Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 PM

151 posts, read 548,400 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a place that we can have a small company holiday get-together that will consist of 7-8 people. The budget is $100 per person. The challenge is coming up with ideas, but most of all, finding something that everyone can agree on.

One person does not like water, so a dinner cruise it out. One is vegetarian, so we need to be sure we take that into consideration. We work in Bellevue and one person refuses to drive or go into Seattle, so that is out.

I faced the same difficulties last year. We ended up going to the Melting Pot, but for two people “we were there too long” and “we had to cook our own food”. What I have debated about doing this year is picking a place and saying, “We are going to have our holiday party at ____. I hope you all can make it.” I feel that everyone should be grateful that we are allowed to do this, but from the reactions and statements, it is obvious they are all not.

Ideally, I would like to find a place that we could eat, maybe have some sort of activity, during or after, and that everyone can agree on.

Hopefully you all can help come up with a few ideas I can pass along.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
This totally lacks imagination but you could go to Maggianos for dinner and bowling upstairs after.

They are excluding anything unique such as dinner on the Christmas boats or something at Snoqualmie (drive) so it sounds like they are saying Bellevue. What about Chateau St. Michelle?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 PM

I agree.

I think the Christmas Cruise would be fun, I may try to push that again this year.

We mentioned Chateau St. Michelle last year but it was out of our range. We did have an increase this year so it might work. The only issue with this is we are not supposed to include alcohol, and the name is a giveaway here. There are way around this though if the name was not so obvious.

We did bowling two summers ago for a bonding experience and celebration, as we just opened our location that year. It did not turn out very well...

Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Or Cantinetta. Sounds like people are busy and don't want an all night thing. A nice dinner would be great for everyone.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
They'd probably like it better if you spent the $100 per person on a gift card. I know for my family there are so many events going on over the holidays that the company party seems more like an obligation than something we look forward to.

Heck, just cater lunch in the office one day for about $50 a person and give them each a $50 gift card at QFC or Amazon or something.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy416 View Post
I am trying to find a place that we can have a small company holiday get-together that will consist of 7-8 people. The budget is $100 per person. The challenge is coming up with ideas, but most of all, finding something that everyone can agree on.

One person does not like water, so a dinner cruise it out. One is vegetarian, so we need to be sure we take that into consideration. We work in Bellevue and one person refuses to drive or go into Seattle, so that is out.

I faced the same difficulties last year. We ended up going to the Melting Pot, but for two people “we were there too long” and “we had to cook our own food”. What I have debated about doing this year is picking a place and saying, “We are going to have our holiday party at ____. I hope you all can make it.” I feel that everyone should be grateful that we are allowed to do this, but from the reactions and statements, it is obvious they are all not.

Ideally, I would like to find a place that we could eat, maybe have some sort of activity, during or after, and that everyone can agree on.

Hopefully you all can help come up with a few ideas I can pass along.

Thanks for your help.
It's exactly what you should say, "'We are going to have our holiday party at_______."'
And, here's one suggestion; The Wallingford Center on 45th has a large room that can be rented out for such occasions. There are resturants in the center or on 45th that would be delighted to cater your event. Seven or eight people might be too small though.
You might be better off trying Marie Callender up in Northgate. Great resturant, reasonably priced with a special Thanksgiving dinner. Their price will be way under $100 a person, -more like $20 a person.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM

I can understand being busy, but this only happens once a year for us. Also, nobody else has a child and half of the group is single. This should be something they look forward to and are excited about.

As you can imagine, I am a little frustrated.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
How about a cooking class followed by dinner? I've done this before but I can't remember the company they used. Non-competitive, just a joint activity then dinner.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
They'd probably like it better if you spent the $100 per person on a gift card. I know for my family there are so many events going on over the holidays that the company party seems more like an obligation than something we look forward to.

Heck, just cater lunch in the office one day for about $50 a person and give them each a $50 gift card at QFC or Amazon or something.
This is exactly what two asked for, a gift card. This comes from corporate, so I am not able to offer that. With this small of a group, (7-8 includes spouses and or a friend) we know each other pretty well. There are no other obligations, they just don't want to do it.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
How about a cooking class followed by dinner? I've done this before but I can't remember the company they used. Non-competitive, just a joint activity then dinner.
Good idea. Thanks. I will try to look some up. I am somewhat new to the area (amost three years now) so if you remember the place or if anyone knows of a good one, please share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area