Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 PM

26 posts, read 105,188 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll know in a few weeks whether I'll be relocating my family to Seattle for a new job with Amazon, and had a few questions:

1. How hilly is the city (particularly Magnolia) for biking to the office?

2. Is it legal to bike over Route 5 from, say, Fremont, Phinney, Wallingford, or the University District? Are Aurora and/or the University Bridge friendlier options?

3. Will rain interfere much with a biking commute? I've heard the total rainfall isn't so bad, but there are just a lot of misty drizzles, which seem bikeable.

4. Is Seattle a biking-friendly city in general?

5. Neighborhood-wise, I was considering Queen Anne, Magnolia, or even South Lake Union, which all appear close to Amazon Headquarters. Or, depending on the answers to the biking questions above, some of the neighborhoods on the north side of the bridge, up as far as Green Lake (I guess up to 90th or so?). I've heard the school situation is fluid, in that you don't necessarily go to school in the area you live, and that there can be waiting lists for the good schools even if you're in the district. My older son won't be starting elementary school til the fall of 2013, but it's something worth planning for. We're a young family, with 4-year-old and 2-year-old boys, and would love to live somewhere extremely walkable, with restaurants, little shops, parks and playgrounds nearby. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,885,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWay View Post
1. How hilly is the city (particularly Magnolia) for biking to the office?

Well, Seattle is one of the hilliest metros in the US (up there with SF and Pittsburgh)... definitely hills upon hills. If you're focusing on Magnolia, then you're using Elliot Ave, which won't be so bad, but definitely some hills to contend with here and there.

2. Is it legal to bike over Route 5 from, say, Fremont, Phinney, Wallingford, or the University District? Are Aurora and/or the University Bridge friendlier options?

I'm not sure what "Route 5" is... are you talking about i5? No, you can't bike on i5, but at the same time why would you use i5 if you're coming from Fremont, Phinney Ridge, Wallingford, U-District? (It would be more of an inconvenience to use i5 from these areas.) I haven't really seen bikers on Aurora bridge too often (not really safe, given how narrow the lanes are and reckless people can be), but have seen on University bridge and the 15th Ave bridge.

3. Will rain interfere much with a biking commute? I've heard the total rainfall isn't so bad, but there are just a lot of misty drizzles, which seem bikeable.

For those days where it is raining hard, our buses have bike racks if you decide you don't want to stick it out.

4. Is Seattle a biking-friendly city in general?

Yes, we have lots of bike lanes with plans for more. Our ... mayor... supports such designs.

5. Neighborhood-wise, I was considering Queen Anne, Magnolia, or even South Lake Union, which all appear close to Amazon Headquarters. Or, depending on the answers to the biking questions above, some of the neighborhoods on the north side of the bridge, up as far as Green Lake (I guess up to 90th or so?). I've heard the school situation is fluid, in that you don't necessarily go to school in the area you live, and that there can be waiting lists for the good schools even if you're in the district. My older son won't be starting elementary school til the fall of 2013, but it's something worth planning for. We're a young family, with 4-year-old and 2-year-old boys, and would love to live somewhere extremely walkable, with restaurants, little shops, parks and playgrounds nearby. Thoughts?

Well, if you're aiming for North Seattle, you wouldn't have to worry about the schools anyways. All of the Seattle Public schools up there are pretty good. You're looking in the right direction. Also be sure to include Ravenna (which however be more quiet, but definitely close to the action).

Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the thorough reply!

Yes, I meant Interstate 5. We call highways "routes" out this way Just looking at the map makes it seem as though that would be closest coming from the UW area.

Yup, Ravenna was on the list, too. I'll be flying out for my in-person interview soon, and will hopefully have time to check out a bunch of neighborhoods while I'm there.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM

507 posts, read 1,670,063 times
There's bike storage, showers and lockers at all the new Amazon buildings in SLU, so you're covered in that respect. The rain will never make biking impossible, you should just be comfortable with biking in the wet and dress accordingly.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,885,759 times
Quote:
Yes, I meant Interstate 5. We call highways "routes" out this way Just looking at the map makes it seem as though that would be closest coming from the UW area.
Ah... well when you see i5 in person, you'll see its not so convenient.

Use the Google street view to get an idea. Pinpoint yourself on Eastlake Ave E and E. Allison St-- that big concrete thing up in the sky is i5 (that's pretty the view you'll have when you are in Wallingford, south of 40th st). i5 is pretty much "walled" away from DT Seattle. Using the other bridges would be better and definitely safer.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 PM

Thanks SitoUK, that's great to know! So I can actually keep work clothes at work where they belong

And thanks again Inkpoe. Yeah, that doesn't look very bike-friendly

Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,887,583 times
Biking is easy in Seattle. If coming from the U District, look into the Burke-Gilman trail. Once on the trail, take the University Bridge, go down Eastlake and you're in SLU. The rain is not a real deterrent to bike commuting. The big deterrent for me is the very short days in the winter. I don't like biking in the dark.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:26 PM

507 posts, read 1,670,063 times
Quote:
Thanks SitoUK, that's great to know! So I can actually keep work clothes at work where they belong

And thanks again Inkpoe. Yeah, that doesn't look very bike-friendly
Well, yeah, I think the lockers are only for day use, so you're supposed to empty them in the evening but I guess you can still keep your clothes at your desk :-)

Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,379,756 times
Your kid's school will be based on your address, and with the current reactive management of the school district your assignment could potentially change even if you don't move. The boundaries for the very popular Stanford elementary school are changing this year, for example. There are a few elementary schools in the north end that are not very good - Olympic Hills and Northgate, for example. Just be careful where you land and check the Seattle Schools website to see what school you'd be assigned to for a given address.

You can still get into one of the alternative schools, but those tend to have long waiting lists and it may not be worth the gamble to choose to live near a poorer school hoping to make it into the alternative school you really want to get into.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 PM

764 posts, read 1,658,677 times
How about Montlake? I lived there and went "around the hill" to work on Lake Union - Boyer to Eastlake to Fairview Ave. I had co-workers who rode in from West Seattle and a few from Green Lake. Where there's a will, there's a way. Im not sure if it's in the same price range as Magnolia as I was only renting. Also, over there you would be close to the arboretum and across the bridge from the Burke Gilman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: