Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

scirocco (sp?) maybe the remarks regarding Oakland should be moved to here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...me-thread.html

Old 08-08-2010, 11:12 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post

The weather does not bother me at all. It is the social situation.

I'm looking for a cooler climate with no snow.

I'm anti-social anyway, so should Seattle be on my short list ?

~

Old 08-08-2010, 02:57 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is not true. There are many areas of Oakland that are every bit as nice as Seattle, sometimes it even looks like it. Crime is NOT widespread in Oakland, it is concentrated in specific areas: Eastmont, Castlemont, West Oakland, Parts of North Oakland etc.

This negates your previous statement

Let me guess, if I ask if you've ever lived in Oakland, you're gonna say yes right?

Really? My mom works in downtown Oakland, never mentioned it.

Weak argument. In most dense urbanized areas, business take various precuations. San Diego is one of the "safest cities in America" but I can take you to some subway sandwich shops where you're served behind bullet-proof glass.

This your statement is irrelevant.

Mr. Fantastic is that you?

This almost negates your entire post.

Ok, I think I've responded enough. I'm not sure why you're not posting all this in the SF forum where it belongs but I will tell you that you are more than off base here.

Now, isn't this topic about leaving Seattle?
Try East Oakland.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,176 times
I live in Phoenix (Tempe, actually), and I'm SO ready to move. My husband, daughter and I are actually planning on moving up to the Seattle area next year. I've been in Phoenix for about 30 years, and I can't find much good to say about it anymore. It's so hot here and so crowded, and it's suffocating. I can't wait for our move northwest!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Oakland and Seattle both have really picturesque lakes...

Greenlake (Seattle)

Lake Merritt (Oakland)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/v63/1807821810/ (broken link)

Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Try East Oakland.
So you're not familiar with Oakland. East Oakland isn't just one area, it's a catch-all and the nice areas of Gulf Links and Montclair are part of the East Oakland catch-all.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineD. View Post
I live in Phoenix (Tempe, actually), and I'm SO ready to move. My husband, daughter and I are actually planning on moving up to the Seattle area next year. I've been in Phoenix for about 30 years, and I can't find much good to say about it anymore. It's so hot here and so crowded, and it's suffocating. I can't wait for our move northwest!
Seattle is one of the most beautiful cities anywhere. The change from Phoenix will be astonishing! If you want it cool but not too cold, it may be the place. Bare in mind, you're coming from the valley of the sun. Seattle is cool but it's also quite cloudy a good part of the year so be prepared. The best thing to do is visit there in the winter for a few days. Then ask yourself if you can handle that for months on end. Also, because it's so far north, winter days are quite short and the sun angle in winter is lower in the sky. This makes the overcast seem even darker as the sun light is weaker. There are some beautiful days here and there in winter as well and when those happen, the view of the snow capped mountains will take your breath away.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Having grown up across the bay from SF in cities most similar to Seattle and having spent time in SF and having visited Seattle, I'd have to agree with this for the most part. While I like to go to SF, I have never in my life wanted to live in that city. SF is also scary at night and crime is somewhat random meaning you could get caught up just for being there.

In this regard, Seattle certainly has SF beat and IMO is a much more livable city.
Yup..Its way more more bang for your buck to live in the East Bay or North Bay, And be able to go into the city (SF) for the weekends.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Yup..Its way more more bang for your buck to live in the East Bay or North Bay, And be able to go into the city (SF) for the weekends.
The traffic into the city is murder Always congested.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
I'm looking for a cooler climate with no snow.

I'm anti-social anyway, so should Seattle be on my short list ?

~
Same here anti-social. I don't need any neighbors nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area