Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM

57 posts, read 119,790 times

Advertisements

You guys have all been of great help so I'm asking for just a little more.

My hubby is going to work in South Lake Union. I have the opportunity to work in either Lynnwood or Edmonds. I don't know which yet but I will know before we move (I hope)

So what is the commute going to be for my husband from Lynnwood and what is the commute from Edmonds? Finally if I work in either of those locations and he works is SLU where would be a middle ground to live so we are about half way as far as commute times?

Public transportation would be great if available.

Thanks again,
Cassy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
The commute from S. Lake Union is about the same to Lynnwood or Edmonds. The only exception might be if there was a big problem on I-5, then a move over to Highway 99 would be advised, especially if your destination is Edmonds. There are only two north-south routes out of Seattle to the north suburbs, and they are I-5 and Highway 99. Knowing when to take which is somewhat a science, but the local traffic reports usually give good information. EDIT: 522 through Lake City could also be a route out of the city, but it heads NE into Bothell and Monroe.

Last edited by pw72; 03-12-2012 at 10:30 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
You don't necessarily have to live halway between S, Lake Union and Lynnwood/Edmonds, do you?
Because Edmonds is a really delightful, pretty little town with all the services/restaurants/shops you'll need, and you'd just get a nicer, better house than what you'd find halfway for the same price.
But if you felt that you had to, that it would only be fair, that it could prevent resentment, then North Seattle, in it's various neighborhoods, would be the only choice. Ballard, Greenwood, and Phinney are all nice but kinda pricey. Broadview is a little less nice and a little less pricey. Lake Forest Park could work, or a little further south in Cedar Park/Cedar Heights. That's very close to Lake City, which is not the most wonderful neighborhood, but Cedar Park is a little oasis of niceness just blocks away from Lake City's used car lots and strip clubs.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM

50 posts, read 209,442 times
Your husband's commute will be about the same from Edmonds or Lynnwood. They're neighboring cities and both have easy access to I-5. Working in the south Lake Union area doesn't sound like it would make commuter bus or train use very feasible as they don't really service that neighborhood, but worst case, he would take the commuter bus/train and get a surface street bus in Seattle that heads north to Lake Union. It'll save tons of money in gas as well as stress in traffic. NB traffic on I-5 during rush hour can be horrific.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Community Transit has a commute hour bus from the Edmonds Park and Ride into DT Seattle which has a stop at Minor and Stewart, about a 5 or 6 block walk from Amazon. It's Community Transit Route 405, and is only about a 25 minute ride. Unfortunately, there's only a few of them per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area