Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times

Advertisements

I have the money in hand and can be there in 3 weeks...BUT I really would like to hear what the best and worst things about Seattle are. I know everything is subjective. Personally I hate where I am now and can't see why people love it as much as they do but to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
There are a lot of threads like that here already. I don't try to sell people on Seattle because 1) We have plenty of people here already 2) Seattle weather can be emotionally challenging for people that may not even know they will be affected by SAD. The overcast weather for extended months may not bother a person at first but after a year or two, they decide it's too much and leave. You may not know until you live it and the cost of moving is high. It's always a good idea to at minimum, visit in the winter months for a bit to see but again, it's something that may take time to affect you. Good luck in your decision!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I have the money in hand and can be there in 3 weeks...BUT I really would like to hear what the best and worst things about Seattle are. I know everything is subjective. Personally I hate where I am now and can't see why people love it as much as they do but to each their own.
Well, right now, !!!!SNOW!!!! and this morning 'ice storms'. You may not even get in and if you do, you better not go anyplace, BE WARNED !!! Most of us are stuck in our homes, your luck if there is electricity. Your even more lucky if you even have a home. God help the homeless.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 AM

24 posts, read 59,858 times
The city of Seattle itself is pretty good. My only complaint would be the people here.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 14,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I'm not sure if you made up your mind about Seattle yet, but I thought I would share my 2 cents .

Yes Seattle rains, that's why its green. Hence "Emerald City". Everyone knows it rains. If that is a factor for you then don't move here.

Seattle may be a drive, but a beautiful one, to the coast (Pacific Ocean), but we have over 150 San Juan islands to discover. Most of them are dryer through the year than the mainland. Where else can you go, pick a mass amount of berries, mushrooms, wild greens, watch whales, seals, catch beautiful fish, eat amazing dungeness crab, shrimp, and eat pacific oysters? Where can you visit the only rainforest in the United States? If I feel like thick forest and running creeks, I camp in Western WA. If I want dry terrain (desert) pine trees, an awesome variety of peaches, cherries, and apples I visit Eastern WA, where summers are amazing.

Where else in the United States can you live where you are 2 hours from another country, 2 hours from a major mountain range, 3 hours from the desert, and a couple hours from the coast?

I love Seattle. The people are so diverse. I have never had issues with people here. EVeryone has bad days, give them the benefit of the doubt. I've traveled all over the United States (just got back from NYC a few days ago.) We all put our pants on the same way, life is what you make it. Make it good. Choose to embrace what our beautiful city has to offer.

Oh and as for the food. WOW, The Northwest is such a health conscience group of people! We have AMAZING organic produce. Think outside the box. Pick your own blackberries and salmonberries next to the riverbed, then go catch a beautiful Salmon! Seattle and the surrounding cities fruit and berry stands everywhere for cheap! When summer is over enjoy all the organic greens, apples, corns, squash (delicata my favorite).

I know I talk a lot about food, but that makes me happy lol. There are an array of things to enjoy here, people will always say how depressed Seattlites are, but honestly I haven't really experienced too much of that, and I've lived here all my life.

Born and raised here love it.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeronBeach View Post
Where else in the United States can you live where you are 2 hours from another country, 2 hours from a major mountain range, 3 hours from the desert, and a couple hours from the coast?
Well, now... don't forget about the rain forest!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleGuy98121 View Post
The city of Seattle itself is pretty good. My only complaint would be the people here.
####!!!! HEY, !!!!!!! I resent that !!!!!####

Old 01-20-2012, 05:30 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Quote:
Where can you visit the only rainforest in the United States?
Just needed to correct that to the "continental United States" - both Hawaii and Alaska have rainforests remember!

Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Just needed to correct that to the "continental United States" - both Hawaii and Alaska have rainforests remember!
Well, but Seattle is different in the sense that neither Hawaii/Alaska can brag about the 2-3 hour accessiblity to desert, rainforest, mountain ranges, another country and with additional time the coastline all in one?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:

Actually, two hours from one mountain range, 90 minutes from another.

The best for me is a combination of the above and the natural beauty.

The worst is the city government.

Last edited by Count David; 01-21-2012 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: fixed quoting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area