Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:17 AM

38 posts, read 120,720 times

Advertisements

Mark S., I remember spiders in the Seattle area, really BIG ones. I swear that one time I heard one walking on my living room wall...(lol) aarrgghhh!
I never had a problem with bugs other than the spiders. I went hiking in the Cascades many times and, compared to NH, didn't find the number of mosquitoes troublesome.
I loved the summers out there, it was such a relief to leave the hot humid NH summers behind. To me 75 degrees in summer is perfect, who needs it to 95 and so hot you can't do anything? There is a cool humidity that pervades the rest of the year. Sometimes the overcast days bothered me but it seemed that the sun came out a lot in the late afternoon. When it did, you could see the mountains on all sides, the big R, across the Sound, etc. and it was worth it. On the whole, the weather there didn't bother me like it does some people. There are no perfect places. To me, other than summer, it seemed to be the same season the rest of the year, cool, in the 50's, partly cloudy...weather where you can throw a sweater on and go for a walk and be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 04:41 PM

61 posts, read 275,750 times
Cool, I love spiders!! However, isn't the hobo spider predominantly established in the PNW? I believe it is non-native (originally from Europe), first establishing around Seattle.

E.g. map from U of Washington:

More info:
http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/story.html

Old 09-11-2006, 05:27 PM

424 posts, read 2,697,423 times
Default Spiders!

You may want to consider No. CA if you like spiders. I just saw about a 4-inch tarantula on a walk a few days ago. We also have the indoor variety that actually make a "thud" sound if they drop to the floor!

But I would settle for spiders any day over the dreaded nightcrawlers

Old 09-12-2006, 10:52 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogamigo View Post
Cool, I love spiders!! However, isn't the hobo spider predominantly established in the PNW?
I wasn't aware of it, but it looks like you're right. Ugly little buggers. I've never seen one of those inside my house, but I have seen some who look a lot like that in sheds and woodpiles and such.

Northwestern Washington is definitely spider country. They're everywhere. We've given up keeping them out of the house. You just have to learn to live with them. We've NEVER been bitten though --- and I usually try to capture and release them rather than kill them.

Despite Washington's rainy reputation, it isn't nearly as humid as the eastern U.S. It's midmorning as I type this, and humidity is at 75%. But mid-afternoon, it'll probably be down to 40%, with clear, sunny skies.

The big detriment to living in Western Washington is the traffic (some of the worst in the nation), urban sprawl, and crime. The latter is what finally made us so fed up that we're leaving. Gangs are rampant. Our home was burglarized a few months ago. Friends of ours had their car broken into three times one summer. We've had drug deals and prostitution on our streets. And the police are losing the battle.

If you are wealthy enough to get into one of the REALLY nice neighborhoods, you can get away from the worst of the crime, but even that is no guarantee. We moved into what we thought was a fairly quiet, middle-class neighborhood, but we've had drug deals in front of our house, prostitutes servicing clients in the abandoned car across the street, gang fights, etc. Come summer, we're outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area