Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
In other words all that time you spent on formatting the resume is gone before a hiring manager sees it.
Good points ben, size does matter. However, I would add that the resume scanning that has become the norm is exactly why you might want a professional. A professional resume today is way for than formatting. The tricks and tips to maximize your return on the scanners are amazing. I know a lot about my industry and am well able to generate a great resume. But because they mostly get scanned, I need to take advantage of that by using the techniques that will best play to the scanners and that is something I personally wouldn't know how to do. But a guy who focuses on Amazon resumes after 10 years in their HR department just might know a couple things to make your resume stand out. It doesn't mean you wont get hired with a DIY resume, it doesn't even guarantee you will be hired faster. It is just one tool to consider if you want to stand out from the crowd.

Your also right on about LinkedIn. But too many job seekers simply signup and say that they are now "on" LinkedIn. As a job seeker you can really improve your chances by using inmails to blindly contact the HR department of maybe even the hiring manager. Unfortunately, that costs money too. But even the free services are helpful and you can always build your network through people you know, it just takes longer. And then as I said use the groups. These are invaluable in helping people in your industry get to know you and very often there are job leads that nobody else would see except group members. Again, its about increasing your chances and doing things to stand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:18 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,790 times
Interesting info and viewpoints to be sure. I'll just keep plugging away as I've done so far, saving money for the move and hope for the best while trying to be patient. I'll make what connections I can when I visit Seattle for a few days this coming weekend.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 PM

Will be heading out to your area tomorrow and small interview face to face with a company on Friday, wish me luck!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM

83 posts, read 247,990 times
FWIW AT-AT, I sent off over 100 applications at various Fortune 500 companies before landing a spot in Seattle. Keep trying, and when you get tired and despondent, try more.

This may help you too, while we are discussing resume tweaking, I noticed an immediate reaction from resume scanner algorithms when I started copying specific words and placing them in the body of my resume replacing synonyms. For example one posting maybe would say "QA" and the other "testing", I would insert the word appearing from the job board into my resume where applicable. This sounds like overload, but the algorithms Taleo uses in particular, most assuredly function off of keyword matching.

Further, another pitfall coming from a Tech recruiter friend at Target, do not over-apply at the same firm. These recruiters at larger firms will catch your resume. If you are applying in too many divergent paths, she said they assume you don't know what you want to do or are desperate.

HR people also emphasize the importance of a cover letter. All of my 4 interviews were preceded by a cover letter.

Good luck man, keep trying!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:31 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,833,084 times
Try and get in through a contract company. I know many people who have been hired on full time who started out as contractors.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM

83 posts, read 247,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Try and get in through a contract company. I know many people who have been hired on full time who started out as contractors.
I would say the bulk (80%) of what I was contacted for was contracting. The industry is moving toward a temp worker model overall. Had I not been stubborn about wanting to go in a management direction, I could have gotten a job much sooner as a contractor. I probably went through 8 recruiters, and of them only two had offerings for salaried positions and interviews.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:20 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
Someone should tell him not to wear a suit. This is the West Coast.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times
I wouldn't suggest you start your career in Seattle. It's very competitive, and you really need a lot of experience to stand out. In Seattle, if you're not senior level, you're going to have a tough time. Try the East Coast tech market in places like Raleigh, Atlanta, Ohio, etc. You're likely to find more established fortune 500 companies, and they're likely to have a bit lower paying lesser skilled tech jobs. You only really want to come to Seattle when you're at the point of your career where you're ready for prime time.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Someone should tell him not to wear a suit. This is the West Coast.

I dont think thats a blanket statement, depends on the position hes going after AND its role in the company. Even a simple entry level tech job that has some customer facing could require a suit.

Like Ghaukne, I sent hundreds of resumes before i got a job here with relocation. But when I had an interview I always asked about the dress code and expectations. Some had nothing, others had actual policies for interview dress. if in doubt, I'd always wear a suit.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 PM

Had a good interview with the company and they will get back with me next week after the 4th craziness and now I have a phone interview with the University of Washington tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: