Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,595,995 times

Advertisements

So I've been living in Bellevue for the past 9 months (when I moved to Seattle). I was subleting a house from a private landlord. However, the landlord has decided to put the house up for sale, so that mean I have to leave. I was paying month to month rent, since I'm a contract employee, and you know how contracts are. But I think my job is stable enough, since we are taking on 3 times the work in the next year, and we're understaffed already. But don't get me wrong, keeping my resume updated in case anything happens.

Anyway, my problem is that upon attempting to move to Seattle, I had a hard time finding a place due to a past eviction. I have actually paid off the eviction since then, but I wonder if the damage is already done to my credit. My take home pay is anywhere between $5200-$5600 a month. I think I can more than afford a decent apartment. However the thing is, I want a nice place, preferably in Bellevue.

Things I consider:

Close to the bus (I don't currently drive). My main issue is that I never saved money living in Crossroads, because I took a cab EVERYWHERE. It adds up. So I would love a walkable bus stop and a walkable grocery store.

This is the main reason why I won't move to Bothell (where I actually work). I don't like the lack of convenience.

Anyway, I do have someone willing to room mate with me, but I wanted to know how credit checks are ran when two people are moving in together? Also will properties some times take into consideration your income, and cut you a break on a credit check? I make more than enough to at least get a $1500 apartment (MAX). With a room mate I'm willing to go up to $1700 a month.

Could anyone advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM

I also like to mention that when I say close to a bus stop, I mean near Bellevue transit center, or next to a B-Line. There is a bus where I stay, but it runs infrequently. Which gives me less incentive to catch the bus honestly.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:06 PM

52 posts, read 106,014 times
I don't know about the credit thing but downtown redmond is nice -- very walkable (I never drove when I lived there). And grocery, trader joes, movies, gym, bars, food, etc are on the B line.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,640 posts, read 81,333,263 times
I agree with downtown Redmond, much less expensive than downtown Bellevue but built up nicely the last few years. Many apartments, some even right above Top Pot Donuts.

The rental market is tight, so credit checks are standard. No one is desperate for tenants. If there are roommates, both are on the lease, and both get credit checks. Property managers would consider the credit far more important than income as long as the rent is not more than 1/3 of your take home.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 PM

20 posts, read 42,946 times
I'm in kind of the same boat. Moving out there from DC on 5/1, and looking for a place in the Cap Hill area. I'm got fairly ****ty credit (college is the time for bad choices, right?). My payment history is good, I've just got a couple small collections accounts that seem to be bringing the score down to the poor level.

However, I've got a job I've been at for 3+ years and will be keeping when I move, a clean criminal background, and good rental history going back about 3 years with two landlords as references.

I've contacted a few property managers in Seattle, and the consensus seems to be that they will rent to someone with a shoddy credit score/report, however they require an additional deposit (usually an extra month's rent), and if the score is really bad, a cosigner.

I've found it best to be upfront about the credit check, so there are no surprises, and be proactive in asking what you can do to make up for it. So far the ones I've talked to have been pretty accommodating (that said, I haven't actually applied for any apartments yet, so I can't say that I've been approved or anything. I'm waiting until I actually get out there to make a commitment).

Old 04-14-2013, 01:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,484,071 times
1) Private landlords are far-and-away more forgiving of credit snafus than companies, as a general rule (and I speak from experience).

2) There aren't many buses that go into Bothell, but the 532/535 does just that and leaves from downtown Bellevue. For that reason, I would suggest taking a day to walk around the neighborhoods near downtown Bellevue to see if you can find some bargains.

The transit hubs to get to Bothell seem to be centered around Kirkland, Woodinville, and Bellevue on the Eastside. If you were going to take the bus in to work, those are the areas you would want to live.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,217,683 times
My experience has been that bad credit won't mean you are auto reject. It means you will likely have to put down more deposits.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:27 AM

243 posts, read 467,759 times
Downtown Bellevue is awesome (I actually lived there). You will rarely use your car, everything is walkable or busable. Mall is great. Bus ride to Bothell is very short, under 30 minutes.

There are couple of problems, however:
1. 1500 is probably not enough for 1br in downtown Bellevue, but may be enough for a studio.
2. All properties in downtown seem to be owned by large companies, and the biggest one, Avalon is picky about rental history.

But I myself, without a single doubt would live in Seattle Proper; for the same or better walkability you'll pay less and be closer to "fun stuff". The bus ride will be much longer, though.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhd2 View Post
Downtown Bellevue is awesome (I actually lived there). You will rarely use your car, everything is walkable or busable. Mall is great. Bus ride to Bothell is very short, under 30 minutes.

There are couple of problems, however:
1. 1500 is probably not enough for 1br in downtown Bellevue, but may be enough for a studio.
2. All properties in downtown seem to be owned by large companies, and the biggest one, Avalon is picky about rental history.

But I myself, without a single doubt would live in Seattle Proper; for the same or better walkability you'll pay less and be closer to "fun stuff". The bus ride will be much longer, though.

I can afford 1700 as well. But I do think that's a bit steep for one bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area