Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 PM

22 posts, read 124,348 times

Advertisements

I can't comment on the people in Seattle since I was there only for 3 days this past summer, but I have spent ALOT of time on Vancouver Island and I have to agree with doni. Don't get me wrong, I have lived 50 of my past 52 years in the south and deep south (land of dixie and all). Since I'm now looking at it from a nursing point of view the people here in Tennessee/Alabama/NC/SC/Ga/La/Miss (left Fl out on purpose since they are all transplants) as a whole are....well......ahem....... large. Childhood obesity is on the rise as well as adolescence MI's(heart attacks) and CVA's (strokes). Coupling the baby boomer generation hitting the medical system and the growing waistline of the USA is one of the major reason I decided to get into nursing at this age.

Remember real southern food is mostly fried..........fried=fat, fat=excess storage/high cholesterol/arteriosclerosis, it's the culture.

I have to apoligize if I read the rating wrong.........but I thought attractiveness meant in general women AND men. With that in consideration it becomes a matter of gender mix right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 PM

51 posts, read 262,047 times
I think it's all a matter of perspective, what you're into, etc. that defines attractiveness (so cliche, but true!). Seattle doesn't feel nearly as plastic as other areas of the country, the southwest in particular. With that said, plastic seems to be synonymous with attractive in many respects and circles. There does, however, seem to be far fewer that fall into the "hot until they open their mouth" category than in other areas of the country.

We don't have sunny beaches, only moderate weather, etc. Seems there isn't as much focus on perfecting your exterior here as a result, since there's ultimately fewer opportunities to display it outright. People DO tend to be in better shape here though due to the relation to high impact nature stuff - it's nice going to the gym and seeing people actually working out, rather than ogling themselves and their overpriced workout gear in the mirror all day.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:12 AM

51 posts, read 221,595 times
I think we rank #1 in the "Smugness" category.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,325,404 times
People typically gain weight after moving to Seattle. The weather and the cold, souless social environment - causes it to happen.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM

474 posts, read 1,457,204 times
Default People GAIN weight here?

That's absurd.

Having traveled extensively, I think it's safe to say that the urban areas of the West Coast and Northeast are by far the most in-shape areas of the US. The South is embarassing, and I was shocked at how fat Texans are. Obviously there are exceptions, but just take a look at the freeway cultures of the South and the fat-laden chain restaurants, then add in the fact that nobody walks anywhere (particularly during the summer), and it makes some sense.

The rural areas of Washington/Oregon are indeed quite a bit larger - same 'drive everywhere' feel to them.

I walk so much in Seattle and have such easy access to my gym that I've lost 10 lbs in the past year with no major changes... just the fact that I can actually walk and be outside in every season of the year. Add skiing, jogging, golf, hiking, etc and you're talking about a lot of outdoor activity.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:58 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,267,896 times
People do not gain weight after moving to Seattle. We are one of the fittest cities in the U.S. I love walking in Seattle. If you live in the suburbs and drive everywhere then maybe things are different. I walk a lot year around in this city. Temps are pretty moderate throughout the year so I walk often. Is 45 too cold for you? Where I come from it isn't. Its nice.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:08 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,618,739 times
Fat is everywhere folks. Seattle is no exception. But I have to agree with the folks that say there is generally more fat available in the south than in Seattle.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:19 PM

51 posts, read 221,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Fat is everywhere folks. Seattle is no exception. But I have to agree with the folks that say there is generally more fat available in the south than in Seattle.
Though I don't envy the Southern states for their high obesity rates, I wish we at least had a tiny sample of their awesome BBQ joints . The South has the best American food, period!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: