Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,122 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving to the Seattle area without a job, since I can't seem to land one from my current location in the South. I would work for my current employer for about a month after my relocation, leaving me that time to find a job, preferably a nice full-time gig. Does anyone know if freelance and full-time design jobs are in high demand in Seattle? I'm afraid of moving there and not finding any work.

It might help to know that I have ten years print design experience, one year of web experience, and several awards. My strength is probably logos/identities. I have a BA in English, not a BFA in design, which sometimes affects my chances. My dream would be to work for a museum or college, but I know those jobs are in high demand. I'd like a decent, respectable full-time job that pays at least $53,000.

What are my chances? Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 AM

137 posts, read 614,998 times
I'd love to see an answer to this too if anyone has any info to share.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:41 PM

26 posts, read 155,341 times
I would say find as many headhunters you can before moving here and try to find a job first. There is a boom here but it is mostly low wage jobs. Do a search in the SeattleTimes news paper for an article describing our boom. You will find it is not as it is described by the nedia. I have two degreees and 20 years of IT and am still struggling to finds a decent gig. You have to know someone in this town to get a "good" job.

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-25-2007 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: trying to rest the "seattle freeze" discussions for awhile and it's off topic for this thread. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:16 PM

92 posts, read 473,487 times
Unfortunately the best jobs are never in the paper. You either have a recruiter find it for you ,or you have really connected with people in your industry. I have a sister in-law who is a desginer and still makes crappy pay, and I mean like 30k. Her boyfriend is an industrial designer and it's taken him a very long time to find a job. He does have a good one (job security) but not a great salary. He is very good and has a masters.

Try some recuiters!

Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,122 times
Thanks for the advice! I'm working with a recruiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: