Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,705,878 times

Advertisements

No offense but maybe it is because we have a family we are really noticing many of the apartments and housing aren't really that big. Also we were hoping for more modern looking apartments and such to rent. Where I'm from we were pretty used to older, "historic" homes in Virginia but in the Seattle area, where can I find apartments with more modern and up to date construction?

Is this because of the price range we have been looking for or is it just the communities we are looking at?

For example we see most apartments (we are looking to rent only until we get our feets wet here) most apartments usually have a dish washer but no washer dryer.. Sme had dishwasher OR washer dryer. Not that it is an actual choice but some communities just vary. Is this common all throughout the region? Any reason to this, like is it similar to some natural reason like why you have no a/c?

Do we need to look more east for "modern" and more recent newer construction apartments? I realize a lot of the apartments in Seattle are decades old due to the fair but where do I look for newer looking apartments and communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,348 times
In my part of town this is really linked to your budget. You pay little you live in an early 20th century or mid-century building with few amenities. If you pay a lot you live in a modern apartment building with washer/dryer/dishwasher in the unit and a gym, pool and roof terrace in the building.

I am somewhere inbetween, in a old (but charming) building, got washer/dryer in the unit but no dishwasher (they preserved the original tiled kitchen and there's no space for it, looks lovely though).

I live in central Seattle and is most central parts of town you can really choose from the whole range, but you budget will limit what you can get.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
What exactly is your budget?

There's definitely newer and more modern apts/homes here and there within proper Seattle. The ones in W. Seattle are definitely going to be pricey. Then you have some in areas that are just undesirable (like Othello)... but they are relatively affordable.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
In my part of town this is really linked to your budget. You pay little you live in an early 20th century or mid-century building with few amenities. If you pay a lot you live in a modern apartment building with washer/dryer/dishwasher in the unit and a gym, pool and roof terrace in the building.

I am somewhere inbetween, in a old (but charming) building, got washer/dryer in the unit but no dishwasher (they preserved the original tiled kitchen and there's no space for it, looks lovely though).

I live in central Seattle and is most central parts of town you can really choose from the whole range, but you budget will limit what you can get.
Oh ok I see. I thought that it all depended on the already established Seattle buildings. So if I moved say farther east, like cheaper areas east (if possible?) I'd likely still pretty much get what I pay for?

As a transplant, due to the history,the city im from is older and has older buildings but now population has began spreading outwards and the farther from the downtown city parts the more likely you'll find more newer and recent structures. They're usually all on the same level of price. You're saying in Seattle though, money more so than location determines what the rentals/communities look like?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,348 times
I live in Capitol Hill and can't really comment on the Eastside. But CH is an old neighborhood with lots of older buildings, just like many other central Seattle areas. However, there are more and more new buildings going up on empty lots and, very sadly, old buildings are being torn down to build modern nondescript apartment blocks which, no doubt, will totally change the character of the area over the next few years.

The metropolitan market building and the entire block including Bauhaus Cafe are a good example for that. As a renter though it means you got the entire range form old and shabby to modern and glitzy to choose from. This is for central Seattle, Eastside and suburbs might be totally different.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
What exactly is your budget?

There's definitely newer and more modern apts/homes here and there within proper Seattle. The ones in W. Seattle are definitely going to be pricey. Then you have some in areas that are just undesirable (like Othello)... but they are relatively affordable.
I don't know what it would be like to live in that new luxury apartment building by the Othello Station. The neighborhood has long had a bad reputation. But the building is really nice, has good security, and an absolutely awesome place on the ground floor for gelato.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Look towards the Eastside.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
Look towards the Eastside.
Does living on the east still mean that you need to pay more to get a more modern house or are all of the homes/apartments to the east fairly more modern to say Seattle/Tacoma in general?

In east do you mean as far as issaquah?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,885,350 times
You still haven't mentioned budget - that will tell you how far from Seattle you have to be to live where you want to live. Everywhere has new and modern places.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM

570 posts, read 1,730,118 times
yeah, Eastside has alot of new appartments. The Kirkland apartment that i'm living in right is just two years old. Everything is new.

The Red 160 appartment in Redmond was very nice, but too expensive for me. Downtown bellevue has many newer appartments too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area