Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pittsburgh single mom thinking of taking son to Seattle for summer vacation; looking for activities for children, Space needle, quality of public transportation, must see attractions

Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 PM

325 posts, read 1,078,738 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of where I might go for my summer vacation next year and I came across Seattle. It seems like a very cool place to visit with lots of things to do for kids. I am a single mom of a soon to be 5 year old. What things would you recommend as must see attractions? (Other than the Space Needle of course!!!) Also is it really worth it to have lunch in that Space Needle restaurant? I heard the prices were outrageous.

Can the city be navigated without a car? I dont like driving in unfamiliar areas. How is the public transportation and or taxi service? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 AM

534 posts, read 3,115,031 times
definitely plan on renting a car - public transportion is mostly buses and you'll spend way too much time getting from place to place on them.

A good option for site seeing is the Seattle city pass. I always get those for friends/family who come to visit.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,070,371 times
I don't think it would be worth dining at the Space Needle with a 5 year old if it's just the two of you. I'd go up and spend some time on the observation deck taking in the views though. I've had some romantic dinners at the Needle. You're right that it is overpriced as far as the food goes but the view is obviously unbeatable.

I'd also plan on spending lots of time on the Center grounds taking in all the activities.

Another must see for a 5 year old is the Chittenden Locks (aka: Government Locks or the Ballard Locks).

A walk-on round trip ferry ride to Bremerton (or even Winslow/Bainbridge) is also might be something you might consider.

You can get around Seattle proper on public transportation just fine if you really find driving in a strange city too difficult. Just do some homework in advance on how the transit system works and familiarize yourself a bit on the routes, fares procedures, etc. before starting out. Let me know if you need help with that.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,268,801 times
Yes the Space Needle grounds have a variety of great things for a 5 year old.
The Pacific Science Center, the Childrens Museum and also a ride on the monorail. Also as tacky as it is there is a carnival like area at the center with old rides like a ferris wheel and some other smaller rides for kids. After that hop on the monorail and ride downtown to Westlake Plaza for lunch or dinner. I recommend skipping the food court at Westlake and heading over to Nordstrom's flagship store to either the Cafe Bistro or the Grill. The food is great and both have an excellent kids menu plus they'll give your kid crayons and a coloring sheet. I go there all the time and kids love it. Another great place would be our Central Library located at 4th and Spring. I see kids in there all the time.
Other great places for kids:
Green Lake and the Woodland Park Zoo
Pike Place Market
The top of the 76 story Columbia Center - Breathtaking views (4th and Columbia downtown)
Any one of the many beaches around the city including Alki, Golden Gardens, Madison Park.
Snoqualmie Falls which is about 20 miles east of Seattle.
Kerry Park on Queen Ann Hill - The most spectacular view of the city

Just a few things. Its late and I'll think of other things tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area