Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 PM

11 posts, read 15,764 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about moving to Seattle for a while from Minneapolis. I have started applying for jobs recently there, but I'm not sure I will have a chance to get hired since I'm based in mpls. I work in HR and I know with our organization we really only recruit or hire people out of the area for mid-management and up. I'm more of an entry level-mid range HR professional. I do have a decent amount in savings and could move there without a job, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. Any thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM

84 posts, read 245,780 times
I've moved around a lot and the West Coast is the best no matter where you are from. It's an easy town to find opportunities. If you are single, just save up some money and find a friend to stay with or just get an apt. and make it happen. Shouldn't take you more than a month to find a job. I say go for it! I risked it all a few time and even moved to LA. Nothing is impossible. It just makes it harder if you have kids to worry about.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Agreed. I'm doing this in April as I can't wait any longer. I'm moving from Texas, so even further away! I've gotten some callbacks and phone interviews for jobs, but that's about as far as it goes. I figure if there's interest in me while i'm out of state, there'll be interest in me when I'm local. I'll also be enrolling in a graduate certificate program in the autumn at UW whether I have a job by then or not. As long as you plan it out, save enough and do your research, there's no reason not to do it if you are single!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 AM

84 posts, read 170,661 times
Default Also moving to seattle

I'm leaving northern virginia for seattle in september 2012. i've done a lot of research and it just seems like a better fit for me. i'm not one to be effected by the rain so i don't think that'll bother me. if you're young and don't have children, now is the time to do it. i'm leaving a lot behind but i feel like i'll get a lot more out of it by trying than just staying here and being miserable without any idea of what could be as opposed to what already is.

Last edited by hubey21; 02-14-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
I was hired over the phone while in Savannah, GA last year for job with a local Boeing supplier running a CNC machine. I secured a place to live here, sold off the majority of my belongings and drove across the country with a car full of clothes, electronics and $2500. After being unemployed a year I rolled the dice... I did not get paid to relocate. It was "make the job work or bust"...

Here we are 9 months later and it's worked out better than I can imagine. After 4 months as a temp I was hired on permanent in October... benefits include 3 weeks of vacation, a week of sick time, monthly bonuses and year end profit sharing. Much better than a $330 weekly max Georgia unemployment check.

P.S. I'm currently in Georgia now for the week visiting family and friends... my first of 3 vacation weeks this year. I left everyone behind when I moved out here last year, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Living on unemployment isn't fun.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 AM

620 posts, read 1,300,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubey21 View Post
I'm leaving northern virginia for seattle in september 2012. i've done a lot of research and it just seems like a better fit for me. i'm not one to be effected by the rain so i don't think that'll bother me. if you're young and don't have children, now is the time to do it. i'm leaving a lot behind but i feel like i'll get a lot more out of it by trying than just staying here and being miserable without any idea of what could be as opposed to what already is.
The whole "it rains a lot in Seattle" is rather misunderstood. It rains more in Illinois than Seattle by inches. What gives people the misconception about the constant rain is that in Illinois, you pretty much experience most of the rainfall in spring. Sometimes you get summer storms but it is usually in the spring when you get those huge thunderstorms that just rain buckets of rain for a few hours and then stops. In comparison, in the time that I lived in Seattle, I only remember two true rainstorms that included thunder and lightening. Otherwise, the rain situation is that it remains a rainy season much longer here than in Illinois. In Illinois, it is sudden and powerful. In Seattle, it is misty and disbursed throughout the day. It is just a light drizzle, I would say. It was the darn wind that had my hair standing up.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
The whole "it rains a lot in Seattle" is rather misunderstood. It rains more in Illinois than Seattle by inches.

In Seattle, it is misty and disbursed throughout the day. It is just a light drizzle, I would say.
Yep... that's pretty much it. Sure it's cloudy a lot in the winter but it's not raining every day and when it does it's just a mist or light drizzle.

Nothing compared to the heavy thunderstorms I experienced while a Georgia resident... and it rains more in Georgia too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area