Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 PM

138 posts, read 465,202 times

Advertisements

Ok, I searched for "internet provider" in this forum and didn't run across anything very current. My first choice for internet service is FIOS. So today I called and talked to Verizon about their FIOS service. The lowest tier of service was $41 for 15mbs for internet only. They said that they are going to be phasing out FIOS TV service AND if I chose to go that route, there was a $500 set up fee. WHAT?!?? So they tried to sell me on a satellite package (not a big satellite fan) and quoted me $131 for receivers on 4 TVs + the 15mbs. Am I out of touch because that sounds outrageous to me. We haven't had a land line in forever and we don't plan to so we're not interested in a 3 way bundle.

Am I better off going with Comcast for a cable TV and internet plan? Should I stick with the Verizon FIOS internet and get my cable TV from Comcast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:13 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,777,981 times
I would recommend getting pricing from Comcast. That's what our family uses and we have a package of phone, multiple TVs and internet.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 PM

542 posts, read 1,482,507 times
Comcast is horrible. I know you said you're not a big satellite fan, but after a few years of much frustration with Comcast (both constant outages and horrible customer service over the phone and in person), when we switched to apartments, we got Direct TV. Best decision ever. You can get multiple receivers for next to nothing (call them up, they are always having deals; they want your business, so keep asking if that's the best they can do for you). NEVER had an outage with them and always great service. Stick with your internet preference (I used Qwest).

Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,777,981 times
I'm not singing the praises of Comcast. We had Direct TV years ago and really liked it. But Comcast internet is pretty reliable so far; I just recommended calling them for pricing.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 PM

542 posts, read 1,482,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm not singing the praises of Comcast. We had Direct TV years ago and really liked it. But Comcast internet is pretty reliable so far; I just recommended calling them for pricing.

Oh, sorry, I actually didn't even see your response post and wasn't responding to that. My post/response was directly from the OP's inquiry. Coincidence.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:33 PM

507 posts, read 1,672,565 times
My experience with Comcast is actually pretty good. I've got their cable internet and it's pretty fast. It only costs me $20 a month which is a fraction of the price that was quoted on their website. I gave them a call and asked for specials and they gave me this. So I recommend calling them before you order anything.

I only have the internet, i.e. no TV or phone, but I still get basic cable on my cable. I am splitting the signal between my modem and the TV. I have no idea why this is or if it is normal but I quite like it

Apart from that I've got Netflix which is $8 dollars a months and absolutely great. They don't have the newest movies but there is always something to watch and I can watch it whenever I want. I can't really understand why people spend hundreds of dollars on cable TV packages these days when you can get on-demand services like Netflix at very reasonable prices.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,804,326 times
We too are happy with the internet and phone service from Comcast, and even the cable TV. One bit of advice though, do not get a DVR from them. Buy a Tivo and get the Comcast cable card to insert. Not only are the Comcast DVRs terrible pieces of junk, but when you swap it for another one it's likely to have just been returned by someone else!

We have been through 6 of them since June and just ordered a Tivo
to be done with it.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,280,725 times
FIOS was recently taken over by a different company, Frontier Communications. In some markets they are raising rates so fast it seems as if they are trying to drive away their customers.

We have used Comcast for Internet and TV for several years and haven't found anything better. We depend on a fast Internet connection all day for work and rarely is there a problem.

Qwest has been advertising their Internet service in the Seattle papers with good intro prices.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM

138 posts, read 465,202 times
Thanks for all of your comments. I decided we should go with Comcast for the TV and Net package. IMO, there is no such thing as "good" customer service from any of the cable/phone/net companies. I put my big girl pants on any time I have to call and talk to them.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:17 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,861,413 times
Comcast customer service used to be ABYSMAL. Now it is fairly good for such a big company. My theory is that the reason they started calling their cable service Xfinity was to help spearhead their campaign to re-image Comcast as a customer-friendly company.

Unfortunately in my area (Greenwood) their product hasn't improved along with their customer service initiative. Our internet is wildly inconsistent and goes out about once a week, and our cable can go several days being completely dead. When I move I'm done with cable tv. Too much money, not HD (unless you pay an extra fee), and overall just a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area