Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
This is so true. When the Sonics left my hometown in 2008, my interest in the NBA became little to nothing. Perhaps the NBA should seriously consider that a team in Seattle is more important than a team in Sacramento. Why? Because there are almost 4.5 milllion people within the geographic metro of Seattle, while there are less than 2 million in Sacramento. And to think Kings fans will suddenly switch to Warriors fans is absurd.
Sacramento has more like 2.3 million in its Metro. Almost identical to Portland.

Our real rival has never really been with the Oakland Warriors; its been with the LA Lakers. In our heyday, when Sacramento played Oakland it was an easy drive down to the Bay where you would find half as many Kings fans in Oakland as Warriors fans. Many a Bay Arean would find their way up to Sacramento to support our winning team as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 PM

I’ve been talking about the Kings in the past tense, truth be told its not over until the Fat lady sings.

Sacramento's mayor, Kevin Johnson, an ex NBA player and his supporting group and Ron Burkle is Sacramento's last hope of keeping the Kings in Sacramento. I don't know if they can match the financial pull of Hansen-Ballmer.

Either way if we can keep our Kings minus the MaGoofs we would be a happy bunch.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
I think this will play out, and nobody can really predict what will happen. Sacramento should be proud of their support of the Kings, but keep in mind that Sacramento also "inherited" a team, from Kansas City. These things happen, and while Seattle lost a storied franchise, so did Kansas City. I think we need to get past the city to city transfers and realize they will happen, for both the good and bad of the cities involved. This is nothing new, and Sacramento, if anyone, should recognize this.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I’ve been talking about the Kings in the past tense, truth be told its not over until the Fat lady sings.

Sacramento's mayor, Kevin Johnson, an ex NBA player and his supporting group and Ron Burkle is Sacramento's last hope of keeping the Kings in Sacramento. I don't know if they can match the financial pull of Hansen-Ballmer.

Either way if we can keep our Kings minus the MaGoofs we would be a happy bunch.
So the ownership is the real problem. I tend to agree.

However, is there anyone in Sacramento that is willing to offer 500 million for this franchise with no arena deal?

I think it looks bleak for Sacramento, and I truely am saddened by this. Sacramento is an important city, and with no pro sports, becomes weaker.

Money talks, and unfortunately for Sac, Sea has more. This team is likely moving to Seattle, despite all the perceived snags, etc.

I'm one of those Seattleietes who don't wish any ill well to Sacramento, but I do believe the team has a better chance of succeding in the NW than Sactown.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
So the ownership is the real problem. I tend to agree.

However, is there anyone in Sacramento that is willing to offer 500 million for this franchise with no arena deal?

I think it looks bleak for Sacramento, and I truely am saddened by this. Sacramento is an important city, and with no pro sports, becomes weaker.

Money talks, and unfortunately for Sac, Sea has more. This team is likely moving to Seattle, despite all the perceived snags, etc.

I'm one of those Seattleietes who don't wish any ill well to Sacramento, but I do believe the team has a better chance of succeding in the NW than Sactown.
Oh we know it's hella hard for SAC to compete with Seattle's corporate power. Losing the NBA would be a huge blow to Sacramento. If we lose the Kings, Sacramento will have no major league sports. At least, Seattle and KC still had Major league Baseball and Football upon the NBA's departure.

Before we had the NBA we had to go down to the Bay Area for all major league sports; its definitely doable. SAC is a lot closer to the BAY(75miles) than Portland is to Seattle(180miles).

Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM

49 posts, read 121,401 times
Report: Sacramento Kings sold to Seattle, Maloofs out - Local - MyNorthwest.com

Hmmm I wish all these "unconfirmed reports" would stop popping up. For god sake lets be done with this!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM

872 posts, read 2,030,031 times
Has anyone ever been lived in a city when an NBA team was first introduced? I can't even begin to IMAGINE how fast tickets are going to sell.

I'd love to get my hands on some (around probably another 30000-40000 would too, Im sure).

I wonder what that will do to prices, etc. But, we all shouldn't get too excited about winning a championship or anything...I think the Kings are at least 2 years out of actually being competitive for anything unless they make some spectacular trades.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 PM

This ever changing story continues to evolve. The latest is new local ownership has popped up in Sacramento. It's the 24-hour fitness guy who is worth billions. The drama continues...

Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
This ever changing story continues to evolve. The latest is new local ownership has popped up in Sacramento. It's the 24-hour fitness guy who is worth billions. The drama continues...
Mark Mastrov, who lives in the Bay Area city of Lafayette, said he knows the details of Sacramento's arena proposal and that he "likes the idea and concept and location." Mastrov unsuccessfully bid a reported $350 million for the Golden State Warriors (Oakland) when the team was sold for an NBA record of $450 million in 2010. He sold 24 Hour Fitness in 2005 for $1.7 billion, and founded a financial firm three years later.

Read more here: Potential local buyers emerge in changing Kings sales picture - Kings/NBA - The Sacramento Bee

Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM

The NBA relocation committee has been alerted about the Seattle offer. Hmm. This may be closer than we think, despite the Sacramento effort.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/202...2_kings15.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area