Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times

Advertisements

I lived in LA for a year in my 20s. The weather was undeniably nice, a few things stick in my mind though.

-Brown hills. I hated it after awhile. I wanted some rain, some growing green things, besides those you had to water.
-Flaky people. People just didn't show up, didn't do what they said they would. Bizarrely, that was considered normal.
-Body obsessiveness, not in a healthy way.
-Strange things that made no sense to me. I was once invited to a private invite only "art" opening. I love art, classic and modern, I'm very open minded. This guy's art just sucked, by any metric. People were ooing and ahhhing.
-The way people talked with each other. No one looked in my eye or seemed to listen to each other.

So, say what you want about this rainy paradise of Seattle. I was in a pub the other day having a pint with a good friend. I looked around the pub, saw about 8 people I could have struck up a friendship with. I'll take that any day.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 05-20-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:36 AM

54 posts, read 59,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
-Flaky people. People just didn't show up, didn't do what they said they would. Bizarrely, that was considered normal.
Quote:
-The way people talked with each other. No one looked in my eye or seemed to listen to each other.
I have found these to be a lot more prevalent in Seattle than SoCal.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 AM

678 posts, read 875,927 times
Quote:
I lived in LA for a year in my 20s. The weather was undeniably nice, a few things stick in my mind though.

-Brown hills. I hated it after awhile. I wanted some rain, some growing green things, besides those you had to water.
-Body obsessiveness, not in a healthy way.
-Strange things that made no sense to me. I was once invited to a private invite only "art" opening. I love art, classic and modern, I'm very open minded. This guy's art just sucked, by any metric. People were ooing and ahhhing.

So, say what you want about this rainy paradise of Seattle. I was in a pub the other day having a pint with a good friend. I looked around the pub, saw about 8 people I could have struck up a friendship with. I'll take that any day.
AMEN to that.
I live in LA, and am dedicated to relocating to Seattle this fall.
All that you said about LA is 100% accurate, and you were only there for a year to be able to experience it... That tells you something about how alive and well the snobbyness and materialism is there.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
"IMO...Seattle has nothing to offer that justify's it's current pricing. The mere lack of sunshine should be enough in and of itself to keep prices down. People may be moving here but it isn't because of the weather or the social scene."

I'll take the lack of sunshine if it means a corresponding lack of @ssholes, gangs, crime, smog, 24/7 traffic, illegals, concrete jungle and burnt lawns, etc. I lived between Santa Monica and the South Bay for 20 years, and you couldn't pay me to go back.

As I tell all of my NW friends when they ask how I left that weather....
I'll take the weather in Seattle anyway over the people in LA...and I can put a jacket on here!
I fail to understand why sun-lovers think that everyone else are also sun-lovers...
I hope more people realize that on an emotional level, Seattle weather sucks. But that's just it, ITS ALL EMOTIONAL.
Because if you look at it scientifically and practically, LA weather is very unhealthy.
No rain and constant sunshine=brown air, brown hills, smog, pollution,etc.
Rain = clean air, preserved nature, green forests, healthy wildlife, etc.
honestly Seattle weather only sucks if you're emotional. Because on a scientific and facts-based level, Seattle weather is supreme.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:08 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
It's actually not all emotional. Vitamin D deficiency is very real and leads to depression and all kinds of long-term issues. I take 5,000 mg fall to spring, and 2,000 in summer and my levels are just barely normal.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:36 PM

368 posts, read 695,732 times
Yep, its the lack of daylight this far north in the winter that drives some folks crazy, more than the rain thing.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM

Mostly emotional

Old 05-20-2015, 05:31 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
Yep, its the lack of daylight this far north in the winter that drives some folks crazy, more than the rain thing.
It is both, but yes, the short days are a killer. I use a sun lamp in the winter just to keep my circadian rhythm on schedule. Not only are the days short, but it is DARK out.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:50 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
that's true...but for the next 5 months, this is an awesome place to be...

i love coming home from work at 6 and having the sun out so i can still do things outside for a few more hours. it's great.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:59 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
I'll tell you how it really is...

I was born in raised in Huntington Beach, Ca. worked in law enforcement for over 2 decades and commuted 41 miles each way for many years (lived in Huntington Beach, Ca.). The cost of living in California in some aspects is higher and others lower. For one buying or renting will be higher in California. This is not up for debate. Food on the other hand is cheaper as is purchasing alcohol of any sort. LA also has a much better variety of food. They also have far better Mexican food and lest we forget...IN N OUT burger.

Property tax and sales tax in Washington is higher (gotta make up for the lack of income tax).

Seattle in and of itself has started to become an LA but with over the top pricing for items such as food, taxes, tolls, labor etc...no reason for it other than pure greed. Example...Seattles food offerings compared to LA are at best...weak and very over-priced. I could walk into the Japanese market in OC and walk out with a case (24 cans) of Asahi beer for $12.XX...here in Seattle...forget it...it will sit you back closer to $25.00. Wanna have a burger meal? Got to IN N OUT and you get:

1 Double Double
1 fries
1 med. coke

$6.XX

In Seattle everyone thinks a burger is to be sold at a premium price. One is looking at a min of roughly $12.XX+ for something similar and not half as good.

IMO...Seattle has nothing to offer that justify's it's current pricing. The mere lack of sunshine should be enough in and of itself to keep prices down. People may be moving here but it isn't because of the weather or the social scene.
OK, if you want to bring on a fast food war, here we go. Dick's is better than In 'n Out IMO. And the prices are similar. Dick's Deluxe, fries, drink, 6 bucks or so, probably even less. Weather? Well, I wish your SoCal friends well, hope they can live without a lot of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area