Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubey21 View Post
So far, I'm glad I made the move. I'll do another update in six months when I've had a chance to experience the full gray, rainy season everyone complains about. One thing to definitely note is that a lot of these houses were built 40-50 years ago and because of the climate at the time, were not built with air conditioning. My current residence has no A/C but I do have heating and a fan makes up for it, plus it's cheaper anyway for those looking at houses or apartments.

Hope this is helpful to anyone hoping to move here.
Residential A/C started to become a standard (as it became more popular and affordable) in the 50's... but even now, the climate here doesn't really require A/C. We only have a couple days where it gets "unbearably" hot. I *think* most houses now are still being built without A/C... and that it's an option that people can choose to have at an additional price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
I'd sure like to know where that subway near your house is ... are you talking about the light rail that might be running in four to five years?
maybe he meant the place where jared buys his sandwiches.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
maybe he meant the place where jared buys his sandwiches.
Didn't think of that ... guess these youngsters have different ideas of what it's great to live close to.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 PM

84 posts, read 170,670 times
Haha I guess I should've clarified. The subway I'm talking about is the restaurant not a train. The light rail to UW is under construction. I walked past it when I was going to University Village. I will post pictures tomorrow after 2 more interviews (ugh. It's getting tiring. I just want to work lol). I had an interview at 1pm with then county today and it was located in Renton which is 15ish miles south. 20 minutes there (left at noon) and 20 minutes back home (left around 2:15). If anyone smokes hookah there's a hookah bar I frequent 2 blocks away from where I live.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewed View Post
Hey! I'm considering a move from Texas whenever I graduate Nursing school in May. I would LOVE to see the pictures of the mountain and lake views that you're talking about. Please do share if you find the time, or have a camera!
If I have time next week to deal with google+ and downloading my pictures i'll get them up. This weekend I'm really busy. My girlfriend is visiting and my cousin is being flown out for a follow up interview with Microsoft so I doubt I'll even be near a computer until they both leave.

For those interested, I'll just report that I've been here a month and within two weeks was hired with a global corporation with well above average (compared to Virginia) pay with the normal round of benefits and I only have a high school diploma with experience in printing, which I guess is a somewhat skilled trade field. I live in Seattle and work in Bellevue. I have a car but have opted for the bus because the company is paying for it. I'm a quarter mile from the bus stop near my house and I get dropped off at the front door of my building (the main transit center in Bellevue is right there).

Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,063 times
LOL Coeur d'Alene is the HQ of the Nazi Party in this part of the country.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,893 times
Thanks for your impressions. I grew up in Maryland as well and it was interesting to hear how things have changed. I am contemplating Seattle in my future as well and you bring up a lot of nice points.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 AM

298 posts, read 303,657 times
Congrats on getting employed! We have family in WA state and they love it. We used to live in Or and loved it there too. I love Seattle and yes it is very walkable and to have a car in the city would be expensive as all the parking fees! Yah, I was laughing at the Subway post i have to laugh at the posts on the traffic too. Been to DC and NY and now live down south and that is a traffic nightmare! Seattle not so bad compared to those areas. In Queens area they have a really nice health food store. Forgot the name but it is just down the street from the Queen Anne hotel on the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubey21 View Post
If I have time next week to deal with google+ and downloading my pictures i'll get them up. This weekend I'm really busy. My girlfriend is visiting and my cousin is being flown out for a follow up interview with Microsoft so I doubt I'll even be near a computer until they both leave.

For those interested, I'll just report that I've been here a month and within two weeks was hired with a global corporation with well above average (compared to Virginia) pay with the normal round of benefits and I only have a high school diploma with experience in printing, which I guess is a somewhat skilled trade field. I live in Seattle and work in Bellevue. I have a car but have opted for the bus because the company is paying for it. I'm a quarter mile from the bus stop near my house and I get dropped off at the front door of my building (the main transit center in Bellevue is right there).

Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Default 3 Months Since move from D.C.

I will have pictures up eventually...but anyway, it's been a fun three months. I've made a few friends and have played a lot of pool at the College Pub Inn on Roosevelt in the last month (50 cents for pool, $6 for jack and coke. A bad combination for my wallet).

My gf is moving here from D.C. in May and I'm moving out of the U-District to a studio apartment in Kirkland (north of Bellevue where I work). My commute won't change but it's 5 minute less walk to the bus stop (current walk is 10 minutes).

Downtown Kirkland is a fun area. Lots of small businesses and restaurants. From where I live, Lake Washington will be a 10 minute walk (the dog will love it when he gets here, a corgi/border collie mix). There are tennis courts, parks, basketball courts and the marina at the lake. You can see beautiful views of the mountains (which I'll post pictures of).

All I read when I was researching before I moved is how bad the winters are. Though it's only the first winter and the climate is constantly changing, the worst month as far as cloudiness/rainyness was November. Since then, the temperature has held steady between 40 and 45 at the high and just above 32 at the low. This Saturday 1/19 it's supposed hit 50, and the same thing 3 days later on Tuesday. There hasn't been ANY rain in the last 2 weeks but we're due for some starting next wednesday and then it's right back to partly cloudy again next friday.

Let me just say this now the seattle freeze DOES NOT EXIST. In comparison to D.C., people here are much more friendly. The seattle freeze stems from a population boom because of northern californians moving up here which made the seattle people of the time mad (increase in property costs, taxes went up, more traffic etc). I have a friend whom I've met others through and they're all really nice, intelligent, friendly, outgoing people (even when they're drunk. Big plus).

When my gf visited for Christmas we took a day trip to Vancouver. It was freezing cold that day but Vancouver is gorgeous (and giant compared to Seattle). Still haven't gone down to Portland yet but my friend keeps talking about seeing the Trailblazers, so it'll happen soon.

The Sacramento Kings should become the Seattle Supersonics by the start of the '13-'14 season and a hockey team should follow. The hockey team is what will most likely keep my gf from wanting to move so I'm definitely planning for the long haul.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
I'd sure like to know where that subway near your house is ... are you talking about the light rail that might be running in four to five years?
I'd like to know how to get 40 miles out of DC and still be in fairfax county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area