Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 AM

23 posts, read 75,364 times

Advertisements

I am a single guy in my late 20's who just graduated with a second Bachelor's in high school English Education (first was in PR/Marketing). I'm considering a move out of Champaign, IL, and have Austin, Seattle, Portland, and Raleigh on my list. June 1st, I'm flying to Austin for a week, then I'm flying to Seattle and checking out the Pac NW. I've been to Raleigh in the last year. I have friends and/or relatives in each of the places, except for Raleigh, where I would know no one outside of Atlanta, GA.

I want to get a good feel for these places, and am looking for suggestions for places to check out when I make my visit. What would make Seattle a good choice for a young Midwesterner looking for a change? How is the market for education jobs? Craigslist has been no help for the latter, and it's hard to get any sort of feel for where to live just based on price alone. I'm looking to meet someone, as well, and am curious to the prospects of singles in the area. Looking forward to your repsonses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
Just as a person who relocated here - and this is my opinion only - but you are coming during the prettiest time of year in Seattle.

You will love it. period

If you want a "feel" for Seattle visit in January, that will give you the better "feel"

Old 05-19-2008, 11:03 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
The market for education jobs is pretty competitive, mainly because a lot of people want to live here.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM

23 posts, read 75,364 times
Default Not concerned about the winter...

When it's dreary with negative wind chills and snow for four months (like where I'm from in IL), or dreary and near 50, I'll take the latter every time. ;-) The amounts of snow we get up here and the sub freezing temps are equally crippling to one's psyche, hence all the places I'm considering will prove to be an improvement over my present climate. Anyone who lives in central or northern IL knows this to be true!

That, and the scenery around here is, well, limited. There are pockets of great stuff, but it's really a whole lot of farmland. The skies can be pretty awesome, but... really... you can't hike a sky or do anything remotely interesting in the cornfields. Champaign, however, is probably one of the coolest small citites in IL, and definitely a piece of cake to get around. It just feels a bit too small to me anymore, though. The locals are pretty milquetoast outside of the music/art scene, and the singles scene is pretty blah. Great bars, but that's no reason to stay anywhere. A very nice place to settle down, but I've been around here (and Bloomington, IL) for around 10 years. Unless your married or heading that way, this place is a bit rough. This is a stopping point for a lot of people, not a destination.

Are there any areas that I should be looking to familiarize myself with during my stay? Places that would be integral to a life here?

Old 05-19-2008, 01:48 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova9 View Post
... have Austin, Seattle, Portland, and Raleigh on my list. June 1st, I'm flying to Austin for a week, then I'm flying to Seattle and checking out the Pac NW.

How is the market for education jobs? Craigslist has been no help for the latter, and it's hard to get any sort of feel for where to live just based on price alone. I'm looking to meet someone, as well, and am curious to the prospects of singles in the area.
I'm in Austin. The singles game and stuff to do is mega. Weather is hot in the summer, mild in the winter...sometimes humid all year round. If you don't like heat (like me), you may not like it here. I've always said that Austin would be the perfect place if I could just pick up the whole city and move it north - somewhere in the Rockies or Sierras or Cascades.

Regarding jobs...Austin is a hard market to bust into. This is very much a "who you know" town. I took a few years of working jobs that were below my previous management level and salary before getting back up to par. PR/Marketing is especially difficult (I've done those jobs here), and you need to be ok with doing a sales-type job because that's what you may end up with. It will take you some time to network and work through a few jobs before people will recommend you for something. That's mine and my husband's experience, however, people tough through the lower pay for a few years because they like it so much here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area