Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 02:23 PM

30 posts, read 26,463 times

Advertisements

As the topic states my friend and I will be moving to Seattle next week Monday and will be staying in Ballard for a few weeks until we can set our own place up. However I was wondering in the mean time what are some things I should get ready for our big move? Both of us plan not to drive so we will be relying on public transportation so should we order a bus pass before we arrive to Seattle or just pick one up after we arrive? Pretty much I am looking for any advice or tips anyone may have if they have been in a similar situation.

Also we are flying in from OHIO so you can only imagine how excited we are to leave that state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
I too am excited every time I leave Ohio. Last time was from Bowling Green, April 2011. Not my favorite part of the country, either.

Just kind of flying in and crashing in someone's place in Ballard a few weeks, huh? Agreed, that is exciting. Hope it all goes well (getting settled).

Bus passes (monthly) are available easily, no need to pre-plan unless you have a good idea of the transportation rhythms already and are a good organizer. Personally, I'd do-so on the ground first couple days assuming that was my primary mode of transport.

Be ready for rain, it has started in-earnest. Seems to happen most years like clockwork last week or so of October, and when the time changes this Sunday (11/4, end of Daylight Saving Time) it will be darker earlier in the day. Just seems a bit dreary to me until about the following May, but what can you do: it's home. I personally have indoor and outdoor activities for the different seasons and winter will be a good excuse to take up guitar.

I'd bring walking shoes and wander the streets to get a feel for what is going on. Guess you'll definitely be doing that.

I think a North Face jacket should be issued by-defaulted to every incoming person in greater Seattle (smile).

Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM

I graduated from Kent University with a degree in Business Management/Operations so while I am down there I will be spending a majority of my time (pretty much all) looking for a job. I plan to send out my resume all over the place with the new address over the next few days to get a head start and I am hoping to find something soon. I've been planning this for a while now and I am just curious on what the people of Seattle recommend doing when I fly in. xD

Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Get a local drivers license, local checking account, PO box, all the things that would support your having moved here.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Get a local drivers license, local checking account, PO box, all the things that would support your having moved here.
I had already found a bank in Seattle so my account has been moved so that is not a problem however I am not sure what to do about the drivers license. The place I will be staying is not going to be my permanent address however is there a way to obtain a temporary one?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM

You can get the drivers license with that address and change the address when you settle somewhere else. They give you a temporary and mail you the permanent so you have to be at the place they mail it to to receive it.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
You can get the drivers license with that address and change the address when you settle somewhere else. They give you a temporary and mail you the permanent so you have to be at the place they mail it to to receive it.
That works out well; I've done a lot of research on the area and have been to Seattle a few times so I have an idea on what to expect however would you offer any advice/tips on what to do when I arrive? As stated above I plan to be sending my resumes before I move out there and with a Seattle address I hope to have a higher chance of finding something then an Ohio address. Once I am fully out there I will be spending every waking moment on starting a career yet I am also trying to figure out any other sort of random variable I may not have accounted for.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM

Once you have local ID and a local address (you can use the PO box for secure mail, checking account, etc.) you should contact local employment agencies, some hire for contract work for local companies. You should attend job fairs, research and attend potential work related gatherings specific to the industry you would focus on (ex. tech events). You should follow local companies, geekwire.com and techflash.com are good sites for that. If your resume needs looking over, you could hire a professional to rewrite it.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Once you have local ID and a local address (you can use the PO box for secure mail, checking account, etc.) you should contact local employment agencies, some hire for contract work for local companies. You should attend job fairs, research and attend potential work related gatherings specific to the industry you would focus on (ex. tech events). You should follow local companies, geekwire.com and techflash.com are good sites for that. If your resume needs looking over, you could hire a professional to rewrite it.
I'm having an old friend/professor look it over with me and go over anything I might have missed however I plan to be doing an extensive search online while also exploring local activities too. Pretty much I plan to waste as little as time as possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area