Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2006, 08:08 PM

24 posts, read 195,370 times

Advertisements

should I expect to look for a house to rent in Renton if I get the job there?I mean is it a safe,nice area or is there a city nearby there which would be a better choice? I'm still interested in living in Gig Harbor or maybe even Port Orchard but since I haven't visited the area yet I don't know the proximity. Thanks! and P.S. am visiting there in December!! woohooo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 PM

454 posts, read 905,333 times
As you will see when you are here in December, Renton is part of a sprawl that extends from Seattle through Renton and Kent. There is a heavy concentration of Boeing Employees in the area. If you are going to work in Renton proper you will find the commute to most of the areas surrounding Renton to be managable. I would probably recommend looking to the outer areas of Renton such as Fairview or other areas along Benson rd. You can drift to places east of renton (Maple valley). You can also go farther east to Covington, but the commute may be a lot longer.

Your choice of location also depends on your budget for housing, but I can't advise as to what areas are available for a specific area.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:25 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
Renton is up/down/all around in terms of what's available. The highlands can be expensive but there are reasonably priced areas. Many parts of Renton can be on a by-street-basis, meaning that one street is nice and the next might not be so nice. It used to be very affordable before the invasion.

Downtown is not desireable but you might find something on a decent street that is affordable.

Renton's proximity is a good location for jobs though. You can commute to downtown/eastside/tacoma fairly easily. I think that's why a lot of people who relocate to the area live there.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl_for_now View Post
should I expect to look for a house to rent in Renton if I get the job there?I mean is it a safe,nice area or is there a city nearby there which would be a better choice? I'm still interested in living in Gig Harbor or maybe even Port Orchard but since I haven't visited the area yet I don't know the proximity. Thanks! and P.S. am visiting there in December!! woohooo
I live in Port Orchard, next town up from Gig Harbor. Both towns are great, Port Orchard pretty affordable for housing. For example I'm selling one of my homes for $216k, it'd cost much more Renton.

However..............If you will work in Renton.....I'd suggest living in or near Renton. Seattle/Tacoma traffic is horrendous, in addition to that, you'll have to deal with "The bridge" if you live in Gig Harbor, long traffic back ups, new toll bridge going in, etc

No traffic it's about 50 to 60 minutes from Port Orchard to Renton, with traffic 1.5 to 2 hours each way. In my opinion, it's not worth the cost or frustration. But there are plenty of people that do it, me for one, I worked in Downtown Seattle until friday. I'm now unemployed and looking for a job....in Port Orchard ;-)

Good luck, welcome to the area (soon).

Tony

Old 10-01-2006, 06:36 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I work in Renton. It's a pit.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:51 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I work in Renton. It's a pit.
LOL, could you elaborate Mark? LOL

Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernexposure View Post
LOL, could you elaborate Mark? LOL
Renton is the picture perfect example of urban sprawl. It's a world of concrete and asphalt --- strip malls, industrial parks, strip malls, apartment complexes, strip malls, car lots, strip malls, Wal-Mart, strip malls, and strip malls. Up toward the lake it's a bit nicer, but very, very pricey.

Crime is pretty bad. When we first moved here, we looked at a few apartment complexes in Renton, and they were downright scary. Car theft and burlgary is really, really bad here. We knew some people who moved into a very quiet, almost rural area right on the edge of town, and they still got hit. Cleaned them out.

And traffic is a nightmare. Renton is where I-5, I-405, and Highway 167 all run into each other, so traffic snarls here. It's where all the commuters heading into Seattle, Bellevue, and Redmond run into each other. Not a pretty sight. The so-called "Renton S-curves" are infamous for snarled traffic and accidents.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:08 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
oooh love that Renton Walmart.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:09 PM

13 posts, read 58,178 times
That Renton Walmart s so that bad...When you leave there feeling the need to go straight home to shower there is something wrong. I would look In Maple Valley or Covington it would be more affordable and rural than Bellevue. Issaquha is beautiful but also more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area