Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 PM

66 posts, read 137,954 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Lincoln, Nebraska, and after I graduate high school next year, want to pursue a career in Information Technology, specifically Network Administration and/or Telecommunications.

Nebraska is NOT a technology state by any means. I've always wanted to move to Washington, mainly to get away from Nebraska, and love the Olympia/Lacey and Seattle areas. A college that really attracted me for the degree's it offers in IT, was South Puget Sound Community College. I would of course have to go out of state for this, but the tuition isn't too bad for out for out of state students like me. From there, I would continue pursue a bachelor's and/or masters degree in an IT/Communications field.

Does anybody have any feedback on this, or other college's in the Seattle area that might serve my needs, or insight as to if this plan is a good idea? Could be just a pipe dream, but I've always been told to never give up. At least I have a plan, most high school students don't think about college until the last minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,830 times
You might do a Google Search on which colleges have the best IT/Communications programs in the nation. It probably is not Lacy/Olympia by any means, if that's the field you want to get into.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 PM

It's a start. It probably beats Nebraska.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjvirchow View Post
I currently live in Lincoln, Nebraska, and after I graduate high school next year, want to pursue a career in Information Technology, specifically Network Administration and/or Telecommunications.

Nebraska is NOT a technology state by any means. I've always wanted to move to Washington, mainly to get away from Nebraska, and love the Olympia/Lacey and Seattle areas. A college that really attracted me for the degree's it offers in IT, was South Puget Sound Community College. I would of course have to go out of state for this, but the tuition isn't too bad for out for out of state students like me. From there, I would continue pursue a bachelor's and/or masters degree in an IT/Communications field.

Does anybody have any feedback on this, or other college's in the Seattle area that might serve my needs, or insight as to if this plan is a good idea? Could be just a pipe dream, but I've always been told to never give up. At least I have a plan, most high school students don't think about college until the last minute.
Sorry, don't really have anything to add since I don't know about that field. But why would it be a "pipe dream"? There a a lot of people who are doing what you're wanting to do.

All the colleges here offer courses/degrees for IT. If your grades are great, why not look into University of Washington itself? Your odds of acceptance is actually greater than a local student. UW also has satellite locations in Tacoma and Bothell which also offers those courses as well. We have many community colleges in the Puget Sound Region.

(Also, I noticed in the other thread you mentioned the C.O.L. being lower in Olympia... it is a little lower than Seattle, but Seattle offers more job opportunities.)

Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 PM

I said pipe dream, because I'm afraid that I won't be able to afford going out of state, or that I won't be able to find a job once I move to Washington, or something like that.

I wanted to move to the Olympia/Seattle area, mainly for the job opportunities, especially with not only my passion for technology, but also my passion for aviation, and aerospace.

Community College's here in Lincoln/Omaha are cheap, but only because the Lincoln and Omaha areas have very, VERY high taxes, especially on property tax and telecommunications tax (mainly mobile phones.)

In short, my main concern with going out of state from the start, is that I won't be able to afford it, be able to find a job, or be able to have a good source of income once I get to Washington. Nebraska's great for agriculture, but not for technology.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
There are tons of CC's in the Seattle area. You won't find a shortage of degree programs or classes to take. Most of the students who attend hold full or part time jobs.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 PM

I maybe thought the cost of living is more comparable to Lincoln in Olympia than Seattle. But one advantage to the Seattle area is that you don't necessarily need a car, a big plus in my book.

The only schools in Seattle I've looked at are Bates Technical College in Tacoma, and a couple community college's in Tacoma. So far South Puget Sound C.C. is the only one with an affordable out-of-state tuition.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
According to CD:

Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Lincoln: 85.8 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)

Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Olympia: 108.1 (more than average, U.S. average is 100)

You have other options... You could just move here, start working... take 6 credits or less in the meantime, while you wait out that 1 year residency mark. (If you take less than 6 credits, it's the same rate as a resident. Check with the CC.)

But stay away from Bates Technical Colleges, Bryman College, Everest... those kind of schools will always ********* over.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM

True, I could do that. I just have to be confident, and start saving of course, which I've been doing for about three years. I've mainly been saving for college, not a car, as having a car here, is also, quite expensive. I could always Amtrak up to Washington, and take public transit or walk whenever possible.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
Pierce College in Tacoma is also a community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area