Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times

Advertisements

i though he said "I'd rather not commute all the way to Seattle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 AM

561 posts, read 1,180,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbear View Post
Good advice, so it might be worth moving very near Seattle to expand my job opportunities but is the job outlook far more bleaker in the smaller cities in general or only in comparison to a large city like Seattle? I'd rather have a small town feel but I could settle for a larger area like Tacoma or Kent if there were more jobs to be had.
I think that's probably the situation you'll be in. Unfortunately for you, you seem to want what so many others want: An easy-going, small (or small-ish) area with decent job opportunities. Unless your jobs skills are highly practical, decent jobs in small areas are very difficult to come by: Having experience in data entry, customer service, delivery, and some cursory law experience probably won't help much - not to insult you or anything, I'm just being real. In smaller areas you'll probably be limited to low wage retail-type jobs. In this economy you might even have difficulty finding a decent job in Seattle.

I think you might be on the right track looking at places like Tacoma and Olympia, but a couple things to consider: 1) Tacoma traffic is almost as bad as Seattle - at least during rush hour. 2) Most decent jobs in Olympia are in state government: Since there are significant budget issue, and Olympia's population is well-educated, finding a decent job there will likely be very difficult.

Sorry to be such downer, but unfortunately there are no easy answers for what you seek. I wish you good luck though.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
If you were in a place like Kent, you could work in Kent, or Renton, or Seattle. There are a lot of warehouses in Kent, so maybe there would be jobs related to that. I'm not sure I'd want to live in DT Kent, but it does have it's old downtown charm, with a great breakfast place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area