Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM

38 posts, read 71,622 times

Advertisements

Recently I took a new job that requires me to posses a Class A CDL, drive a very large, slow utility vehicle in rather heavy traffic and occasionally I need to flag/direct traffic. So now a problem that has bugged me previously now seriously affects me.
Why do people feel they are not required to use their turn signals? I won't complain about mergers/lane changers/people who cut you off, that's something I learned to accept a long time ago. But I am talking about people at 3/4 way stops, drivers who could reasonably be expected to make a left or right turn out of a driveway, drivers who hold up an entire travel lane for a left, etc etc.
If people would signal their intentions, then others could plan accordingly. It is especially dangerous when I am trying to help traffic around a work area and many cars are in the area and they make turns without ever signaling. Those turns that are not signaled are very dangerous for me as I may have sent another car into that non-signal'ers path. Of course, knowing this I adjust accordingly to be as safe as possible, but it still creates extra stress for me.

So, not to just point fingers or be condescending, but who here that does not use their turn signal would like to explain why it is not necessary in your opinion?
Me, I am as religious about turns signals as I am about my seatbelt. I grew up driving that way, never think about it. So what gives with everyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Seattle is very well-known for having some of the, if not the worst drivers in the country. I mean what is more frustrating than the moron in the FAST lane who is going 50mph, speeding up and slowing down, and not knowing that sometimes a car needs a bit of gas pedal to make it up a small freeway incline.... And the merge thing is horrible too, I mean who trys to get on the freeway at 35?!?! If they were in So. Cal where I come from they'd be run off the road or shot, and it's the majority of people here who drive this way.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:03 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
I'm from SO Cal too - and I swear the drivers can NOT drive here. The rules up here aren't clear either. I get dirty looks when I make a perfectly legal U Turn.

OH! And on the turn signal: Hey People! You are suppose to turn your signal on 100 feet FROM the turn - not when you get up to the turn and THEN turn on your signal! I would have liked to have known so I could go around you in time!

AND If you are in a left hand turning lane - SCOOT UP INTO THE INTERSECTION so that more then one car can make this turn! It's not going to hurt you!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Seattle is very well-known for having some of the, if not the worst drivers in the country. I mean what is more frustrating than the moron in the FAST lane who is going 50mph, speeding up and slowing down, and not knowing that sometimes a car needs a bit of gas pedal to make it up a small freeway incline.... And the merge thing is horrible too, I mean who trys to get on the freeway at 35?!?! If they were in So. Cal where I come from they'd be run off the road or shot, and it's the majority of people here who drive this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'm from SO Cal too - and I swear the drivers can NOT drive here. The rules up here aren't clear either. I get dirty looks when I make a perfectly legal U Turn.

OH! And on the turn signal: Hey People! You are suppose to turn your signal on 100 feet FROM the turn - not when you get up to the turn and THEN turn on your signal! I would have liked to have known so I could go around you in time!

AND If you are in a left hand turning lane - SCOOT UP INTO THE INTERSECTION so that more then one car can make this turn! It's not going to hurt you!
I agree with both of you. Driving here is downright frightening.

What is up with people who STOP on the freeway to merge?? It's like WTF?

And I'm still confused about U-turns, I tend to not make them anymore, because I think the law in WA is you can't unless it's posted you can, but it's not very clear.

And the semis on the freeway, I miss CA where they are pretty much only allowed in the slow lane. Not that I blame them for wanting to drive as quickly as possible, but it's very disconcerting to be passed by a semi doing 70+.

V. =)

Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 PM

269 posts, read 1,243,849 times
I signal for turns, but around here, signaling for a lane change all too often causes people in that lane to speed up (so you don't get in front of THEM) which results in you being blocked out. This is, of course, the opposite of what signalling is supposed to do for you. Consequently, I'll signal for a lane change only after there's enough free space that it's not physically possible for the vehicles around me to be prevent it from happening.

Turns, though, I try to signal far in advance.

The flaws of Seattle drivers are legion. I do my best to drive as little as possible (I commute by driving 3 miles to a park & ride, and bus from there).

Old 10-23-2007, 04:22 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
I was born and raised and learned how to drive in NY.

I am one inconsiderate SOB when it comes to driving!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM

38 posts, read 71,622 times
Well I am from AZ originally. I've been here about 5+ years. I've driven in many different cities in my life. Every city has "bad" drivers. Turn signal ignorance is not unique to any one city. I can deal with the people who try and squeeze you out of a merge/lane change. Sometimes I disallow someone to get in front of me especially if I have noticed them impeding their previous lane. However, I welcome people who want to get in front of me and speed away. I try not to complain about something if I am just as guilty.

When I first moved here I was very impressed by the drivers here. But as time goes on, either my patience wears thin or we are getting "worse" drivers from out of state.

41Willys, at least your honest!

I heard that the new aggressive driver patrols are looking for un-signaled lane changes, among other things. I heard that 2 no signal turns/lane changes and they can pull you over. Doubt they'll enforce it, but I hope they do. No sense in having laws on the books if you don't enforce them, right?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
I think a part of the problem as to why Seattle has such bad drivers stems from the large influx of Asian immingrants we have here who never drove back home and now are thrown into one of the busiest and most poorly designed urban and suburban road systems in America.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Asian drivers have traditionally been given a bad rap, whether justified or not, but let me tell ya; I've seen plenty of Caucasian drivers in the Seattle area who are poor drivers.

To be truthful, personally, I've had more problems with female Caucasians on the road than I have with Asians of any gender or national origin.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 PM

158 posts, read 405,450 times
I only use my turn signal when I'm not talking on my cell phone. Just kidding....

Did you ever really notice how many people are talking on cell phones these days? I'm not talking about a casual survey. Take a break at a fast food parking lot (or other safe spot to pull over) and count the cars that go by where the driver is or is not visibly talking on a cell phone. It's no wonder so many people don't obey traffic laws or simple ettiquette. Over half are too busy to notice the world around them. On the freeway it is downright scary!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area