

10,757 posts, read 23,861,094 times
I lived on Cap Hill for 5 years. It's gentrified a lot and seemes to be getting better. And the new subway station will certainly add lot more merritt to the neighborhood. The homeless and street punks do wear thin after a while but I loved the walkability of the neighborhood, easy walk into downtown. I appreciated it a lot more in my 20's, now that I'm in my 30's I've adopted a more suburban liking.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Seems we're on the right path and Capitol Hill is a good starting point then. I reckon we'll definitely stay there to start with and then we can always change plans as we get to know the City better.

What's this new subway station you mention? I haven' heard anything about that but sounds interesting...

Not sure why so many UK people are coming to Seattle...I guess it's all the big tech companies. My company is relocating from London to Seattle and it sounded like a good opportunity to get to know the American way of life ;-) I am originally German though, I've only been to the Uk for about 9 years...so I really hope in Seattle the supply of German Bretzels and Bratwursts is better than in London

Old 08-21-2010, 01:38 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,886,968 times
It'll be a couple years before the Capitol Hill Light rail station will be in use. They are building right now. Do keep in mind how it might affect your life if you live closely to construction.

But hey, at least you'll have cheap transportation to the airport in a couple years.

Sound Transit Projects: Capitol Hill Station construction

Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,835,053 times
Too many people!!! On the plus side, there's a Dicks there! Awesome burgers, fries, and shakes!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Too many people!!! On the plus side, there's a Dicks there! Awesome burgers, fries, and shakes!
If there's not more people than at London Bridge tube station (which I seriously doubt) on a Monday morning I am gonna be alright ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area