Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM

494 posts, read 1,611,149 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of possibly having my company relocate me to Seattle. Nothing is final, but I'm crossing my fingers that it happens. So I need some neighborhood advice just to be prepared if it does happen!

About me:
I'm 25, black male, bi, and born and raised and Louisiana!

Now about what... This job will be paying me 40-42k a year, and I'm looking to spend maybe no more that 1500 on rent max. So far I've looked into Ballard, Capital Hill, Fremont, West Seattle, and First Hill. As I've practically lived in a surburb all my life, I kinda do not want to rent an apartment in another suburb or a neighborhood that is too family oriented. Having said that, I know downtowns apartment are kinda pricey, so they aren't really an option for me. This neighborhood has to have at least other young professionals there. Diversity is the other big factor for me. I love meeting people from different backgrounds and what not, and one of the big reasons why Seattle was on the top of my list to relocate too. Lastly, shopping and entertainment. It's not a requirement that I'll be within walking distance, but a short drive is good.

Nitpicks, but not necessary!
Closer by Target the better.
If you can recommend a place or area that Comcast doesn't touch, even better! (I know this is pushing it, but thought I'd give it a shot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,887,847 times
Why close to Target? Is that where you work? Targets tend to be in suburbia, so that kinda negates your desire to be in town. If it's for shopping, we have better local options. For example, Fred Meyer in Ballard has everything anyone would ever want.

And, there are Comcast options, though I've never had anything but stellar service with Comcast here in Seattle.

Then, the diversity desire. You'll find far more diversity in South Seattle than the neighborhhods you are looking at. Maybe check out Columbia City.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM

494 posts, read 1,611,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Why close to Target? Is that where you work? Targets tend to be in suburbia, so that kinda negates your desire to be in town. If it's for shopping, we have better local options. For example, Fred Meyer in Ballard has everything anyone would ever want.

And, there are Comcast options, though I've never had anything but stellar service with Comcast here in Seattle.

Then, the diversity desire. You'll find far more diversity in South Seattle than the neighborhhods you are looking at. Maybe check out Columbia City.
Target is where I have my prescriptions atm and it would be easier to just transfer them over then to find a new pharmacy (for convenience more than anything), and yea, it's where I currently shop for groceries where I'm at, but it's really not a necessity. I can work around it if necessary and probably will have to.

I'm a gamer too so the 250GB cap on internet is what concerns me the most more than anything with Comcast. I know Verizon Fios was bought our by Frontier in some areas, how have people's experience been with that? But again, I'm willing to go with Comcast if it means living where I want to live.

I'll do some research on Colombia city.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Target is at 2nd and Pine in Downtown Seattle, and also at Northgate. That gives you decent access from Capital Hill and Belltown, lower Queen Anne, Maple Leaf (which you'd find too suburban) and of course, Northgate. I think you'd like Ballard. You would have to drive
or take the bus to Target but everything else you could walk to if close to 15th & Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area