Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM

226 posts, read 506,994 times

Advertisements

I've been to Goorin Brothers near Pike Place a couple of times and liked it. I've recently heard of Byrnie Utz Hats, which is a couple of blocks away.

Any hat lovers out there have opinions on either store? Or, recommendations for other haberdashers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
I have several Goorin Brother's hats. Somehow they mange to look and fit better than anything else I've ever tried. They are high quality, stay looking good, keep their shape, and are worth every penny IMO.

Haven't seen the other place, but now I'll have to go look. I do love a good hat!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Bernie Utz has been around forever.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:19 AM

110 posts, read 202,195 times
What's with the extremely narrow brims? For me personally if I'm going to buy a hat, I want it to shield my eyes and face from the sun to a certain degree. I want a hat with decent functionality and decent looks. Goorin hats have poor functionality and okay looks. PASS.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 AM

Ladder, I'm more of a flat cap guy, so brims aren't too much of a concern. So far everything I've bought from Goorin has been very well made and high quality.

Kayela, please let us know what you think of Utz.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Always passed by this place after dinner:

Welcome To Conley Hat Mfg. Co. Seattle, Washington

Old school hat making ...

Old 04-27-2013, 10:04 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Well, I own no fewer than a dozen hats ranging from classy hand made Italian sissal to old fart felt fedora, so I guess you could say I'm a hat guy. There's a Goorin shop in Park Slope Brooklyn from which I've bought three (four?) so far. I'm definitely not much for up brims, though that's the style these days (the ironic hipster look.) For me it's generally wide (4") snap brims, low pinched crowns, though I do own two Goorin pork pie hats with diamond crowns and narrow brims (one black, one gray.) I have about three cloth caps, a houndstooth Alpine Fedora...you get the idea. I like hats.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Went back to Goorin. The shop was nice and the staff were okay, but little more than passingly helpful. I ended up with one hat there (another flat cap). Basically it was what I had experienced before.

Hoofed it over to Byrnie Utz and was greeted immediately by a young guy who almost took me by the hand and showed me around and helped me try on and determine the best hat for my style, appearance, and budget. He was extremely nice and in no rush, clearly interested in having a satisfied customer. One of the best customer services experiences I've ever had. The quality of the merchandise seemed higher than Goorin, as well as the selection. I'll definitely be going back there.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussakka View Post
Hoofed it over to Byrnie Utz and was greeted immediately by a young guy who almost took me by the hand and showed me around and helped me try on and determine the best hat for my style, appearance, and budget. He was extremely nice and in no rush, clearly interested in having a satisfied customer. One of the best customer services experiences I've ever had. The quality of the merchandise seemed higher than Goorin, as well as the selection. I'll definitely be going back there.
Yeah, that young guy at Bernie Utz (assuming same person) is on the ball. I stop in occasionally when walking by wearing one of my fedoras. Last time was only a month ago: he cleaned and steamed my Stetson. It's fun being a bit out-of-style (or avant garde, in the eye of the beholder).

I have three generic "fedora", brims from about 2 1/4 to 2 3/4", give or take. Don't recall the exact measurements, or different names/types for different brim measurements.

My Stetson fedora is a bit firmer, and dark brown. Nice enough, if you like firm hats, and I've worn it in the worst Seattle can offer. Looks rather good with my distressed brown leather jacket, if I do say so, proving most of us guys do have an inner Indian Jones we sometimes channel.

The prize of the bunch is my Borsalino. Softer, slightly better fit. Gorgeous in the details. Dark blue. Rather old-school gangsta: nice with black leather, my Navy wool winter coat, etc. Can be either quite formal or casual, depending how accessorized.

Latter two were purchased at Bernie Utz, c. 2002 and 2007. They weren't cheap. The Borsalino in-particular made my wallet smart a bit. They have goods ranging from exquisite to budget-conscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area